BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Lost the Drive Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:37 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
I wasn't expecting to be bringing the bike back on the ute. I was having a great ride on a top morning until I got to Gloucester and things went pear shaped. The bike lost all drive, it can get all gears but still wont drive, clutch seems to work fine but there is a grinding noise coming from the gearbox when in gear and the wheel is turned , I suspect it could have striped some splines I will check it out tomorrow. I would have liked to have been there to help with the spragg, I'm sure you'll get it all back together with no problems Tom.
I'm lucky to have a wonderful wife that travelled 3 hours in the ute to collect me, while I waited in the air-conditioned comfort of the Gloucester bowling club drinking ales, thanks Kay. What a suck hole I am!  

Not a good look for a K, Yes the project bike Gaz

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize
Lost the Drive Bike_o10

And this is what I found, hardly surprising it wouldn't drive!
 Lost the Drive Clutch10

Now to find what's caused it to happen. Clutch plate has no manufactures name on it that I can see and measures 5mm, I fitted it about 5000 km's ago with a new Pressure plate and cover. In recent weeks I had noticed that the clutch cable adjustment had been varying from tight to loose, and I thought that I had a shagged cable! at least I know the cable is fine now. Could it be a result of an unbalanced clutch assembly!  Any Ideas on causes appreciated.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

2Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:52 pm

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
Hi Gaz - your clutch plate splines look shagged! This might have introduced an element of 'impact loading' associated with the normal torsional vibration in the drive train which makes spline lube so critical in these bikes. Will you post some pictures of your gearbox input shaft splines as they are likely to be 'toast' (as TWB says), if my theory is correct...

3Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would say that the centre has been bent out of square and the continual working has fatigued the metal and eventually cracked it.
Possibly bent on removal or instalation from the gearbox hanging on the splines.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:33 pm

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
It definitely will have been fatigue related with the initiation point most likely being one of the eight rivets as there is permanent stress in these areas due to the rivets being expanded on installation...

The gearbox input shaft is only what - 25mm long? And that clutch disc material will be spring steel - can't imaging being able to bend it with the weight of the gearbox before the shaft disengages BUT i've lost count of the number of times I've been proved wrong....

5Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:53 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
rawdonball wrote:Hi Craig - your clutch plate splines look shagged! This might have introduced an element of 'impact loading' associated with the normal torsional vibration in the drive train which makes spline lube so critical in these bikes. Will you post some pictures of your gearbox input shaft splines as they are likely to be 'toast' (as TWB says), if my theory is correct...

The clutch plate was near new 5000 km ago when I fitted it, and it was well lubed. The splines have been damaged from a result off what has caused the fatigue. Just lucky the splines on the gearbox are still good.

Lost the Drive Gearbo10

6Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:17 am

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:I would say that the centre has been bent out of square and the continual working has fatigued the metal and eventually cracked it.
Possibly bent on removal or instalation from the gearbox hanging on the splines.

You could be right rick, the clutch kit I used when I put the bike together was off a spare parts bike I bought that had a recent new clutch fitted. I find it strange that I can't find a manufactures name on the clutch plate.
I have a good spare clutch plate here that you dropped off for me a few months back that I'll fit and see how it goes.

7Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:11 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
smithy wrote:

Lost the Drive Bike_o10
Feel for you Smithy , not a good finish to the trip. 
I had a similar feeling at Gloucester last week. Clutch spun out during an overtake attempt . 
reminding me I have to do the RMS. Too busy riding any chance I get.
consolation of the ute is no other bike has had as good a view across the Barringtons as you. well done Kay
hope it doesn't hold you up too much. good luck .

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Lost the Drive 10_x_110

8Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:31 am

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
Blue Knight wrote:
smithy wrote:

Lost the Drive Bike_o10
Feel for you Smithy , not a good finish to the trip. 
I had a similar feeling at Gloucester last week. Clutch spun out during an overtake attempt . 
reminding me I have to do the RMS. Too busy riding any chance I get.
consolation of the ute is no other bike has had as good a view across the Barringtons as you. well done Kay
hope it doesn't hold you up too much. good luck .

Thanks Ed, though sorry to hear your clutch is slipping. It does sound like the seals will need changing in old blue sooner than later.
I've just finished putting it back together this after noon,  I put another clutch plate in and decided to swap out the gearbox for another one that I fitted all new bearings and seals to recently. I'll take it for a run tomorrow and see how it goes.

9Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:52 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
crikey smithy  that's a totally buggered clutch plate ...what the hell ???!@!!

good luck with the fix mate ...fingers crossed for you

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:28 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member

Like a good dog; enjoys a ride home in the ute.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Lost the Drive K-dogs10

11Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:26 am

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
charlie99 wrote:crikey smithy  that's a totally buggered clutch plate ...what the hell ???!@!!

Looking at those pictures of the clutch disc splines and the G/box input shaft splines again - my guess is that you definitely got an inferior clutch disc. If you can damage the disc splines to that extent without damaging the male splines with which they mate (easy Rossko!!!) then surely there must be a significant quality differential. It's not a tungsten plated gear box shaft now - is it?

12Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:56 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
rawdonball wrote:
charlie99 wrote:crikey smithy  that's a totally buggered clutch plate ...what the hell ???!@!!

Looking at those pictures of the clutch disc splines and the G/box input shaft splines again - my guess is that you definitely got an inferior clutch disc. If you can damage the disc splines to that extent without damaging the male splines with which they mate (easy Rossko!!!) then surely there must be a significant quality differential. It's not a tungsten plated gear box shaft now - is it?
It's not a tungsten plated gear box shaft now - is it? I wish it was , it's probably not the best pic of the gearbox splines I should have had the camera on a slight angle to show the length of the splines, showing the sharper points.
I've got the bike back together now, and yesterday took it for a 200km test run and all is well. I'm still none the wiser on what caused the problem, but I do suspect inferior quality clutch plate, now it's got a Sach's disc fitted.

13Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Re: Lost the Drive Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:25 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
You did mention the clutch wasn't brand new. My guess is that it suffered from an unsupported clutch spline lube or when it was being fitted on the previous bike. But its great to be back up and running.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

14Back to top Go down   Lost the Drive Empty Lost the Drive Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:16 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
Good to be running again Smithy. It looks like a shonky clutch plate or had been damaged previously somehow. Cheers Tom

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum