BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:33 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Motorcycle gear fails abrasion tests

An extract from the article:

Eight out of 10 of the most commonly worn motorcycle suits in Australia have failed abrasion tests conducted by Dr Chris Hurren at Deakin University in a joint study with researchers from Neuroscience Research Australia in Sydney.
Senior Research Officer Dr Liz de Rome says only two passed at the minimal level of the European standard.

“Eight failed miserably,” she says.

“The best quality product in the market in Australia today is probably the stuff in Aldi."

“I introduced Aldi to a manufacturing consultant who advises companies on how to make gear that will comply with the European standard, and that is what they have done. Nobody else in Australia is producing full sets of motorcycle gear –  jackets, pants and gloves –  that comply with the European Standards."

Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

2Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:45 am

Chocolate

Life time member
Life time member

Hello!

Seams that I missed the motorcycle suits here at Aldi In Germany!
Interesting what Aldi is selling down under.
Good gear doesn't have to be expensive, good to know :-)

What I heard was that kangaroo leather must be good stuff.

Cheers

3Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:51 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Does Chocolate go with Espresso?

The Aldi gear was good but the range that was on sale in 2015 did not have removable linings where previous years the lining was removable. They would have been too hot for any kind of summer riding.

4Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Chocolate

Life time member
Life time member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Does Chocolate go with Espresso?
YES

have removable linings …
Hello Olaf, how is life in Cork, fresh fisch from the English Market?!
I heard Apple is building a lot in hollyhill.

That's true, linings must be removable, otherwise it's getting to hot.
I prefer leather, thats nice in summer time, even so it's not 100% waterproofed.

My gloves have kangaroo leather :-)

Cheers

5Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:56 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
It will be interesting to se what ranges they do this year. I think a lot of last years was left unsold because a lot of people looking left it once they found the lining was not removable.

Yes Apply is building yet again. They have been doing great since Windows 8 came out.

As for the English Market, only the best go there for their fish.

Read the full article here... http://www.koconnellfish.com/news/when-pat-met-liz

6Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:33 am

Chocolate

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Olaf!

I remember living in Cork when the Queen was there.
My neighbor didn't like the English girl and was thinking of shooting her, but he didn't ;-)

Pats fish is great and he is funny, every Saturday I got my fresh austers there from austerhaven not to far from Cork. Where I often went snorkeling.

Cheers

7Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Two Wheels Better

I shudder to think that Aldi's cheap, plasticky, Asian-made gear is some of the safest available in Australia, online or in retail outlets. I've handled that stuff in the past and unless they've made great strides forward in quality in the past three or so years I'd steer clear of it. It doesn't contain current armour like Knox 3.0 or Force Field, triple stitched reinforcements, fabrics like Cordura, which the very basic in safety gear available from Klim, Tour Master, Fieldsheer, Frank Thomas, BMW, Rev It, Firstgear, or even basic brands like Icon, Ixon and Joe Rocket, do. Built to a price would best describe it.

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT

8Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Well... after a long loop round and reading all the Aussie stuff, I ended up subscribing to Ride magazine. Don't ask... Shocked

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

9Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
I never buy motorcycle gear in North America. When I want new gear, I am waiting to be in France and buy exclusively outfits stamped with the CE certified logo. We can find some here in N.A., but the cost is very high.
When you see some of the crap sold here as motorcycle equipment, you sometimes wonder. (Pants with single stitching that goes apart on their own are common)
HERE is a very good article about CE certification.

One excellent feature that I like on my jackets is a loop at the bottom of the back that you can attache to your belt. At least if you slide on the road, the jacket doesn't slide up and it keep covering your back.

One of my friend was wearing very high quality gears when he unfortunately encountered 2 deers in front of his wheel.
He was badly hurt and when at the emergency, the doctor treating him was a biker. He couldn't believe the amount of rashes and quickly came to the conclusion that being a hot day, my friend had slightly opened the zipper of his jacket and that was enough to have the jacket going down his shoulders when he was sliding on the road.

What ever gear you are wearing will offer full protection only if you are wearing them properly!

My 2¢...

10Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:01 pm

floyd

Life time member
Life time member
Ive been using an Aldi textile jacket since 2013 and its great. The only bummer is no removable lining and its hot in summer. But it was only about $100. 

I use it every single day. 

It has amour in the back, the elbows and shoulders.

It is made from Cordura

it has 3M reflective strips around it.

It meets Euro standards. 

It has a lot of adjustment - waist straps and arms straps

Its very water proof - ive never gotten wet with it on.

Its got ventilation zips. 

Ive also used their kevlar jeans for the same time. Comfy, cheap and well made. nothing has come un stitched etc.

Ive come off (low speed slides) a few times wearing both items and they have never torn or worn through.

11Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:05 pm

Two Wheels Better

Proof enough for some. Sometimes this is all we need. I'm remembering what Drake said last year, something like, "I don't care what other people wear (in regard to their skimpy riding clothing) as long as they don't care about what I wear."

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT

12Back to top Go down    Re: Aldi has the best quality safety gear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:11 pm

floyd

Life time member
Life time member
And being "Asian-made" certainly has little weight in this discussion. 

Bloody everything is asian made. Ducatis, KTMs, Triumphs, BMWs even. And likely most of the high end safety gear brands. 

The Aldi stuff ive got has CE Approved stamped all over it - and surely that counts for something...

But what ever makes you happy is of course the moral of the story Wink

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum