BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    K1200 RS Update on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:47 am

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Finally finished getting the new machine the way I want it.

Not much to do to these things but heres the list anyway

Stone grills fitted to oil cooler, radiators, air intake
Decorative grill fitted to left front fairing
Air horns and Bi-wired K100 horns (now sounds like a train instead of a Honda 50)
HID super bright headlamp bulb (high beam = white)
USB socket @ battery with 1.5amp output
Maxi usb > mini usb Cable install to front for Navman
Replace Fork seals and fluid
Replaced bolts on front brake discs with Allen type heads
New Brake pads front and rear and fluid flush / replace
Replace engine oil/Filter / Fuel filter / Air filter / Gearbox oil / Final drive oil / Antifreeze / Clutch fluid
Remove swing arm and driveshaft, lubricate swingarm bearings and driveshaft splines
Fit swingarm mainshaft exterior plastic caps
Replace Final drive large seal
Remove radiators and straighten/clean out fins,
Fit battery leads with quick release plug
Fit Merit socket direct from battery for trickle charger
Fit set Pirelli Angels
Service battery

Now good to go @ 58,000 k's

Cheers and all comments welcome as per usual - especially if theres anything I missed

2Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:06 am

Be made

Life time member
Life time member

3Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:25 am

Chocolate

Life time member
Life time member
Hello!

Good job, did you tickle her for good moods :-)
You could do some electric maintenance with DeOxit and check a good ground and put some Dielectric Grease to finish.

Cheers espresso

4Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:27 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
sweet !!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

5Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:58 am

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Espresso wrote:Hello!

Good job, did you tickle her for good moods :-)
You could do some electric maintenance with DeOxit and check a good ground and put some Dielectric Grease to finish.

Cheers espresso
Yes -the comp has been checked, thanks, I assume that's what "tickle" meant,  with no faults found, but - what is Dielectric grease ?

Haven't heard of that before

Regards

Keith

6Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:15 am

Chocolate

Life time member
Life time member
Hello!

Diealectr grease is what you should put on the batterie + and - after connecting the wires, it keeps moisture and prevent corrosion.
I also use it for the electric contacts.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-dielectric-grease.htm

Cheers

7Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:37 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
use sparingly keith .... we don't salt our roads out here so no where near the corrosion effects as in Europe and other places, that do . 

remember its a good insulator ...don't get it on the contact points of the connectors ...but use it around the perimeter of the connector body or the aft end of connectors

just the way I read it .

hope that helps

8Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:38 am

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, I suspect that dielectric grease can be better described as non-conductive as opposed to an insulator.   I have been using it for some time now on electrical connections, and have had no problems with conductivity.  Don't know if it is because the points of contact in a connector "cut through" the film or if microscopic films of the grease are conductive, but current will flow through a thin layer of the stuff and a thin layer is all it takes to protect against corrosion.

However, while I have been successful with using dielectric grease inside of things like handlebar and ignition switches, I would be cautious about putting it on relay contacts.  I would be concerned that the heat of any arcing that may occur could cause oxidation of the grease and accelerate the buildup of non-conductive burnt material on the contacts.

My preferred compound is Dow Corning #4 dielectric grease.  This stuff is approved for use on aircraft electrical components.  About 15 bucks, but a tube will last you for the rest of your life.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

9Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:17 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
sorry for taking you to task .75 but I feel the need to express my feelings of such an widespread misnomer amongst some folks

so what you are saying  is that the actual  spots that are in contact on non coated terminal are conducting ..(correct )_.whilst the rest is coated  the dielectric grease coating or small portion of it actually conducts electricity through it ?

im sorry but that goes against almost everything that I believe I studied in technical college and basic science fact  

I am constantly amazed that people refer to an dielectric  as an aid to electrical conduction without taking in the full consequences of such methodology

agreed it has the ability of sealing out corrosion when used correctly ...but likewise sealing it in

here's an exert from "wise geeks" that describes properly the properties of dielectric grease, and as I understand it

read on

Dielectric grease is a non-conductive, silicone-based grease that's designed to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion on electrical connectors. It also disrupts the flow of electrical current, which makes it good for lubricating and sealing the rubber parts of electrical connectors. It's commonly used in automotive spark plug wires, recreational and utility vehicles, and electrical systems in aircraft.

Physical Properties

This material is a translucent, gray lubricant that does not dissolve in liquids like ethanol, methanol, mineral oil, and water. It can be dissolved with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and mineral spirits though. Dielectric grease affects silicone rubber over time, so it isn't always a good choice to use it on silicone-based O-rings or wiring harnesses.
It can withstand high temperatures, making it a good choice for engine compartments and similar locations. Many dielectric greases are rated to work in up to 392° F (200° C) temperatures, and some can operate at up to 500° F (260° C). Though there are other greases that can work at these temperatures, they may not prevent the flow of electrical current like dielectric grease does.
Ad

Uses

Dielectric grease is widely used as a sealant for spark plugs in gasoline or diesel engines, as well as on the gaskets of multi-pin connectors in the electrical systems of vehicles and boats. When used with spark plugs, it's applied to the rubber part of the plug wire. This helps the boot slide onto the plug's ceramic insulator and keeps dirt or moisture from contaminating the seal and disrupting the electrical current.
Besides being used to seal rubber covers on electrical connections, dielectric grease also prevents corrosion when applied directly to metal connectors. Though it works well for this purpose, it can sometimes cause a connection to stop working if not all of the grease is pushed out of the way between the points of contact inside the connector. Additionally, it is often used to lubricate other engine-related parts, like rotors, distributor caps, and speedometer cables. It can be used in other situations where electrical connections may be exposed to moisture and dirt as well, like outdoor lights, satellite TV installations, trailer hitch wiring, and battery terminals.

Cautions

Silicone-based lubricants, including dielectric grease, can irritate the skin and eyes, so users should wear safety glasses and gloves when using it, and should wash any skin or clothes that come into contact with it promptly. At high temperatures, it may create formaldehyde, which irritates the eyes and respiratory system, and is associated with cancer. Those buying this product should consider the temperature conditions in which they need it to work, since some formulations are better for higher temperatures than others.
Grease and lubricants in general can ignite and burn when they're exposed to a lot of oxygen. This is a particular risk when they are used in medical devices, pressurized air systems, or oxygen systems in aircraft. This type of grease should never be applied to the threads of oxygen cylinders or valves used on oxygen systems, since the rapid reaction between it and the oxygen could cause an explosion or fire. In addition, most greases can affect paint and coatings on machines or vehicles if left on for a long time. Any excess product should be cleaned up, including any that's spilled on floors, to prevent a slipping hazard

Dielectric
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the material. For the song by American industrial metal band Fear Factory, see Genexus (album) .
Not to be confused with Dielectric constant or Dialectic.

A polarized dielectric material
A dielectric material (dielectric for short) is an electrical insulator that can be polarized by an applied electric field. When a dielectric is placed in an electric field, electric charges do not flow through the material as they do in a conductor, but only slightly shift from their average equilibrium positions causing dielectric polarization. Because of dielectric polarization, positive charges are displaced toward the field and negative charges shift in the opposite direction. This creates an internal electric field that reduces the overall field within the dielectric itself.[1] If a dielectric is composed of weakly bonded molecules, those molecules not only become polarized, but also reorient so that their symmetry axes align to the field.[1]

note at the end .
in many cases we are trying to promote current flow in connectors in a poor state of conductivity ...ie  badly corroded connectors that have been arcing under stress of current flow now may becoming dielectric in nature with high carbon deposits around the terminals themselves ...due to electrolytic corrosion of now dissimilar metals (once the tinning is corroded off the nickel plated connection, electrolysis sets up in a dc field of conduction ) because they are no longer bonded electrically

it goes on and on   but enough for now

sorry if I offend anyone in this thought bubble

but in the interest of getting a better understanding of how the electrics work ...for more than 5 years at a time .....is I feel important to understand some facts .

10Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm

brickrider

Life time member
Life time member
Illuminating post, Charlie.  Thanks for that. Very Happy

11Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Ahhhh . . . . that stuff. Yeah . . . I have used lithium grease on battery terminals in the past but not really needing it here in NZ I don't think. Dad used to use general purpose grease 'back in the day'. I guess thats where I first got the idea

My battery's are the old acid type and come out for a top up every three months like clockwork so theres little time for any buildups. If I notice any then i'll grease the terminals after install. As for other places on the machine, well . . . I guess natural wear and tear will tell if there's any corroding occurring

Good point though - and one that I had not considered

Thanks for all the info guys. Appreciated as always :-))

Cheers

12Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:38 pm

brickrider

Life time member
Life time member
This is somewhat off topic I suppose, but I must ask: How would you use dielectric grease on a distributor cap?

13Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
to seal the leads entering the distributor cap at the rubber junction ....not actually on the lead terminals , and around the distributor body where the cap meets the housing

if you remember mini minors they always benefitted from that process ...was quite common that a mini would die at the first sign  of a decent rain event as the distributor was out front and low down and very prone to high voltage jump over events ...and saturation of the points mechanism

14Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:51 pm

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, thanks for posting the informative article.  Good information, and I can't disagree with anything in it.

I understand that a dielectric by it's nature is non-conductive and won't carry an electric current.  All I can say is that I have not had any issues from using the Dow Corning #4.  I suspect that enough is displaced in making a connection to allow the required current to flow.  That which is not displaced serves to prevent corrosion of the surrounding metal. 

I have not delved into the chemistry of these greases, but I suspect being silicone based means that over time there is no danger of it becoming conductive and allowing current to be flowing where it ought not as may be a problem with hydrocarbon based grease.  I doubt it would be wise to use a graphite or copper filled grease on electrical components for fear of shorting between nearby poles in a switch or connector.  Hence the use of a non-conductive grease. 

I can't say what the long term effects may be, I have only used this stuff for maybe 6-7 years.  At first just for lamp and battery terminals on automobiles and boats, and for the past couple years on my bikes.  So far my experiences have been positive.

Perhaps there are some here who have more chemistry background and can provide more information.  Perhaps I am doing something that will render my bike's electrical system useless at some point in the future.  If so, I surely would like to know.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

15Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:to seal the leads entering the distributor cap at the rubber junction ....not actually on the lead terminals , and around the distributor body where the cap meets the housing

if you remember mini minors they always benefitted from that process ...was quite common that a mini would die at the first sign  of a decent rain event as the distributor was out front and low down and very prone to high voltage jump over events ...and saturation of the points mechanism
Yep. Had a mini back in the early 70s and can remember pulling the distributor to dry it out.

I think by its very nature, anything that lubricates or protects an electrical connection has to be non-conductive.
I bought di-electric grease to apply to my SPs and coil towers to grease the rubber plugs to prevent arcing. I don't use it on the HT connections as per instructions which came with the grease, but I've used it on my handlebar switches and ignition switch, applied to the metal contact parts with no problems. As for electrical connectors, I use Innox which is like WD40 but doesn't dry out

Point Seven Five... long term effects, I'm not too sure but I did read somewhere that silicone grease subjected to arcing will undergo a change and become thick and plastic like. This is what I found in my ignition switch when I cleaned it out a while back.

Thanks for the write-up charlie.... interesting read.

Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

16Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
yes I understand what you have achieved .75   and have a good realization of the need to do it ...and recommendations seeming like common practice  throughout the states etc . 
its just that I see the wording as counter intuitive ... to good service -maintenance work, in as much as recommending it for all types of connections .

I don't deny the many such service people in various industries rely on the product to keep things going

I too have used many silicon products during my working - service life for much the same reasons, but inevitably after the thing has faulted just too many times  ...nothing like replacing the offending part for one that is designed well with the right metallurgy and electrical  principles in place .

to  its merit silicon does quench arcing of switch contacts from oxygen and ...carbon deposits ...but only the area that it contaminates
as captain has said he has found some unwelcome residue ...(me also, over the years )
some times the surface area designed for the known arcing radius is reduced by this chemical resulting in concentrated pitting in the main surface corona area , resulting in premature failure .

sorry to steal some "thread" real estate to this vexing question of reliability of electrical connectors

17Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:31 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote: . . . . sorry to steal some "thread" real estate to this vexing question of reliability of electrical connectors
No problemo there Charlie. Your valuable insights are most welcome at all times

Cheers

keith

18Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:11 am

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Just completed the first 5000k's on the K12. Running real well, without any issues whatsoever aside from my eyesight not being able to see far enough to tell whether its a cop or a road barrier shining at me in the distance. Lots of 500+ k trips and lots of redlining in 5th has been a delight. Did a mandatory standstill fall off / eject dismount on a very steep slope once but aside from that it's all good

The pannier and very bottom of the left fairing bore the brunt of the fall. I was OK, my partner unfortunately landed on her shoulder and trapped her ankle under the pannier, which actually came off as we picked the bike up. She's ok now (this was a month ago) but the shoulder still giving her some grief.

Cheers until next year from happy Hamilton, NZ

By the way - sorry to hear about all the trouble Aussie is having with those big bushfires etc, and the UK floods.

19Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:01 am

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Just completed a 1300k journey from the middle of the north island directly east to the coast, out to east cape lighthouse and all the way down to Napier, and returning home, spread over 2 days, planned a month in advance. Not sure how this happened but we just so happened to pick the only 2 fine days to go, in the middle of the other 7 rainy ones

Zero complaints on the bike (no standing falls this time :-) aside from luggage capacity being probably about half of a K100, necessitating my partner having to wear a backpack

Lots of twisties, gravel and long straights, so a good mixture of both terrain and speeds

Regards and a happy new year to all

Cheers

20Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:26 am

Two Wheels Better

Agreed, crap capacity for gear when travelling with a pillion and their needs, so on my GT version I use the OEM softcase on the lockable rack and a small tankbag clipped to the petrol surround - off the paint.

If we're camping it's Ma & Pa Kettle or the Clampetts with everything hanging off, but if it's a motel/hotel trip I can get by with the available room in the slim left hand side pannier and the 'fullsize' right hand side. The lady's hairdryer is verboten!

Them's road-eaters, for sure! Glad you had a good flight!

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT

21Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:24 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Be made wrote:By the way - sorry to hear about all the trouble Aussie is having with those big bushfires etc, and the UK floods.
Maybe we could send them some of our excess water?

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

22Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:53 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
good to hear mate ..

napier and the eastern cape is on my list of things ...I wish I could complete ...maybe one day

ride well and enjoy ...better take good care of that pillion ...sounds like she is a "keeper"

cheers

23Back to top Go down    Re: K1200 RS Update on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:20 pm

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:good to hear mate ..

napier and the eastern cape is on my list of things ...I wish I could complete ...maybe one day

ride well and enjoy ...better take good care of that pillion ...sounds like she is a "keeper"

cheers
Yep. You hit the nail on the head there Charlie. Her new top speed, as a pillion is, now, 230kph (on the speedo). It used to be 200 on the k100 and limited to that machines top end. This is the first woman I have ever met that actually loves fast motorcycling. I am an extremely fortunate man.

I guestimate that 95% of all the bikers I see out and about are riding solo whereas, for the last nearly 3 years now, 95% of the 25,000 k's I have done, spread between the k100 and now the K12, has been 2 up with her on the back

The luggage thang does annoy me, a little but we are learning to travel light. I have a factory tank bag I could use if needed. We don't do too many overnight stays (the country is too small, really, to warrant trips like that very often)

I actually considered a 1994 1500cc Honda goldwing esplanade yesterday - for 9995

must be getting older

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum