BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty temp gauge wiring Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:23 pm

badgerdid

badgerdid
Silver member
Silver member
Im going to fit my own temp gauge and wire it to the special equipment plug, i presume this is the best place to wire it too?
looking at the colour wiring diagram in the download section,

Am i right in thinking -
the light+ will go to the yellow wire, the other side will go to earth
The plus live will go to the green and black wire, i think this is a ignition switched live
There will be an earth again to the frame
The sender will then go to the signal terminal on the gauge.

can someone confirm i have the right colours to the right connections, i wont be using the proper bmw plug so will be coming off the wires direct.

thanks

2Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:50 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I did the same. Indeed, separate wire for the sensor, green/black is +12V switched by the contactswitch, the brown is ground and the third one (I thought gray/black??) is a switched light. What kind of connector have you got - 3 or 4 pins? Normally the yellow one (on the 4 pin) is for the fuel level sensor.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland temp gauge wiring Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

3Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Renez,
Rather than start a new post I wondered if you could answer this....
I have a toggle switch Std with three red dots to the top and it appears to be three positions. centre off I suppose. colours are orange (may be faded red) black centre and green. This runs to the indicated position on the picture.
temp gauge wiring 1272041604_resized

From there it disappears into the main harness.
It is my latest ABS K75S.
I just can't find it and its driving me nuts.
What else is new says the wife...!
Ajays.

4Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:55 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ajays, good to see you here too. (I'm also hfxrzw on some other forums - don't ask)

Anyway, that is a connector from your grip heating as far as I know. I'll check with the available schematics, but am fairly certain.

Your connector for the addional instruments is visible as well at the top - brown-yellow-gray/black and you just can't see the green/black one.

Rene

5Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:30 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Next question do the grips get warm when switched on?
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Renez,Jeremy,
I switched the ignition on ,cancelled the ABS flashing then switched on the toggle switch, this dimmed the instrument panel lights slightly so waited for the grips to heat up.....yep, they warmed so your diagnosis was correct. The switch had the green wire broken from the switch contact, I soldered it back and Bingo.
Now we have peace in the house and I have been promised an egg and bacon breakfast.
Thanks a lot Pals, very much obliged.
Ajays. temp gauge wiring Icon_bounce temp gauge wiring Icon_bounce

7Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:40 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Ajays, the switch has two positions, one for full power and one for half, when its not -25C ;-)

Rene

8Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Fri May 07, 2010 5:48 pm

badgerdid

badgerdid
Silver member
Silver member
Just a quick question guys, does it matter what size cable you use on the sender on the temperature gauge? i have used 1.5mm but realised it would give less resistance than a 0.5mm cable, so could this affect the reading at the temperature gauge?

9Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Fri May 07, 2010 7:25 pm

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
Its not that sensitive badger
the difference between say a meter of each is probably less than an ohm and
the system works on much bigger values.
theres not much current to fret over wire gauge either.
I'd go the thicker myself for the mechanical strength and ease of crimping on the terminals
I also sleeved mine for added protection

10Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Fri May 07, 2010 11:27 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Reg is absolutely correct,
With all wiring make sure it is strapped to the frame or other thick wiring looms so it cannot waggle back and forth otherwise at some sympathetic vibration speed it will do so and will fatigue and break over time.
Regards,
K-BIKE

11Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Sun May 09, 2010 6:27 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I think indeed, as abve, the diameter of the cable is not the 'limiting' factor, however the way you connect it up might be. Good crimping or soldering is best with a crimp sleeve over it to keep the weather out.

Rene

12Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Mon May 10, 2010 2:08 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
And put DeoxIT on every plug and socket you connect. Worth putting some on the wire you crimp to ensure the best connection there and hopefully keep out moisture from between the wire strands. Don't forget to use a proper crimping tool, it is worth buying a good one, it will last your whole life. Jim from Eastern Beaver sells them if you can't find them locally.
Regards,
K-BIKE

13Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:28 am

CBRacerX

CBRacerX
I am adding a Water and Oil temp guage set (ebay purchase of a used set without harness) - where is the special equipment plug located and what sort of wonderful signals might I find there?

14Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:40 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
That plug is under the tank, should be close to the plug for the heated handgrips. Dont know if that's the one you want though. Did you see the very awesome interactive wiring diagrams on the front page of the website?

Here: http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/download/electrical/diagrams/interactive_diagrams.htm

15Back to top Go down   temp gauge wiring Empty Re: temp gauge wiring Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:46 am

CBRacerX

CBRacerX
club_c wrote:That plug is under the tank, should be close to the plug for the heated handgrips. Dont know if that's the one you want though. Did you see the very awesome interactive wiring diagrams on the front page of the website?

Here: http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/download/electrical/diagrams/interactive_diagrams.htm

Thanks! Interactive is a bit, err, exaggerated but the maginfication is very helpful Smile It would appear that I need to learn more about the "connection for additional instruments."

Cheers!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum