BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    What to do. on Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:57 pm

WoodyAUK75

Silver member
Silver member
I've had my K75s for 13yrs. It's a 1993, I bought it in 2003 with 120,00km on it. The odo stopped a couple of years ago just before 160,000. It didn't get ridden much for five years as I was close enough to push bike to work. Used it most days for the last couple of years, 35k each way to work. Not in winter though. I do regular oil changes and have changed the brakes, not the discs, but both master cylinders and the rear line, and pads as necessary.
Anyway, it's started taking a while to warm up, it will start ok, but stall at the stop sign two minutes later, even on full choke. Always starts right up and is fine 20min later when I get to town. Also backfires when you slow down. I stopped it doing this when I bought it, but recently is doing it again. There is on oil mark between the engine and gearbox. The seat has a few tears in it and I was planing to replace the foam.
It's been dropped on both sides and both the sump and valve cover have scratches.

I really have enjoyed owning this bike, but lately an old knee injury has been playing up and making it very painful to change gears.
So I'm wondering what it is really worthy? I paid $6500 for it in 2003 and Swan charges $250 per annum for a $6000 agreed value policy.
Any ideas? It's registered til the 15/3, so if anyone wants to PM me a serious offer, they could ride it home. Not that I definitely want to sell, but who knows?

2Back to top Go down    Re: What to do. on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:58 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
It is very difficult to sell an older bike let alone set a price that will be good for both, don't rely at all on the insurance value they usually are very optimistic.
Have a look around on Ebay, Gumtree and Bikesales.com but the latter usually is an expensive place to buy.
I usually say that it's worth what someone will pay for it.
As for the stalling you most probably have an air leak or maybe the inlet valves have closed up a bit and need some adjustment at the shims.
The backfiring is a trait of the 75s but check the bolts on the exhaust and also if the sleeve at the joint of the muffler/collector still exists, they fall to bits after a few years. I made a sleeve from .42mm colourbond steel.
The oil stain is most likely coming from the seal behind the Alternator drive.

Get a knee replacement its better than selling the bike.

3Back to top Go down    Re: What to do. on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:42 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
@RicK G wrote:Get a knee replacement its better than selling the bike.
(solemnly agrees).

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

4Back to top Go down    Re: What to do. on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 pm

pond snail

Sorry Woody, I can't offer any advice on the value, shame you are thinking of selling it, but could I ask, looks like a basic, low seat model with an s fairing added at a later date?, or did it leave the factory with that seat fairing combination?.

Or more likely perhaps someone changed to the low seat?.

Sorry for thread hijack...

Sorry to hear you are getting knee problems Woody, hope its not too bad for you,

All the best,

John

5Back to top Go down    Re: What to do. on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:05 am

WoodyAUK75

Silver member
Silver member
I actually did not know it was a low seat until I joined this group. It was 10yrs old when I bought it. I don't think I could be happy without it anyway, so it has been re registered and is ridden daily. I am talking to a local upholsterer about the seat.

6Back to top Go down    Re: What to do. on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:57 am

beanoldboy

Life time member
Life time member
would a heel-toe gearlever help your knee during gear changes ?

http://www.airware.com.au

7Back to top Go down    Re: What to do. on Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:01 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I have a knee issue too and riding on too low a seat doesn't work for me as it would leave me with a very angled sitting position which does not help my knee at all.

If you hit over 5' 8" you should not have a real need for that low seat and you could undo the low seat. A few ways of doing this, the standard stuff is probably readily available even locally and low seat kits do sell well enough if complete.There is also what is called a 'Comfort' seat off the K100LT which is in my opinion the best of all having used one for 3 years. I don't mean the Corbin but the BMW one, its soft and very good forextra long trips.

8Back to top Go down    Re: What to do. on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:45 am

TacKler

Life time member
Life time member
Woody.

PM sent.

9Back to top Go down    Re: What to do. on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:41 pm

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
Woody Glad to hear you have re-registered it and using it again. If your knee is playing up a little, try swapping with one of the boy up your way, the next up is the plane slab seat and up again is the comfort seat, so someone up your way will have something you can try before you knee goes south for the winter. Its barely a week end job to do a swap, give yourself a month or so on the different seats till you find one that will allow you to stay riding for longer mate.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum