BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Helmets and wind noise on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:29 am

Rickmeister

Life time member
Life time member
Dear Forummers, I would like to hear from your collective wisdom and vast experience re: wind noise in helmets. I'm currently in the market for a new helmet. My existing crash hat requires me to insert earplugs, to reduce the noise. Without fail, after a shortish period of insertion/removal/insertion/removal of aforementioned plugs, the wax in the ears gets compressed against the eardrum and I go deaf. After a barbed wire pull through and a Gerni flush of the ears my hearing is somewhat restored. But it is a PITA.

Helmet shops won't allow a "test run" of any particular helmet. My local motorcycle shop recommended Shoie, others AGV, Arai etc. Money is not going to be an issue (within reason). I realise that this is also a very subjective thing, with no info re: dBs of noise level at 120Km/h.

So, I would like to hear from your collective experience in this matter.

Thanx, Rickmeister.

2Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:48 am

AL-58

Life time member
Life time member
I'm very happy with my Shoei Neotec. It's well and truly the quietest flip front I've had.  My quietest helmet overall is a BMW Sport Integrale, but its no longer available and fogs like a bastard in wet conditions, bloody comfy too.

Al

'87 K100RT with Paralever backend

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

3Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:56 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Shoei XR-1100 - the quietest and most comfortable helmet I've ever had. It looks like the Shoei NXR is going to be its replacement - I hope not. I want another XR-1100, despite the price (£440). It comes with a pinlock anti-fog visor too which actually works.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

4Back to top Go down    wind noise on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:01 am

nvboy

Silver member
Silver member
I wear a Bell Revolver Evo modular and get a lot of wind noise.  Just for kicks one day I duct taped the seam for the flip up portion and it cut the noise in half.  Riding an RS with stock bars and stock windscreen doesn't help.  I wear ear plugs all the time.  Other than the wind noise the Bell is pretty good.

Darrin

5Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:50 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I struggle to use ear plugs of any kind, or in ear speakers etc, hate them. I also found they affected my ability to hear other vehicles in close proximity.

Funny thing I normally use an Oxford balaclava under my helmet and with the RT/LT screen noise has not been an issue for me, especially if I have the visor closed. Closing off the fork through fairing holes also cuts down a lot of noise.

Recently bought a Nolan G.Rex 9.1 flip front helmet and am happy with it.

The one thing that seems to make a difference is the tall screen, I don't have any buffeting.

6Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:10 am

ainsjac

Life time member
Life time member
Rick, I have had a Shoei flip for about 8 years and it was good, untill I got a Christmas/birthday present of a BMW evo 6 (cheaper than a replacement Shoei). Very happy with it...better fit than a Shoei, but I do wear custom fitted ear plugs which are fantasic. Amazing the difference with noise..between the basic and rt....both with windscreens. Good luck...but I do like the flips when glasses are concerned.

7Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:58 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Put a K1100 screen on it and don't buy an Rjays, they are comfortable but the noise is worse than an overcrowed school bus.

8Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:12 pm

Two Wheels Better

I use several helmets (kept between here and Australia), all with different levels of wind roar. My 11 year old Shoei X11 is the most comfortable and by far the quietest, unless I open the vents, followed by my new Nexx (Portugeuse) XR1 carbon (fiddly and flimsy), then the seven year old, tatty Arai Corsair (a lion's roar!), and lastly, the eight year old HJC AC12 carbon, which is like entering the cave of the winds but oh, so cool on Summer days. They all make excessive noise. So I always wear these ear plugs...

...even if simply popping round the corner to the shops.

I recently bought a new Shoei X12, but I've only worn it once on a quick ride at lunch from the workshop, and my impression was that it fit well (medium long oval) and was quiet on an unfaired bike.

At work we sell all models of Arai, all Shoei, the Schuberth C3 Pro only, and HJC AG17 models so that we have a sub-$200 'cheapie' on offer. In order of warranty repair and frequency it's by far, Schuberth (irritating little clips falling off, liners coming apart, SRC failures), then HJC, followed by Arai (mostly top vents) then lastly it's Shoei. In fifteen years it's been two chin vents and a coupla visor clips. Schuberth fit rounder heads better than long or medium oval, but they're poorly made for a premium helmet, not befitting the usual impression of German quality.

In addition, to alleviate wind roar I raise the 'screen on my R1150RT or my K1200GT just a smidgen when ripping along the motorway or highway. When I'm on a 'naked' bike I live with it, but often there's 'cleaner' air when you're not behind a 'screen and that is enough sometimes.

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT

9Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:42 pm

indian036

Life time member
Life time member
My newest helmet is a Nolan I bought in Luxembourg. It has a latch mechanism where you push the visor towards your face and it clicks into place and seals properly. Definitely my quietest helmet. Doesn't seem to make much difference whether vents are open or closed. 

The Bell evo flip front is convenient, but not quiet. 

Either way, I still use earplugs for more than a very short ride. 

Also, turbulence around the windscreen top can make a difference. Crouching down or standing on the pegs makes a difference, but you can't do that other than for experimentation purposes. 

Bill

1984 K100RT White. VIN. 0023022K100RT  ENG 104EA32848523

10Back to top Go down    Wind Noise on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:36 am

td5

Silver member
Silver member
I use a Shoei Neotec and I must say it is quite quiet

11Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:33 am

Shep

Silver member
Silver member
I only have HJC helmets and I am now looking for a quieter helmet to tune out the incredibly noisy K100 RS I ride. I have two wind screens, the original one with the adjustable deflector vane and one the PO made which is similar but a few inches higher without the adjustable vane.
They both appear to generate excess turbulence and noise at my helmet height. This happens with or without the adjustable vane and at all positions of the adjustable vane. As indian036 indicated earlier: If I stand on the pegs above the windscreen in the clean air or I duck down completely behind the windscreen it becomes substantially quieter and I am at peace with the world. I never realized how noisy it was until I stood up on the pegs one day!
I will look for some of the other threads on windscreens and helmets before I purchase my next helmet.
Thanks for helmet information.
Shep

12Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:58 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
I had two HJCs... they're noisy. Period. And heavy. Never again.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

13Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:18 pm

SteveK1

Silver member
Silver member
indian036 wrote:My newest helmet is a Nolan I bought in Luxembourg. It has a latch mechanism where you push the visor towards your face and it clicks into place and seals properly. Definitely my quietest helmet. Doesn't seem to make much difference whether vents are open or closed. 

The Bell evo flip front is convenient, but not quiet. 

Either way, I still use earplugs for more than a very short ride. 

Also, turbulence around the windscreen top can make a difference. Crouching down or standing on the pegs makes a difference, but you can't do that other than for experimentation purposes. 

Bill

I also use a Nolan Flip-up and like it a lot, esp for the price.  Moving the sun-visor to the first click-down or all the way down makes it a little more quiet too.

Honda CB360T 1975

14Back to top Go down    Helmet and Wind noise on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:56 pm

Carl Middleton

I have got a Bell helmet fitted with two top, two rear and one mouth sited air vents - it makes too much noise at high speed. I am also looking to find a quiet model - I have been looking far ages to find a helmet with simple smooth lines (and no air vents) - after all I ride in the UK, I don't need vents to let the heat out, the sun only comes out for two weeks in the summer (if we are lucky).

http://www.neatdesign.org

15Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:57 pm

brickrider

Life time member
Life time member
The search for a quiet helmet  is endless.  Given that we all have distinct shapes to our noggins, I'm cautious about helmet recommendations.  That said, I sure wish someone would bite the bullet and buy one of these:  http://www.quietridehelmets.com/
Then give us some feedback.  I struggle with ear plugs too, but I sure value my (diminishing) ability to hear, so I always wear them.

16Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:18 pm

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
Rickmiester, The Ulysses Club has had a conversation just like this one, but on it many have said the Nolan N44 helmet is working for them, I've only ever had open face helmets so cant help. But apparently the N44 is gaining a rep as a good helmet in or behind a screen.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

17Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:30 am

Two Wheels Better

brickrider wrote:The search for a quiet helmet  is endless.  Given that we all have distinct shapes to our noggins, I'm cautious about helmet recommendations.  That said, I sure wish someone would bite the bullet and buy one of these:  http://www.quietridehelmets.com/
Then give us some feedback.  I struggle with ear plugs too, but I sure value my (diminishing) ability to hear, so I always wear them.
The Quietrider helmet is interesting looking with some kewl features, but that external bladder is incongruous attached to the outside in a lump as it is. Scorpion have had an internal pump for the cheek/side pads on a few of their fullface models for yonks now. The bladder is neatly tucked away inside the helmet. Methinks it's a bit of marketing to highlight the 'difference' on QR's part. Or perhaps snowmobile riders with their massive Winter gloves need better access than trail and street riders. Under $270 for a fibreglass helmet isn't too bad a price to pay if that's what you're seeking. I'll stick to my Hearos Rock 'n' Roll earplugs.

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT

18Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:42 am

Two Wheels Better

Dai wrote:I had two HJCs... they're noisy. Period. And heavy. Never again.
My 2007 model HJC AC12 carbon weighs just 2.8 pounds, and is breezy and noisy. The fibreglass HJC AC17, a current model helmet we stock (as a cheapie offering) weighs 3.6 pounds. This is about average as the typical fullface Shoei (without built-in sunnies such as the GT-Air) is 3.3 to 3.6 pounds, and an average fullface Arai is the same at 3.4 to 3.6 pounds. Even the Schuberth C3 Pro flip-up only weighs approximately 3-1/2 pounds (1570 to 1645 grams, shell size dependent).

Helmets have only averaged about a half a pound lighter than their predecessors in the past decade to fifteen years. The Scuberth C3 Pro is by far the quietest at 82Db in open air at 100kp/h. If you can get it to fit a non-rounded head.

19Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:11 pm

brickrider

Life time member
Life time member
I tried a Scorpion helmet with the air bladders.  I thought the concept was a good one, but in practice I found the helmet was super snug, even without inflating the bladders.  It left me wondering what sort of head the thing was designed for.
There is a significant difference between the Scorpion and Quietride helmets: the latter surrounds the ears with a bladder.  I think the Scorpion design makes no attempt to isolate the ears in that fashion so there is little or no noise reduction achieved.

20Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Two Wheels Better

My comparo tween the two brands was simply to highlight the strikingly different methods of inflating the inner bits. One is sleek and efficient while the other is lumpy, awkward, and perhaps efficient.

21Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:31 pm

k-rider

Life time member
Life time member
i use a schubert c3 carbon helmet , it weighs about 1400 gr , and is supposed to be real quiet ,
it may be , but not on a k rs, i tried custom ear plugs , and didnt find them better than the cheap foam plugs,
but now i have found the solution , i bought an intercom ,interphone F5mc, with the hi-fi speakers for the c3 helmet Very Happy
now , instead of all the wind noise , i have a concert hall on my head
yes , it really is that good .
it even have a noise reduction system that alows me to answer the phone , voice activated , and lead a conversation at a 120 km/h
without the caller noticing im riding on the motorway:bmw:

k-rider

22Back to top Go down    Quieter and not to pricey on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:19 pm

Gauntlett

Recently bought a shark evo 3, recommended by a friend, what a difference from any other flip up I've tried, very quiet in all configurations and tested and approved in openface or full face configurations, internet prices go as low as £185.

23Back to top Go down    Re: Helmets and wind noise on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:33 pm

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
I am using these when I ride.  Really comfortable and totally eliminate engine noise and almost all the wind noise when I ride my RS.  Easiest plugs I've ever stuck in my head.  Easy to clean, too.

Important gear if I want to do 700+ miles a day.  A pair lasts me over a month of daily use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pair-3M-Uncorded-Skull-Screws-Ear-Plugs-Foam-Earplugs-P1300-NRR-32-/291550558822?hash=item43e1c47a66

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum