BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Reliability of the K100RS on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:38 pm

idc1233333

Hi everyone, I've been looking around for a little while at bmw k100's. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted one. Im looking at 85-89s and was wondering how reliable they are. I have a scooter right now which is fun but its not a bike. I'd like to get one but how long should I expect them to last and what should i look at when searching. What miles are too high and how much should I expect to pay. Thanks Very Happy

2Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
The first K100 was produced in 1983, but it really started to be on the market by the end of 1984.
Amazingly, 26 years later a lot of them are still on the road and in very good shape.
Over the years, BMW produced different flavors of the K100 (RT, LT, RS and RS 4 valves). They also produced a K1100.
By 1989, BMW had solved the majority the problems encountered in the earlier version.
You can see the evolution of the K100 Here
Mileage is not a real issue as you can ride them for ever (I have a K75 with 350K and original engine). If you find a bike with less than 50K, it should provide you with many many years of enjoyment.
Price.... depending on the condition, mileage and accessories, you could expect to pay as low as $1,800 and up to $5,000.
Why buying a newer one?
On the early K bikes, the engine output shaft had only 6 rivets. The newest ones have 12
By 1986(?) the drive shaft was replaced (one more spline).
The latest K100rs have a 4 valves engine.
Why buying an older one (1985 K100rt)?
10 more Horse Power.

Start to look around, and before buying one let us know what you found. Depending of the year and the model, we will help you to ask the right questions.
Usually, BMW riders are honest and they will disclose any problem but....... you could always find a rotten apple in the bag.

Good luck.

Bert

3Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:59 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi there,
Looking at the following site http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/bmwmodels.htm you can look at the power output of the various iterations of the K100. You can see that the most powerful K100 is the K100RS 4 Valve with an output of 100 hp and torque of 100 Nm that is without question the most powerful Kand if power is what you want then the 4 valve K is the one to go for.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:17 pm

With all due respect to the marque, K-bikes are referred to as 'appliances' because they are so reliable. All biKes have their troubles, but these biKes are LiKe a rocK.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:11 am

Ajays

Life time member
Life time member
idc,
This is what is going in the UK.
http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=bmw+k100&_sacat=9800

If you go onto the US side of ebay there are a couple on there.

You have taste..!
Ajays

AJAYS

6Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:56 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Good to see you are doing some research and there is a wealth of knowledge out there on these bikes.
Do plenty of reading as there are a few "quirks" to look out for.
If you are mechanically competent and have the facilities then you can get away with a cheaper bike but if you prefer to ride rather than fix then get the best one you can afford.
K-Bike is a little biased regarding the 16V Very Happy but it is arguably the best looking with better brakes, improved fuel injection and being the last of the "100" series should have all the improvements done.
If you have not ridden a "proper bike" before then this will be a massive step up but they still compare quite favourably with modern bikes and parts (even aftermarket parts) and information are still readily available.

You could do a lot worse.

Regards,

Phil

7Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:27 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
And make sure its red...they go faster!

Remember Rule No. 6

8Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Bruce

Silver member
Silver member
No, No! add more stickers, THAT makes them go faster!

9Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:43 am

green cat

Silver member
Silver member
I own one of the first models, built in october 1983 and the only problem i've had on it is breakink the shaft. Everithing on it is original except that, and the motronic, and my bike is in perfect shape. as you can see

10Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:59 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi green cat,
What was involved in retrofitting the Motronic?

Regards,

Phil

11Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 am

green cat

Silver member
Silver member
I sometimes had cuts, not very important but... i thought about hall effect sensors, but no, i inspected the wiring loom, nothing... and as i had another motronic, i changed it and .... yes!!!! no more trouble. As i'm not an expert in electronics, i gave it to a friend of mine whose diagnostic is bad welding of a component (factory done!!!) but it lasted for 20 years!!!! he welded it again and my former motronic is on another bike , perfectly running yet

12Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:50 pm

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
IDC
My 87 K100rs is my first beemer
I bought it because

A I always fancied a 'flying brick'
B I heard they were very reliable and could easily attain
very high, six figure milages which other bikes can only dream of
C it was a steal for what I paid for it.
I'm not disapointed, its a real milemuncher as they say
100mph cruising is easy, but illegal here sadly.
Parts availability is superb for a bike this age
It gives better MPG than my carb fed Honda 500
Its a heavy bike but you're only aware of this at slow speed/parking etc

Its black-ish, but following the advice above will
paint it red AND add loads of stickers too

13Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:21 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
My RS is my fourth BMW.
Bought it because...
it was a BMW,
it was cheap,
it was red.
They're not too thick on the ground where I live.
Such a luuuuurverly bike to ride.
Compared to a friends XV750, this thing is a tractor.
Definately a keeper.

Remember Rule No. 6

14Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:38 pm

slowride

I've only had mine for about six months??? Until then, I'd never been on a K bike, never heard of a K bike, etc, etc.

In the short time that I've been lucky enough to have it I've found that there is a veritable plethora of information (much of it here) regarding maintenance. Parts are easily attainable. I've ordered many parts from bikebandits.com as well as motobins.com.

I have a Clymers manual and that along with help from everybody on this sight has allowed me to take care of any issues that I've had myself.

It's a great bike for the long haul as I've been on one long trip thus far. All in all, I'm more excited about it now than I was when I got it.

slowride

15Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:54 pm

club_c

Life time member
Life time member
@blakey wrote:Compared to a friends XV750, this thing is a tractor.
Definately a keeper.
I know a thing or two about XV's, mod on another site. Yes the K is the nicer bike...

16Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:29 pm

rudwotmd

Hello I’ll be purchasing two 1985 k-100rs. What are some common problems with k-100?
Also according to the seller one of the bike’s odometer doesn’t work and does not have record of the mileage. Any way for me to find out how much mileage was put on?

Sent from Topic'it App

17Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:46 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
The common ones here are Drive shafts and odos that have munched the plastic gears.
With 2 K100s you should be able to get a good one on the road and have heaps of spares then with regular maintenance it will last a long time.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

18Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:23 pm

rudwotmd

@RicK G wrote:The common ones here are Drive shafts and odos that have munched the plastic gears.
With 2 K100s you should be able to get a good one on the road and have heaps of spares then with regular maintenance it will last a long time.

Thank you! Hopefully everything works out and I will have these in my possession soon!

Sent from Topic'it App

19Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Two Wheels Better

@green cat wrote:I sometimes had cuts, not very important but... i thought about hall effect sensors, but no, i inspected the wiring loom, nothing... and as i had another motronic, i changed it and .... yes!!!! no more trouble. As i'm not an expert in electronics, i gave it to a friend of mine whose diagnostic is bad welding of a component (factory done!!!) but it lasted for 20 years!!!! he welded it again and my former motronic is on another bike , perfectly running yet
Motronic wasn't used until the 16V K100 models, from late '80s, then regularly with the K11 models. Perhaps you simply meant the ECU?

'87 K100RS, '93 K1100RS frame with '02 K1200RS motor, brakes & wheels, aka theBig Block.

Writing is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way. ~E.L. Doctorow

20Back to top Go down    Re: Reliability of the K100RS on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Snod Blatter

Life time member
Life time member
I've had a few niggles, an electrical gremlin that was down to a broken solder joint and the HT leads corroded and had to be replaced, but generally it has been pretty good. The shaft/final drive and clutch are all time bombs but no trouble so far, going from 61K to 77K. Oh and the radiator did spring a leak, easily replaced with an 1100 model. The forks have also never held oil while I've owned it and I'm now on my third shock but hey, that didn't stop it from going!

Overall, they're not bad.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum