BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Quick oil drain one way valve. on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:13 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
I wondered what the K group thought to this little device I've bought to go on my JJ Cobas Flying Brick as I change the oil at stupidly short intervals.
It's a one way oil drain valve kit. comprising of the main valve with M18 x 1.5mm thread, cap,  bayonet fitting and a length of silicone hose.

Just push in and twist.

Here you can see the ball that seals the valve. 

Here's what they say about it.

When changing the oil, unscrew the protective cap and insert the hose connector via quick on. 
Only when this is locked, opens the valve and the oil can be drained into the provided container. 
When releasing the hose connection the valve closes automatically and you need to turn on only the protective cap

• No contact with oil 
• Easy handling due to quick release 
• Drain plug can not be lost 
• No risk of burns from hot oil 
• exchange of seals is not necessary 
• Sump thread is spared 
• Double outlet protection (protective cap and valve) 
• Connection to suction possible 
• Optimal application for discharge sampling or trapping 
• cap captive O-ring 
• Change oil without tools 

So the oil change makes fun! 

Scope of supply: 
- Valve body, CNC precision turned part made of high quality steel 
- Copper seal 
- Hose connector, CNC precision turned part made of high quality steel 
- High-quality hose 40cm long 
- Protective cap made of anodized aluminum 
- Illustrated instruction manual

If anyone wants one let me know. I have a pal that has a trade account at a motorcycle supply outlet. They're £28 + P&P  That's about £10 cheaper than I've seen them on the 'net.
I think all my BM's are getting them, it's very well made.

Mike.

2Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:43 pm

brickrider

Life time member
Life time member
That certainly looks to be a convenient mod if you are changing oil on a very frequent basis.  I'm not in that category, as I typically change oil perhaps twice per year.  The maintenance I really hate, however, is not changing engine oil, it's the transmission oil.  What a mess I make of that!

3Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:17 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
How often do you change your filter and oil compared to just the oil?

I change both at the same time, so, although this is a good idea, it's no benefit to me, as I drain the oil via the oil filter cover.

Good idea for my car.

Thanks for sharing.

Remember Rule No. 6

4Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:50 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
I find the trap door oil changes very messy. 
I drop the oil every other track day and filters every four. I normally use a tank and a half of fuel every day on track so it's a case of good oil all the time for my engine it really needs it!
The valve will be great for me.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Chocolate

Life time member
Life time member
For you, I think it is a great idea, since you change your oil almost on daily base.

I change once a year or every second year. Not more than 10k km a year. The Ks have car engines not a wet clutch, no much oil change needed, that's my opinion.

When I change the oil I always change the filter, since a not smale amount of oil/dirt is in the filter and all the small metal pieces.

If I read the pictures correct, a 2mm pin pushes the ball up, that isn't enough for me, any dirt or metal bigger than 2mm will stay in the system and it drains to slow to clean up.

But in the end it is a clean and easy way to drain the oil.
But I love to have oily hand ;-)

Cheers

6Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Oily fingers are a must when you're in the garage.

7Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:26 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
We like to be well oiled too.
Only problem is the meaning changes as you cross the great water divide...... ..

For track days definitely a great idea.

8Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:56 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
I'm tempted... but then my daily mileage requires an oil change approximately every six weeks and a filter change every three months. That gets old really quick.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

9Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:20 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
great idea

for track riding

could almost use one ..but sadly my big kilometre riding days have been far too irregular in the last year or so

hope to change that ....

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

10Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:39 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
A change every 3 tanks of fuel... that's less than 1000klm. I think research has shown that modern oils work better over much longer periods and that shorter intervals may even be harmful.
What oil are you using Mike?

Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

11Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:05 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain Holister wrote:A change every 3 tanks of fuel... that's less than 1000klm. I think research has shown that modern oils work better over much longer periods and that shorter intervals may even be harmful.
What oil are you using Mike?
They are frequent oil changes but when you consider that the motor is enduring heavy track use up to the rev limiter on current set of cams I'm using, I don't consider it excessive.I can't imagine for even a second that fresh oil is going to harm an engine. I'd be interested in seeing the research you mention, my view is that clean oil is an engines best friend.
At the moment I'm on Motul 10w40 full synthetic because it was at a very good price for a bulk purchase and I'm on Mahle filters.

I think when an engine gets this kind of (ab)use it deserves a little TLC.

12Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I worked on a project many years back and the Architect in another life had been a Lotus driver and racer.

While we were working on our project he was also building a car which when it was finished was as good as any.

He was big into oil changes but at that time there were no synthetic oils. He could and would strip an engine just to check the wear. He always felt that as long as you kept eye on temperature/coolant you could do pretty much as you wished if the oil was fresh. Err on side of caution, oil is much cheaper than a bucket load of parts.

13Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:17 pm

Chocolate

Life time member
Life time member
Impressive Video and a fast K100.
You would have outstripped me ten times :-)

Cheers

14Back to top Go down    Re: Quick oil drain one way valve. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:I worked on a project many years back and the Architect in another life had been a Lotus driver and racer.

While we were working on our project he was also building a car which when it was finished was as good as any.

He was big into oil changes but at that time there were no synthetic oils. He could and would strip an engine just to check the wear. He always felt that as long as you kept eye on temperature/coolant you could do pretty much as you wished if the oil was fresh. Err on side of caution, oil is much cheaper than a bucket load of parts.
My thoughts exactly and now I can perform the intermittent oil changes with clean hands!  Very Happy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum