BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    The weight of a K on Sat Jan 09 2016, 23:37

AL-58

Life time member
Life time member
Personally I've never felt a K was particularly heavy, basically till this morning.

As many of you might know I have recently gained employment as a Postie (Motorcycle Postal Delivery Officer) and now get to ride around for a fair bit of every day on a menacing Honda SuperCub on your footpaths.

The sidecar now feels like a truck every time I get on it. Today I took the lean, lithe stripped down K100 out and nearly dropped it while getting on or getting off about 4 times. Where did all that weight come from all of a sudden? I'm also forgetting to use the clutch when pulling up at the lights. Well, at least I'm not riding it on the footpaths!.

Al

'87 K100RT with Paralever backend

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

2Back to top Go down    Re: The weight of a K on Sun Jan 10 2016, 02:11

Gaz

Life time member
Life time member
Al, it just proves how quickly we humans adapt to new environments.

When I get on one of the bikes that I haven't ridden for a while everything feels strange then after a very short time I forget about it and just ride. I'm sure you have experienced the same.

3Back to top Go down    Re: The weight of a K on Sun Jan 10 2016, 03:01

WoodyAUK75

Silver member
Silver member
I don't ride many other road bikes, but I took my mate's 1500 Boulevard for a ride the other day. ( He had been on the road for a month and was worried about the battery going flat. He was also certain I would fall in love with it.) Goodness, is that thing heavy! And ungainly to ride. It took me four trips to work before I got the hang of it, and then I started scraping on the corners. The previous bike I'd test rode was a CBR600, and I couldn't get over how tiny it was.
I used to have a CZ175 and the kick start and gear lever were the same thing and the gearbox was four down.

4Back to top Go down    Re: The weight of a K on Sun Jan 10 2016, 09:23

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
@AL-58 wrote:Today I took the lean, lithe stripped down K100 out and nearly dropped it while getting on or getting off about 4 times.
For little kids, we install training wheels on bicycles.
For older adults with balance problems, we install a sidecar on the motorcycle

The last time that I took the K75 out, I nearly dropped it when merging from the driveway to the street. The K75 is so light it comparison of the K100.

@AL-58 wrote:The sidecar now feels like a truck every time I get on it
About my EML sidecar:
K100rt = 250Kg + at least 50 extra Kg for the subframe, the dual swing arm with the extra shock and extra weight of the Earls forks + 130Kg for the sidecar(empty) = 450Kg or close to 1,000lbs.
If the auxiliary gas tank in the sidecar is full (11 gallons), with the rider and a passenger, the total weight is close to 1,400Lbs.
No wonder that I have to drag my feet on the ground when I want to stop.

5Back to top Go down    Re: The weight of a K on Mon Jan 11 2016, 03:02

AL-58

Life time member
Life time member
My previous K sidecar weighed in on a weighbridge at 360kg without me, weighbridge ticket was required for its intitial registration at the time. In 2002 after a little lap around the country towing a camper I decided to put it across the weighbridge to see what the old girl was pulling. Me, the bike, the sidecar, the trailer, the dog and all we were carrying came in at 880kg.

No wonder the brake disks were showing stress from heat (Rick has one of them now)

Al

'87 K100RT with Paralever backend

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

6Back to top Go down    Re: The weight of a K on Mon Jan 11 2016, 16:41

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
I managed to get 34kg off my Cobas K100......and it still feels heavy.....because it still is!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum