BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Donaldo

I can't be the only one who has this problem. Sore, tender arms from riding my LT.
The pain can last for days. It's both arms but more on the throttle side...I mean, right arm.
Any way to relieve this condition? Thanx

2Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:02 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Sounds to me like you aren't relaxing properly and the muscles are objecting to being tensed all the time.
Flap your elbows occasionally while you are riding and that will let you know that you are relaxed properly.
Not saying it is even a consious thing but I have seen it a lot over the years and I tell those who I notice that the handlebars will hold them selves on there is no need for you to hang onto them so tight.
Other reasons can be that the bars aren't in the correct position, try lowering them by pivoting them down or up and see if it feels better. sit on the bike, close your eyes and put your hands out and with one movement you should be able to find the grips. If that doesn't happen place the grips to the position you expect them to be when you reach for them.

3Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:47 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
After a few years experience I found the angle of the levers to be all important, so that your hands just rest on them and they are therefore at your fingertips when needed. I have them horizontal. I also have the bars positioned so they fall naturally to my most comfortable arm position.

A well balanced K with good tyres and tyre pressure will hold its position perfectly and a few of us have tested this, me included, when you can actually ride with hands off and steer by a little shift in body weight. Make sure tyres are at correct pressures because if not this translates into a subtle and unwanted tension when riding the K. Find what is your comfortable†arm position, it varies with everyone, the riding experience should be a more positive one and should be relaxed.

Throttle side is more likely to be sore so check the throttle mechanism to make sure its well lubed and running freely. A wrist rest is a good bet too. Do you have the end weights in?

4Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:20 pm

Donaldo

I was not very comfortable on this bike from the beginning. It felt like my feet were too far back and I was too low. I took off the BMW "comfort" seat and purchased a Corbin. That helped a lot. It got me raised up higher taking pressure off of my knees. I found that I could ride much longer comfortably. With regards to the handlebars, the LT bars don't feel right. I don't like the bend angle. (I had a similar problem on my R90/6 - USA bars). I am going to try to play around with the rotation to see if that helps. The clutch and brake controls are about level.† The bar end weights are in place, I believe they are factory welded in place ?, and it runs smoothly. Also, I am using a Michelin PR 2 in front (until spring) and a new PR 4 in the rear. I ride with 36 psi front and now 42 rear. I think that covers it.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:07 am

Dave

Silver member
Silver member
I found the bars on my†old RT uncomfortable.† They were wide enough but swept back at the wrong angle and I never liked them and on longer runs made my arms ache a little.

1987 K100rs
2009 R1200R

6Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:56 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Worn cables can sneek up on you. A while back I developed a very sore right hand and then realised the throttle was getting considerably stiff. Before I realised it I had been gripping way too tight and it had become a habit even when I wasn't twisting the grip. New cable and I could relax my control on the bars.

I put RS bars on my naked RT and prefer that position but I make a conscious effort to relax and rest my hands and arms. Years ago I broke my left elbow badly and it had to be screwed back together. Riding long trips (I've done 5k klm in the last 4 weeks) I need to rest and exercise my left arm every half hour or so or it starts to ache badly. I do shoulder and neck exercises while riding as well.

Something I've noticed is that you see a lot of young guys riding with stiff arms ie elbows locked. It's not a good way to control your machine but it can create problems with all your joints from hands, shoulders and neck. Arms should be bent and relaxed at all times.

@Donaldo wrote:..... Also, I am using a Michelin PR 2 in front (until spring) and a new PR 4 in the rear. I ride with 36 psi front and now 42 rear. I think that covers it.
Only my opinion but 42psi on the rear is getting very close to the upper limit. The norm would be around 38 +/- 2psi. Add a couple for extra weight and/or high speed. The front should be about 3psi lower than the rear. Cold pressure readings.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers

† † Fuel:† 95 Octane
Engine Oil:†Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:† Nulon Synthetic 75W90

7Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:16 am

Kyle10

Life time member
Life time member
Vibes coming thru your grips can also fatigue muscles and tax tendons. An effective, easy way to really dampen those mini-oscillations being transmitted into your arms is to fill your handlebar with lead shot.†
You'll be amazed how much it quiets down things.

And to add to Rick's excellent points: when riding visualize your shoulders being as far from your ears as possible. It'll prompt you to relax more, as tensing the trapezius muscles long-term is tiring. Roll your shoulders, stay loose; the bike 'knows' where to go more than you'd think, often.

8Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:50 pm

Donaldo

Kyle10, I would like to try the shot. However,† I have factory welded on bar end weights, I think they are welded on at least, also factory heated grips. Would you or someone suggest a way to get the shot in there and keep it in there that doesn't require major surgery?
Thanx

To Kaptain Hollister - I obviously can't get RS bars onto my K1100LT. I would love to see pics of your naked RT though and a list of parts that you needed to make it happen. I don't see myself altering this bike, it's too nice, but I would entertain purchasing another cosmetically challenged LT/RT and doing the transformation.

Re: tire pressure - I also thought that 42psi was high. ...I just replaced the rear Mich PR 2 with a PR4 at Max BMW. The rear tire had 10,000 miles on it when I changed it. Could have ridden it for at least another 1,000 but it cupped on both sides. The Max guys told me to increase tire pressure to 42.
I had been running around 36 - 38. Everyone seems to have a different number when it comes to tire pressures though and it can change from brand-to-brand, bias/radial, rider weight, w/ or w/o passenger & baggage, etc.

I have a very stiff rear shock that the previous owner installed, an Ohlins and it is harsh - like a hard-tail Hog. I don't know how to adjust it properly - I'm supposed to measure sag height, etc but am clueless as to how to do it. Anyway, I am going to Max BMW w/i the next couple of months to do the rebuild/adjustment/change of spring. I don't think that it is a part of my arm aching problem but it will be one less thing to be uncomfortable with.

Last edited by Donaldo on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

9Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
I'm not suggesting you change to RS bars. That was a decision I made for a number of other reasons. But having made that change I found with the slightly more forward prone position, I have had to be more conscious of relaxing my arms. I'm used to it now.

Olaf made a good point about positioning the levers. I think if they are too high you will get stress in the tendons in your forearms. I set mine so that when I stretch my arms and fingers out straight and place them on the grips, my fingers are just touching to tops of the levers. Feels pretty natural for me.

10Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Donaldo

To Kaptain Hollister -† I would love to see pics of your naked RT though and a list of parts that you needed to make it happen. I don't see myself altering this bike, it's too nice, but I would entertain purchasing another cosmetically challenged LT/RT and doing the transformation.

BTW, the levers were set there since before I owned the bike.

11Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:39 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
No worries.... But I'm away at the moment and its extremely convoluted to post pics from my tablet. Back Tuesday evening and will post a few then. There are a few threads about converting bars. I'll see if I can find a link.

Have a safe Chrissie
Cheers

12Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:56 pm

Kyle10

Life time member
Life time member
@Donaldo wrote:Kyle10, I would like to try the shot. However,† I have factory welded on bar end weights, I think they are welded on at least, also factory heated grips. Would you or someone suggest a way to get the shot in there and keep it in there that doesn't require major surgery?
Thanx

They may seem welded on from years of being unmolested but I'd wager if you'd give the bar end(s) a cleaning followed by a soak with penetrate the end would give. I donít think the factory welded bar ends closed, as that would preclude any future repairs, upgrades, etc.

13Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Inge K.

VIP
VIP
The bar end weights on the K11's have a plastic cover on the outside, which hides the mounting screws.
The part with the female threads is welded to the bar ends, tho.

14Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Donaldo

Inge, I am confused. Are you saying that the bar ends come off ...or they don't come off?
Also, the "plastic" cover that you refer to, are you talking about the black rubber cover or something underneath?
Thanks,
BTW, great Photoshop on the mascot pic. Ho, Ho, Ho!

15Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:09 pm

Inge K.

VIP
VIP
The weights can be removed, but first you must remove the cup shaped plastic covers to get acces to the mounting screws at the outer end of the weights.

Easiest way is to use a sharp knife and cut them open on two sides.
They way they is mounted....it's a grove around the weight at the end close to the rubber grip, and a ridge inside the plastic cover which fits into the grove and locks the cover in place.
It would be difficult to remove the cover w/o destroying it IMHO.

16Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:22 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
The bar ends come off so you can remove switch blocks and grips. The earlier bar ends had an expanding shaft but others screw into a small bracket welded inside the bar end.

Getting your handlebars and levers in the right position and making sure you don't have excess stress on your cables translating to stiff levers, should be a priority.

You say your machine runs smooth so the standard weights should be enough to counter any vibration. Handlebar vibration would normally result in a tingling numbness in the hands. †If you have sore arms (particularly your throttle side) I'd say you're holding on to the grips far too tight causing stress in your arms and shoulders as suggested by previous posters.
Bend your elbows
Drop your shoulders
Relax your grip
Trust your tyres
Use weight shifting to steer the bike, especially at low speed, and you won't need to hold the grips anywhere near so tight.
When you can ride relaxed, the big plus is you'll enjoy the ride a whole lot more.

Cheers

17Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:04 am

Donaldo

Yeah, I practice all of that, the Master Yoda riding posture, etc but can't sustain it. The ergo is not right for me. I think I need a bar with a different bend. I also feel a need to get rid of the Corbin and get something like a Russell-Day-Long Saddle. The Corbin that I bought is a cup for your butt and locks me into one position. I need to move around. I want a seat that I can slide back and forth on. Again, the bend in the bar does not feel right.

†I had a problem with the high (USA) bar on my 1975 R90/6, but in my wrists. A local wrench got a long pipe and placed it over the end of the handlebar and pushed it forward (on both sides) and that was that. So much better now. I have been thinking of having it done on the K11 but am afraid it will damage something...rubber mount, heated grips...so much more complex.

I have the OEM bench seat and the more forward bend /6 high bar on my R90 and I can ride it until I fall asleep. It's wonderful in the summer w/o a wind screen. Like low flying...Master Yoda style, Yep. Can Do.
Or maybe I'm just used to the R...been riding it for the last 33 years and 240,000+ miles.

Happy Holidays, Y'all† from Massachusetts, USA

18Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:09 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hello, Merry Christmass. I solved problem with adjustable handlebars on Aliexpress for 55 USD for my RT 100.†I moved bars little bit back just to relax elbow position.†And it works for me. Now I can change sitting position while driving.
Here is a link for handlebars
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-Hnadlebar-Riser-Black-Aluminum-CNC-Hand-Bars-Motorcycle-Clamps-Anodized-Handle-Bar-Riser-Fit-All/32354802625.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.255.k7Lcrg&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201644_3_79_78_77_82_80_62_81,searchweb201560_4

19Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Donaldo

Thanks Nino
I may try them.

20Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:48 am

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
To change the bar ergo it may be possible to find an old Suzuki GS1100GK set of bars they have a greater pull back that may reduce the fatigue you feel, maybe they were late 80's or early 90's bikes big tourers, air cooled engines. They were 22mm from what I believe. Or try the Honda Chopper type Z bars they may deliver something to better suit.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

21Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:33 am

Gaz

Life time member
Life time member
Here are a couple of photos that may add to what Inge has said about the K1100LT bar end weights.

I have had mine off without cutting them. They may need warming up with a hot air gun or hairdryer if you live in a cold climate but that is not required here in Oz. Just grip the black plastic end piece very firmly in your hand and twist while pulling towards the end of the bar. Once you have it starting to turn it will pull off OK.

In the photo you will see the groove that the plastic cover clips into and the allen key bolt that holds the weight onto the end of the bar. I didn't take a photo with the weight off but if you get this far you will see for yourself.

Cheers

22Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:57 am

Inge K.

VIP
VIP
Gaz80 wrote: I didn't take a photo with the weight off but if you get this far you will see for yourself.

Here's one with the weight removed..............

The plastic covers that I have removed from various K11's have been
impossible to twist due to the weights itself have been heavily rusted.

23Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:59 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
@Donaldo wrote:I can't be the only one who has this problem. Sore, tender arms from riding my LT.
The pain can last for days. It's both arms but more on the throttle side...I mean, right arm.
Any way to relieve this condition? Thanx
In my humble opinion ergonomics are everything.†
I have to get my 'bars and levers in place to suit me and I'm sure that if some riders actually put some thought into where their arms and hands are most comfortable, they'd be able to ride better and for longer. I'm certainly not having a go at anyone but I think that some riders don't know how to set up their controls or that it matters. The next time you're out and about, have a look at the way some bikes are set up, 'bars in impossible positions and the levers-don't get me started!! You know these people can't ride properly.
I normally loosen the handlebars and levers so I can move them all into a position where I feel most comfortable. My levers always sit where my extended fingers naturally fall onto the top of the lever- I'm an elbows up rider so my levers point a fair way down.
I have a K1100LT and I'm not that fussed on how the'bars bend inwards and toward me but by loosening everything I found positions for everything that I can live with.
My next ergonomic problem is my R1200RS lc. I dislike the 'bars and therefore riding position so mush I may have to swap them for R1200R lc 'bars & risers.

It's also worth taking a look at the gear and brake lever while you've got the spanners out.

Good luck anyway,
Mike.

24Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:38 pm

Kyle10

Life time member
Life time member
Donaldo,†
Ergo's considerations aside if you are suffering as bad as I'm reading one of the possible solutions could very well lie in your technique.†

Are you gripping the 'bars tightly a lot of the time? If so, you needn't. Light touch, mostly pushing for steering. Invest in cruise control or a throttle lock device to give your right meathook a break.†

Having one, two, three areas of discomfort with your bike can ruin what is supposed to be a relaxing, energizing experience. Keep tweaking until you've the bike tailored to your comfort. Your riding experience will be taken to the next level and you'll be well pleased.†

Best of luck,

25Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:44 pm

Donaldo

I thought that when I replaced the original "comfort" seat with the present Corbin, that I bought on IBMWR classifieds, my problems would be over with. While the Corbin is much better that the oem, it is very restrictive. It is their butt-cup model and allows NO sliding back. My present position feels unnatural as my feet are too far back in relation to my knees so that I don't feel like I am able to hold myself up w/o using the handlebar. Added to that the god-awful bend to this bar and it is a recipe for discomfort. Looks like I will need yet another seat. My idea is to get a Russell-Day-Long. They are made custom (and have a custom price tag).

I want to change the bar but retain my heated grips.
I have heard that a K75C bar with a barback will work. Anyone here have any experience with that set-up?† But it seems that you need a "heated grip" specific bar for the wires? Dunno.
My thanks to all who have replied. so far.
I think I'm getting somewhere...

26Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:30 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
@Donaldo wrote:To Kaptain Hollister -† I would love to see pics of your naked RT though and a list of parts that you needed to make it happen. I don't see myself altering this bike, it's too nice, but I would entertain purchasing another cosmetically challenged LT/RT and doing the transformation.

BTW, the levers were set there since before I owned the bike. Then you need to set them up for your own ergo
Don't get me wrong, I liked the RT fairing but I much prefer the naked style and with the RS bars and the slightly lower and more forward riding position; which I'd say is essential with no fairing, to counter the wind force. Sometime this year I'll be experimenting with flat bars to bring me slightly lower again.
This is what she looked like without the lowers...
What I didn't like about the fairing was that air turbulence off the top of the shield created a lot of noise. There's been a lot of discussion here about that problem.

These are pics I took just the other day.

I had to space the instrument pod further forward about a cm to clear the brake reservoir but will be lowering this as well as slanting it forward more eventually when I get time to make up a bracket.

27Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Donaldo

Sorry K.H. but I don't see any pictures...? Sad

28Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:05 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
You should be. They're displaying ok on mine and another computer I checked as well as my tablet.
They may just take a little while to download to your PC. Try refreshing the page by pressing F5.

29Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:44 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
just a question

have you tried a thicker grip

you could test this theory by maybe wrapping some fine foam around the grip and taping it in place for a test ride

the grips on many bmws are rather slim for my hands ....I found the foam type grips give me a better ride distance before my wrists lock up giving me pain in the shoulders and arms

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

30Back to top Go down    Re: Riding my LT gives me a pain... on Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:47 am

Donaldo

KH,
I'm seeing your pics now. I like both versions. looks good! I want both. One for cold weather and the other for warm weather...I want to find a rough looking K1100 to strip down as you have done. My LT is very hot to ride in summer due to the fairing but is great this time of year. I wouldn't mind finding a K1200RS to do the same with....130 HP.

Charlie,
I may try thicker grip add-ons this spring but for now, my heated grips are important to keep unobstructed.

Yesterday I moved the LT bar down so that the bar controls almost touch the top of the gas tank on full turn in. I like this position better. Not done yet though. I am considering a new seat. Maybe K75C bar with a bar-back?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum