BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Smoking at startup Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:01 am

piper1

piper1
Hi guys, I'm General John. I'm new here and greetings from South Africa! I have a K100RS 1988 that was standing for a while.
So, when I fire her up, it's just smoke, like in, James Bond would like it. It seams to go away after she's warmed up.
Can one of you guru's tel me what to do? Shocked

2Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Re: Smoking at startup Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:25 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
A 1988 model, she's old enough to smoke.

With the engine's top end pointing generally downhill when left on the sidestand, oil seeps past the rings into the combustion chamber. They're best parked on the centrestand.

The smoke should go away after a while, but while she's smoking it's good mossie control when camping.

3Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Re: Smoking at startup Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:16 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Another option for avoiding the smoky startup from oil seeping past the rings:

Turn the bike off and then tilt it to the right for about 10-15 seconds before placing it on the side stand. This allows the oil behind the pistons to drain back into the sump so that there's less there to seep past the rings.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Re: Smoking at startup Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
And also don't over fill it with oil. To the center of the sight glass when parked on the main stand is enough.

5Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Re: Smoking at startup Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:03 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Avenger GT wrote:And also don't over fill it with oil. To the center of the sight glass when parked on the main stand is enough.

That has NO impact on how much oil is behind the pistons when you shut down the bike and put it on the side stand. You can have the oil level at the bottom of the ring and if you put it on the side stand right away it will still make just as much smoke.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

6Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Smoking at startup Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:37 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome from the best hemisphere.
I had a similar problem with my 85K, smoked liked crazy when I first got her to work after purchase.
I finally realised I actually couldn't see the oil level through the sight glass anymore. I emptied the oil out and found I had almost an extra litre in there. So I bought and fitted a new sight glass and most of the problem was solved. 
Still smokes a bit after being on the sidestand, but I consider that a badge of respect for it's age, and never apologise for it anymore.

Good luck with it
RT

7Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Re: Smoking at startup Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Yep. This is what I found also. Too much oil from the PO. After much consternation and worry I stumbled across an old guy who was a retired BMW m/c mechanic who said "it was probably overfilled. Just empty and refill with correct amount". Common problem with the sight glass as RT mentioned. I fill with 3 litres and then gradually till I can see it in the bottom of the sight glass. It will help not to fill past half way.
My old girl is not a smoker but I've adjusted the side-stand so it doesn't lean as much and I usually use the centre-stand anyway.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Smoking at startup Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

8Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Re: Smoking at startup Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:24 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have found that if you have too much as in over the centre line on the sight glass then they will use more oil and that if left on the side stand they do accumulate oil in the combustion chamber and if an exhaust valve is open then it gets into the muffler and that causes a lot of smoke. As Duck has said lean it over to the right for a short time then back to the side stand, they still smoke but nowhere as much. I try to use the centre stand as much as possible.
Also engines tend to get a prefered place to rest at and more often than not stop in that place so that some engines smoke more as they tend to get more oil seepage.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Re: Smoking at startup Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:05 pm

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome from the left hand side of the continent on the right hand side in the right hemisphere.

How's life in the left hand side continent?

I have five runners and none of them smoke when left on the center stand. parked one on the side stand for a few weeks once and wet a plug so was cylindrically challenged till the plug was removed and cleaned. Side stand has had zero wear since then!

10Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Smoking at startup Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:25 am

piper1

piper1
WOW! you guy's rock! Thanks for all the replies and telling me what to do Very Happy I realy thaught I have to replace the valve stem seals and oil rings 🤡
Kind regards to ya all ...Razz

11Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Re: Smoking at startup Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:41 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
rawdonball wrote:Welcome from the left hand side of the continent on the right hand side in the right hemisphere.
Uh - does the left hand actually know what the right hand is doing??

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

12Back to top Go down   Smoking at startup Empty Re: Smoking at startup Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:18 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:A 1988 model, she's old enough to smoke.

Even newer ones are old enough to smoke. Due to garage logistics (fitting three bikes and a car into a small garage) I generally park my Ks on the side stand. Even my K1100s are very good at putting up a decent cloud if left on the side stand for a few weeks or so.

Early on it worried me somewhat but once I understood the cause and that it was just oil seeping past the rings it became more of a humorous novelty to me.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]