BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    New Fan for Big Red on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:38 pm

T3CHNO1D

avatar
active member
active member
So I need a new fan for Big Red, dummy me, I bought two.

Bought a FF Dynamic fan, cheaper version of theSpal 30100402 for $59 on fleabay, nice fan, works great, identical to the Spal.

I also ordered a fan from Aliexpress,THE FAN, thought that it might be worth a look at $29 US ($35 Cdn) with free shipping.

Well the both arrived, both are actually nice fans, I like the AliExpress one as it does cover more surface area of the radiator so should cool more when compared to the FF Dynamic or the Spal as neither of those brands have the shroud. They both sound the same, appear to have the same power and blow about as hard as each other.

Thought I'd pass on the info in case anyone needs a fan and has time to wait to get it shipped slow boat from you know where.





The bracket holes actually do line up to the radiator... see bottom of picture...



But I think I will make a bracket to move it into the center to get more air through it...


__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
Model Production Date/Serial Number
K100 1985 ???? / (F0030125)
    

2Back to top Go down    Re: New Fan for Big Red on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:47 pm

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
Thanks for that Red I look like needing a fan on my K1100


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

3Back to top Go down    Re: New Fan for Big Red on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:15 pm

brickrider

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
You say one fan is preferred because it covers more surface area of the radiator. In the pix, the diameter of the two fan's blades looks to be identical. What am I missing here? Question

    

4Back to top Go down    Re: New Fan for Big Red on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:41 pm

T3CHNO1D

avatar
active member
active member
@brickrider wrote:You say one fan is preferred because it covers more surface area of the radiator. In the pix, the diameter of the two fan's blades looks to be identical. What am I missing here? Question
Because the shroud is square, instead of just round, and the shroud is designed to channel the air towards the fan, it covers about an extra 6 square inches of radiator when compared to the round fan only. More surface area means more hot air is being drawn into the fan, therefore more cool will occur. Most cars use a shroud to increase the fans effectiveness, same with this fan.


__________________________________________________
__________________________________________________
Model Production Date/Serial Number
K100 1985 ???? / (F0030125)
    

5Back to top Go down    Re: New Fan for Big Red on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:10 pm

88

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Nice find - I hope it stands the test of time. I'm just wondering if there would be room to squeeze two of them in there side by side to cover the whole rad space?


__________________________________________________
88....May contain nuts!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick! Mods: k1100 screen and stands.
K1: 1990. 6374189. Custom Stealth Black paint.
    

6Back to top Go down    Re: New Fan for Big Red on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:31 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
88KE wrote:Nice find - I hope it stands the test of time. I'm just wondering if there would be room to squeeze two of them in there side by side to cover the whole rad space?

I was thinking of that....my car has two side by side.....in France the fan was coming on even riding slow in town...... in 35C. I finally see what the thing is about the fans. Moving very slowly wasn't enough to stop it coming on [full rad flush and new water/oil pump and coolant in 2014].

However there are two frame tubes in front and I think the fan sits between them......


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Alaska Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Baja Red bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Mystic Red 58,645 now 80,700 miles
    

7Back to top Go down    Aliexpress Fan on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 pm

flyinglow

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
I have not been able to find this fan. Do you have a web site and part number. Looks like good one.

    

8Back to top Go down    FF Dynamic Fan on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 pm

flyinglow

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Do you have a part number for this one? It looks like FF Dynamic make many fan versions.they make.

    

9Back to top Go down    Re: New Fan for Big Red on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Laitch

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@flyinglow wrote:Do you have a part number for this one? It looks like FF Dynamic make many fan versions.they make.
If you are logged in, click on the words THE FAN in post #1.


__________________________________________________
1995 K75T 68,000 miles
    

10Back to top Go down    Re: New Fan for Big Red on Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:47 am

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:
88KE wrote:Nice find - I hope it stands the test of time. I'm just wondering if there would be room to squeeze two of them in there side by side to cover the whole rad space?

I was thinking of that....my car has two side by side.....in France the fan was coming on even riding slow in town...... in 35C. I finally see what the thing is about the fans. Moving very slowly wasn't enough to stop it coming on [full rad flush and new water/oil pump and coolant in 2014].

However there are two frame tubes in front and I think the fan sits between them......

not only two frame tubes buta cross member support bracket- frame that restricts the fan size


currently working on the idea of moving the radiator forward a touch on the bottom frame mounts(and top frame rubberised isolator -retainer ) to encourage a little more flow through the radiator ,. with additional cowl to direct the flow towards the centre , as there is quite an amount of dead area at the frame down tubes . a close fitincreasingdistance fromradiator cowl to fan will need to be made to encourage this flow .

well that's what I'm thinking so far


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum