BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty LED headlight Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:58 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Anyone used one of these LED headlight assemblies. It has 4 x 3w LEDs.
Are they any good? 
At a total of 12w it doesn't seem there would be enough output even for LEDs.

http://thirdgear.com.au/4-eyes-led-all-metal-headlight-black/

LED headlight 4_Eyes_LED_All_Metal_Headlight_1__91141.1425068632.1280.1280

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 LED headlight Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

2Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:49 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain Holister wrote:Anyone used one of these LED headlight assemblies. It has 4 x 3w LEDs.
Are they any good? 
At a total of 12w it doesn't seem there would be enough output even for LEDs.

http://thirdgear.com.au/4-eyes-led-all-metal-headlight-black/

LED headlight 4_Eyes_LED_All_Metal_Headlight_1__91141.1425068632.1280.1280

Looks cool. Cant comment on output - but the thirdgear stuff seems overpriced to me.

Will be getting something like this for my ADV Postie bike eventually.

3Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:26 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Do these things comply with our ADR's?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty LED Headlight Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:44 am

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
Similar LED headlights are for sale on eBay by a UK volume seller. That seller stresses their offerings are suitable for show use but do not meet UK MOT requirements for road use....however, one of the current Harleys has an LED headlight and some high end 4 wheelers (some Audi's and Range Rovers) have LED headlights. I suspect the issue with ADR compliance for motorcycles would be, do they throw the correct beam pattern on high and low beam respectively rather than a blanket prohibition on LED headlights. I have a similar LED unit with high/low beam I am yet to fire up. Given the price was reasonable it could be used as an auxillary/driving light if not suitable for a substitution headlight. There is significant discussion on 4 wheel forums about retrofitting LED headlights (saw a lot on Jeep forums aimed at road use).

5Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:35 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You aint allowed to take a jeep off road or you lose the warranty don't ya? Laughing

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:12 am

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:You aint allowed to take a jeep off road or you lose the warranty don't ya? Laughing
Only if it's dirt or mud. The grass of the polo pony paddock is OK. 

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

7Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:55 am

Bigsax

Bigsax
Gold member
Gold member
indian036 wrote:
RicK G wrote:You aint allowed to take a jeep off road or you lose the warranty don't ya? Laughing
Only if it's dirt or mud. The grass of the polo pony paddock is OK. 

Bill

LOL Very Happy

Seriously though, I spend a bit of time in the beautiful north of our country and there are some roads that you need to get permission to go on, you log on and off via radio and they will refuse permission to pass if you are driving a Jeep or Land Rover. I am not saying they are s**t, they are!

8Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:54 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Kaptain, you weren't thinking of replacing you headlight with these were you??? I cant see a dip feature on them. Might make good additional town lights.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

9Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Keith you need new glasses or it could be you just need them.

• Solid full metal housing and bezel
  • Function 1: Low Beam
  • Function 2: High Beam
  • Function 3: Park / Side Light
  • 12 volt / 3 x 3 watt LED's (Cool White Colour LED's)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WO-AU-New-Original-Glasses-Straw-Smoothie-Bendy-Drink-Kids-Gift-Random-/181439648769?hash=item2a3ea55401:g:OTQAAOSwBvNTnrRw

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

10Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:42 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Keith, it has hi and lo beam plus a parking light. In low beam mode only the top LED comes on.

My concern is whether the LEDs are bright enough and now, if the unit is actually compliant. Their website gives no indication. Might be OK for city use but I'm guessing out on a country road at night it won't cut it.

11Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:08 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would doubt very much they are compliant. The main purpose seems to look very Kool and have "Cafe cred"

12Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:32 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Email back from Third Gear said these headlights aren't e-marked.

13Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:08 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Keith you need new glasses or it could be you just need them.

• Solid full metal housing and bezel
  • Function 1: Low Beam
  • Function 2: High Beam
  • Function 3: Park / Side Light
  • 12 volt / 3 x 3 watt LED's (Cool White Colour LED's)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WO-AU-New-Original-Glasses-Straw-Smoothie-Bendy-Drink-Kids-Gift-Random-/181439648769?hash=item2a3ea55401:g:OTQAAOSwBvNTnrRw

Razz  Yes sorry gents I looked so hard at the picies that I completely ignored the writing beside the main pic. As Homer would say doh

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

14Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:33 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
On a similar vein I have had some problems using LED lights on both my BMW cars. I bought 4 led spot lights for the 320i and fitted them only to find that as soon as I hit the high beam with the spots turned on the ECU dropped its bundle and for the next ten Ks the thing was running really rough until it relearned all its parameters again so they were removed and it was written of to one more BMW weirdness. When I bought the 730iL I thought well I will try them on this one and with the same result. Cough cough fart splutter till it remembers that the prime purpose of an ECU is to make the engine run properly.
As you may well understand I am now a touch wary of LED lights.
I thought I would put it up on the off chance someone could shed some light on this strangeness.
BTW the Fairmont I had in between the 2 BMs was OK.

15Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 am

GB777

GB777
Silver member
Silver member
I have tried a couple of LED H4's and although the light output is ok, the light pattern is total rubbish, there is no sharp horizontal line on low beam.

•Dyno Tuned to deliver 115 bhp. •Audiovox CCS-100 Vacuum Cruise Control. •Fuel Plus Version 3.1 Trip Computer. •R1200c Final Drive Gears (32/13 or 2.54). •Ohlins rear shocky. •K100 complete Aluminium Radiator fitted. •Davies Craig Thermo Switch fitted to Cooling Fan with manual over-ride. •Fuel Cap drilled and tapped to provide mounting points for accessories, including mini Tank Bag & Apple CarPlay Screen •HID Hi-Lo Headlight and every other incandescent bulb on bike replaced with LED's. •Bulb monitoring warning light no longer needed so it's now used to indicate when Side Stand is down. •LED (Halo) Front Park Light (BMW Car style).

16Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:49 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
GB777 wrote:I have tried a couple of LED H4's and although the light output is ok, the light pattern is total rubbish, there is no sharp horizontal line on low beam.
See my rant in the thread on saving those elusive K bike switches.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

17Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty I found it Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:34 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
You may need a sidecar to carry the batteries, but this will shine your path Very Happy 

18Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
I've fitted a Cyclops 32w H4 LED in my K1100LT and it's great. It's turned night into day but more importantly I'm highly visible night or day.
I saw some 32W LED H4's on Banggood for very little money, £17-ish, so I bought a couple to keep in stock.

I know the reflectors aren't designed for them but.......well make up your own mind on LED's.

I've also got bikes with HID bulbs but the LED's are a little better I think.

19Back to top Go down   LED headlight Empty Re: LED headlight Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Motorbike Mike wrote:
I know the reflectors aren't designed for them but.......well make up your own mind on LED's
I think it's more of a case of... the LEDs aren't designed for the reflectors. Light needs to be reflected back into the parabolic dish to get correct light distribution into a concentrated beam. The LED bulbs simply emit light out sideways to the reflector which would scatter the light inefficiently.
The Banggood H4 LED bulb has a 3 sided array which may distribute the light more evenly but its still scattered. They're certainly cheap enough to warrant experimentation. I ordered one last week to try with my new standard headlight which has just arrived.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum