BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Extended cables needed Empty Extended cables needed on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:35 am

FatRakoon

FatRakoon
My K100 trike is well on its way to being rideable safely.

Very soon, I am going to be changing the handlebars. Bringing the ride up, outwards and towards me a fair bit, so it will be easier and more comfortable to use.

I have a 1984 K100 RS and it is injected. ( do both carbed and injected models exist? ).

The brakes are seemingly standard braided jobbies and so I think I should be ok there, but I am not sure about everything else... In honesty, I have not yet had a look either.

I am therefore, considering cables that are about 12" longer than stock.

The choke ( or equivalent ) could easily be put elsewhere, or hell even left further down the bar perhaps, so I may get away with that, plus the lever is a weird affair and I will probably opt to do away with that and get a completely new lever to be honest... My CBR Modification ended up a bloody cable tie hanging out the left side of the engine.

The clutch and throtle being the ones I am most concerned about.

Anyway... I am in the UK. Does anyone know of anywhere that I could get the cables from? Anyone recommend anything to guide me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot.

4Back to top Go down   Extended cables needed Empty Re: Extended cables needed on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:48 pm

jrocker3235

jrocker3235
Lol... Just trying to help a brother out.  Make sure you post pics of that beast when you get it done.

5Back to top Go down   Extended cables needed Empty Re: Extended cables needed on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:58 pm

FatRakoon

FatRakoon
Absolutely I will...

Here it is, in a semi state

Extended cables needed Bmw_410

I wont put loads of pics cos its just not in a condition that I am proud of... Its a bloody mess to be honest.

Here is the back-end... As you can see the block in place where I need to fit the shock back. The one there, is the stock shock and its a rock hard back end, and sitting way too high... Smaller softer shock will hopefully stop it pushing the front end into the ground, and will ease up the steering a little.

Extended cables needed Suzz311

I am also going to be doing a great deal of cleaning and tidying up the shabby welding, and I have noticed that there is ridiculous amounts of rust hidden by loads of hammerite - nasty. This is all getting cleaned up first.

So, yeah, I will post pics when its finished... I hope to keep it the same as it is mind you... Just with much better, stronger and cleaner welds and stuff, and a comfier riding position.

6Back to top Go down   Extended cables needed Empty Re: Extended cables needed on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:56 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
This is an interesting project and I see you are less than an hour from the ferry over to Dublin so maybe some time we get to meet!! We are looking at a meet up in the spring when Rossko is down I mean up for a visit and will fix dates when his plans become more clear.

Now that presents you with a nice timeline target and a good meet up to display the end results!! Meantime do keep the posts coming and don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Since you started it with an RS maybe the change to RT/LT handlebars will sort your riding position in which case the stock RT/LT [as in not RS] cables etc will work for you. A friend a number of years back who used to build his own always recommended using stock items from other models or manufacturers wherever possible so that maintenance and sourcing parts was never an issue.

1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell No 32,600 miles

7Back to top Go down   Extended cables needed Empty Re: Extended cables needed on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:21 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I wouldn't be going custom too much. Just use RT bars with all the RT cables and brake lines. Easy peasy.
One problem I see is that with the RT bars and the RS fairing/screen you may get a lot more wind noise because you'll be sitting upright a lot more. Plenty been talked about here on that subject so just do a forum search about wind noise and screens.

I've just gone the other way with my RT having just removed all the fairing and swapped the bars etc to RS equipment. It was very easy to do so I imagine RS to RT would be just as easy.
If you watch ebay etc for someone who's converting an RT to a cafe and parting out, you'll find all the gear you need reasonably cheap. The dash pad may need changing too.

Extended cables needed Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

8Back to top Go down   Extended cables needed Empty Re: Extended cables needed on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:00 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
Oh, all the Ks are fuel injected too....

Which reminds me replace the fuel lines, they perish. Make them a bit longer and then its easier to access under the tank.

When you get the clutch able the nipple and the bushing are separate part nos !! so you must ask for them. When you fit the clutch cable lubricate the nipple in the lever very regularly so it can pivot in its hole. If not done the cable can snap off....nipple falls out and gets lost.

1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell No 32,600 miles

9Back to top Go down   Extended cables needed Empty Re: Extended cables needed on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:41 pm

FatRakoon

FatRakoon
Clutch cable parts plus grease... Check.

Replace Fuel lines...Check.

>> My SZR had an issue with the carb jets getting clogged and so this was already one of the things I was considering... While its out of action, its getting a full service.

RS to RT bars?
Hmmm... I suppose this is an options yes? I had thought about it, but not in any serious way, more of a passing idea... I will look into it.
The screen, yes, I would be sitting higher and as this was already something I was considering anyway, its not an extra concern for me at this time... I have seen various solutions for this, such as simply higher glass.

But as you said, it would mean that all I need is RT cables etc, so its got to be an option at least.

Meetup sometime...Check, and double check.

Absolutely something to think about yes.
I am pretty much on the coast in a sh1thole town called Old Colwyn.

Actually, anyone is welcome to come over for a brew should they find themselves in North Wales.

I have no plans as of yet to go over the ferry myself... I did once tour the entire of ireland on my Guzzi many years ago, going clockwise around the coastline of ireland and every so often, just going inland.... Took us 3 months and our entire savings... Ruined us financially, but we loved it.
I would love to do that again come to think of it.

LOL ok guys, once again many thanks etc

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum