BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New Member sort of Empty New Member sort of Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:57 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
Hi,I joined this forum about two years ago when a friend gave me a 1988 K 100 .It is a nice bike with only 12000 miles on it but hasn't run in over 12 years.I got sidetracked with other projects but the other day I found my way back to the K.I fixed the brakes so now it has brakes.Then I got a new battery.The fuel pump is shot,I knew this would be the case.So,now I have the tank off and I cleaned out all the rusty debris from the rotting fuel gauge sender. Here are a few photos of the bike and the inside of the tank befor & after I cleaned it.I have a new ( good used)sender coming .I need to find out what material to make a gasket with for it.Also going to get the pump kit from euroelectrics .I need new fuel lines and then I'm going to look at the injectors.This is all new to me,I work on vintage mostly ,you know ,carbs and points stuff but I've been wrenching for 50 years so I'm not clueless.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.New Member sort of Img_9010
New Member sort of Img_0914
New Member sort of Img_0912
New Member sort of Img_0911
New Member sort of Img_0910
New Member sort of Img_0913

https://motoguzzi850t.blogspot.com/

2Back to top Go down   New Member sort of Empty Re: New Member sort of Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That's a nice clean tank you have now. Check the alloy just under the pump for corrosion, they often go there.
The sender has a large O-ring for a seal and providing the surface is good and clean then the O-ring is all that is needed. Heaps cheaper to buy the fuel pump bits for the later model K1100, it does the job properly and it's easier to get a replacement pump on the road if you need it. Or buy the rubber vibration damper for a 38mm pump and get a pump on fleabay for as little as $20

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   New Member sort of Empty Re: New Member sort of Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:32 pm

Brad-Man

Brad-Man
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome back to the forum.

Glad you're getting back to the K.

4Back to top Go down   New Member sort of Empty Re: New Member sort of Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:14 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum.  Nice job on the tank.  Should be a pretty nice ride when you get it done.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down   New Member sort of Empty Re: New Member sort of Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:29 am

Viper357

Viper357
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome  New Member sort of 177912

Lots of advice, help, humor and old fashioned camaraderie to be found here on the K forum

Cheers

gary

6Back to top Go down   New Member sort of Empty Re: New Member sort of Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:44 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
don't cheapskate the fuel hose inside the tank .....else it will perish dramatically

the current recommendation for hose inside the tank ( with all this ethanol stuff floating about far more frequently these days ) is 30r10  meaning it is rated for internal use and least loss of vapours which are more prevalent with the new mix of additive enhanced fuels .

as you go up the number on the last bit of the specification r7 ...r8... r9 etc .... the porousness of the hose becomes less ...or the integrity increases

meaning if you chose 30 r7 for the external fuel pressure lines ...which is quite ok for efi uses ....you will notice that that hose carries a strong smell of fuel ... but is not rated for internal use ...as the outer wall of the hose is very  erm economical
also you will notice the internal webbing of the hose (which makes it less susceptible to distortion - expansion from pressure _ ) becomes more effective as the r rating increases.

hint whilst in the rebuilding phase ...  just leave the hoses from the tank to the fuel rail about an inch or so longer than what you removed ...this will aid in moving the tank off its mounts without disconnecting the hose ..or the lower fairings to get access ... ( a pain always ) just to access the radiator filler cap and all around there ?

just something that might help longer term ..

welcome back

have fun

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   New Member sort of Empty Re: New Member sort of Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:05 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for all your replies and encouragement.I'm into it now and it's starting to move along.Today I took apart the fuel injectors  , shot some carb cleaner thru them until it ran out the other end clear and am soaking them in injector cleaner overnight . I numbered them so they will go back where they came from.The info on the types of fuel line is very valuable to me,thank you.I do want to run all new lines inside and out. I think once I get the fuel system in shape this bike will be a runner.Everything else looks real good.I'll do an oil change and new coolant before I put it all back together and try to get it started.I have a good feeling about this bike and I can't wait to get out on the open road on my first trip on her.That will be up to my camp in the Adirondacks ,about 400 miles away.The plan is to sell that place,move to the desert in north west Arizona and use this bike as my rider out west and wander.At 67 years old that's all I want to do now and this bike should serve me well.New Member sort of Img_0915
New Member sort of Img_0917
New Member sort of Img_0916

8Back to top Go down   New Member sort of Empty Re: New Member sort of Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:00 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I should serve you well indeed. It would pay to put new O-rings, pintle caps and filters in the injectors. It only cost at most $20 and well worth it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   New Member sort of Empty Re: New Member sort of Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:22 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:I should serve you well indeed. It would pay to put new O-rings, pintle caps and filters in the injectors. It only cost at most $20 and well worth it.
I'm thinking of just using these as are for a couple tanks of gas and then upgrading to those 4jet kind.I see them rebuilt here and there for about a hundred bucks.

10Back to top Go down   New Member sort of Empty Re: New Member sort of Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:16 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I know a few use the 4 hole injector but my theory is that the ones sold on ebay as an upgrade (oem#0280150415) are actually a downgrade. They are designed to run at higher pressures and at 36psi a K100 will run just a tad lean. 
1 hole Vs 4 hole injectors

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 New Member sort of Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum