BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty blinkers Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:18 pm

Ken52

Ken52
still waiting for rear brake pads, in the mean time when I hit the left blinker it kicks on thr right blinker too. now the right blinker doesn't do that Idea why. thanks.. Rolling Eyes

2Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:04 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check fuse #7 it may be blown or Open so check it with a meter, don't rely on a visual for those blade type fuses.
Then again you may need to replace the blinker fluid http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22 Laughing

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:19 am

kioolt

kioolt
Silver member
Silver member
I don't believe there's any benefit to synthetic blinker fluid over dino blinker fluid.  I'll stick with dino blinker fluid.

Total 422,400 BMW miles

AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

4Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:20 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I'm thinking your blinking blinker relay is on the blink.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:34 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
One other thing that I have seen cause blinker problems is bad brushes in the starter. Yes I know that sounds crazy but the earth for the load shedding relay goes through the starter and a bad earth there will cause the blinkers to play up.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

6Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:20 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I have a hyper flash on the r/h side... been making me go epileptic the last few weeks. Bulbs and wiring test ok. I swapped out with another unit and new blinker fluid. Problem persists so I'll take a look at the starter brushes. Thanks Rick.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 blinkers Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

7Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:57 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Nige if its hyper flashing perhaps you also have some H/R in one of your connectors and the bulb relay is not seeing all the wattage it requires to blink slower. You might need thicker fluid mate, have you tried 5 weight? Twisted Evil

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

8Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:50 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Someone, somewhere in the world is sitting at their computer wondering about this blinker fluid we're going on about...

Great isn't it!

10W is good. Suits the warmer climates.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

9Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:38 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Bike shops and Auto parts stores must love us Laughing

The inventors name was Henry Hokes I believe, assists the smooth transition of electrical smoke from one end to the other of an electrical circuit, aint that right?

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

10Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:14 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
It all comes down to the co-efficient of dynamic viscosity of the blinker fluid you're using. Its easy to calculate the required viscosity by dividing the dynamic viscosity by the current draw for each bulb, multiplied by the inverse square of the flash rate....  blinkers 8157

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 blinkers Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

11Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:45 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I've read that, reminded me of the wet bulb temperature readings. The coefficient of friction increases with the flash rate and the temperature differential improves with the wattage used.
Bloody good stuff that blinker fluid.

12Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:13 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Check fuse #7 it may be blown or Open so check it with a meter, don't rely on a visual for those blade type fuses.
Then again you may need to replace the blinker fluid http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22 Laughing

regarding the blinker fluid, i cant seem to find a tutorial in the HOW TO section, for example , how much is needed , and where do i put it , anyone bounce

k-rider

13Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:41 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
K75cster wrote:Nige if its hyper flashing perhaps you also have some H/R in one of your connectors and the bulb relay is not seeing all the wattage it requires to blink slower. You might need thicker fluid mate, have you tried 5 weight? Twisted Evil

I am really confused. blinkers 8157
Does the 'W' refer to the weight or the wattage?
And how does that relate to volts? And temperature?

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

14Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:40 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Your not alone Rossco, Watt Weight is also a denialist's statement. Very Happy But as the Kaptain states above, its all to do with fluid dynamics, Electron flow can be hindered by old flasher units amounst other things like unlubricated wiring and dry connectors, as you know these units are sealed units and don't usually need any maintenance, (hence K Bike not tutorial) But you know how BMW shed mechanics must find a way to improve everything, Sealed Shockies for example being rebuilt etc. I think we could buy flash lube once from Morleys?. So Blinker Fluid has become available in different Watt weights to the average shedder who wants his Watts to flow better or more fluidly. Tis good stuff. All blinker parts are sealed from the factory, but that wont stop us busying ourselves with things like this.

15Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Oh No what did I start Poor Ken will think he has got the real funny farm instead of the K forum Laughing

16Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:44 pm

GTJos

GTJos
Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:Oh No what did I start Poor Ken will think he has got the real funny farm instead of the K forum Laughing
Rolling Eyes Hmmmm... Is there a difference then ?! cheers

1986 K100RS 0085647 + sidecar Velorex 562
                                1985  K100RT  0027026

17Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:25 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I hope Ken has found a solution to that blinker issue, Its gone very quiet.

18Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty blinkers Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Ken52

Ken52
Ken52 wrote:still waiting for rear brake pads, in the mean time when I hit the left blinker it kicks on the right blinker too. now the right blinker doesn't do that Idea why. thanks.. Rolling Eyes
still having the issue with the blinkers ,left side switch turns into flasher. after system is warm could it be low brake pad warning, unable to check recently. fingers are too stiff. but got the brake pads from Amazon witch was good.  take care fellows.

19Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There is no sensor for low brake pads so it certainly wont be that.
The blinker unit has 2 wires that supply 12 volts and when one isn't working then that is the type of problems that present themselves. I haven't got all my circuits with me but the interactive circuit via the portal page will give you that info. Also check the earth points under the tank on the left side of the top tube and the gearbox above the coils for corrosion and dirt to ensure good connections.  Bad earths can play havoc with any electrical system.

20Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:23 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
k-rider wrote:
RicK G wrote:Check fuse #7 it may be blown or Open so check it with a meter, don't rely on a visual for those blade type fuses.

regarding the blinker fluid, i cant seem to find a tutorial in the HOW TO section, for example , how much is needed , and where do i put it , anyone bounce

k-rider
This brand is highly recommended:
blinkers Flashlube

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

blinkers K-dogs10

21Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty blinkers Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Ken52

Ken52
blinker still turning to flasher of left side,but found the problem with the brake warning light. got that fixed. Very Happy

22Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty blinker fluid Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:28 pm

Ken52

Ken52
RicK G wrote:Oh No what did I start Poor Ken will think he has got the real funny farm instead of the K forum Laughing
must be similar to DEF fluid witch I sell at work, maybe..

23Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty trying to restore this old bike Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:32 pm

Ken52

Ken52
Ken52 wrote:still waiting for rear brake pads, in the mean time when I hit the left blinker it kicks on thr right blinker too. now the right blinker doesn't do that Idea why. thanks.. Rolling Eyes
Found out it has new brake pads,had to readjust all the brake cable linkages.

Working on all associated issues, never owned a BMW before. Will take apart switches next day off, getting into winter now, colder and wetter. you fellows take care.. Smile Surprised-o:

24Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty blinkers Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:24 am

Ken52

Ken52
RicK G wrote:There is no sensor for low brake pads so it certainly wont be that.
The blinker unit has 2 wires that supply 12 volts and when one isn't working then that is the type of problems that present themselves. I haven't got all my circuits with me but the interactive circuit via the portal page will give you that info. Also check the earth points under the tank on the left side of the top tube and the gearbox above the coils for corrosion and dirt to ensure good connections.  Bad earths can play havoc with any electrical system.
it seems to be the ground ,wiggle the wire and they will work somewhat. thankyou. blinkers 212902

25Back to top Go down   blinkers Empty Re: blinkers Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:34 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Ken52 wrote: Will take apart switches next day off, getting into winter now:

Put them in a plastic bag and unscrew them in there. Especially with cold winter fingers.
Lot of bits that want their freedom in those switches and 30 years of confinement only makes them hungrier for the darkest corner of your garage floor.
And look at the 'how to's' on the forum. Lots of good info and photos.

Welcome. Don't think I have said that yet.

rosskk(kk)o

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum