BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Oil leak question Empty Oil leak question Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:27 pm

KJustin

KJustin
Silver member
Silver member
I have oil leaking from the plate where the oil filter goes.  It's leaking quite a bit and making a huge mess.  This began after I changed the oil (and oil filter) to Shell Rotella with the hope of stopping my sprag clutch from slipping (the Rotella, along with avoiding shorter rides, seems to have cured that problem).

When I changed my oil and filter I did use a new rubber gasket on the filter cover plate.  I think that it was fully embedded in the cover and do not think that I pinched it. 

Before I change the oil again and put in a new gasket, anyone have any ideas about what I might have done wrong or tips to prevent future leakage?  I've never had any leak there before.  TIA!

Last edited by KJustin on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

2Back to top Go down   Oil leak question Empty Re: Oil leak question Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Been there, done that, got really hacked off with it. One simple thing to check (and sorry, but you need to get the filter plate off again); ensure that the mating surfaces are scrupulously clean.  If you're absolutely sure of that (and I was), I ran a thin smear of the devil's goo (AKA silicon gasket cement) around the filter plate on the area outside of the sealing ring. That stopped it without any worry of getting gasket cement inside the oil sump.

I never did find a definitive reason why but I suspect a slight warpage of the filter cover. It's only thin cast ally.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Oil leak question Empty Re: Oil leak question Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:24 pm

KJustin

KJustin
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Dai. Good advice. It's always possible I warped the cover by overtightening one of the bolts last time I reinstalled it. Will try giving it a good clean and using some silicone.

4Back to top Go down   Oil leak question Empty Re: Oil leak question Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:50 pm

KPilot

KPilot
I had a similar problem. After checking the o ring and that the surfaces were clean, it still dripped. I used a small amount of hondabond, which should be safe in that envirinment.

5Back to top Go down   Oil leak question Empty Re: Oil leak question Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:12 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
had a similar apparent issue

turned out to be not the oil seal ...but the screws holding the oil filter plate

I had installed some cheapo screws that hold the plate n place ...after a bit of observation I found that the thread pitch was correct ...but the thread thickness - depth was wanting ....replacement screws were obtained ..and without any silicon or resurfacing involved at all ..the issue disappeared

food for thought at a minimum

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Oil leak question Empty Re: Oil leak question Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:18 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
While you're at it be careful not to overtighten the cover plate screws. DAMHIK

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R