BMW K bikes (Bricks)


You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    Electrical issues on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:58 pm

AmaiaUSC

avatar
active member
active member
Hi there,

So I've replaced the original cluster in my K100 for an Acewell speedo combined with an Bep 2.0 (marulabs). I thought everything will work straightaway with the Bep 2.0 but unfortunately I do have some issues.

Blinkers blinking frequency depends on motorbike speed.
Weird. When the motorbike is stopped everything works fine. When I ride in the road / highway (>90 km/h) the frequency changes till fixe (high frequency).

RPM signal
Do you know if I can use original cluster RPM pin with my Acewell speedo ?

Coolant temperature sensor
I use the BMW original coolant temperature sensor with the Acewell speedo but it shows a different resistance value. Do you know how can I correct this value ?

Speed value
I installed the universal magnet speedo but the measured speed is false. Does anybody has a photo of how this should be installed ? Instructions doesn't see very clear to me...

Thanks you in advance !

Cheers,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomlife/albums
    

2Back to top Go down    Re: Electrical issues on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Chocolate

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Hello Amaia!

Nice to hear from you again.
How is life :-)

Honestly I probably can't help, but you could try to ask Maru the man who build the BEP, send him a mail.
You can tell him that he can answer in German and I translate to English or maybe Hebrew if you like.

Looking forward to see some pictures

Cheers


__________________________________________________
Only a few activities make me experience my senses in a way motorcycle riding does, it is like swimming in the nude in a river.
K75 BA/1992 ABS, K75 BA/1991 noABS, Ducati, Mobylette M1/1973
    

3Back to top Go down    Re: Electrical issues on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:32 pm

kioolt

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Could someone give me a link to the Bep?


__________________________________________________
2004 R1150RT 183,000 miles
1991 K100LT 128,700 miles
1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
Total418,600 BMW miles

AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA


The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
    

4Back to top Go down    Re: Electrical issues on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:41 pm

Inge K.

avatar
VIP
VIP


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

5Back to top Go down    Re: Electrical issues on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:57 pm

AmaiaUSC

avatar
active member
active member
Hi guys !

So hereafter the link to BEP, sorry only available in german :

http://maru-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/BEP2_Anleitung_V4.pdf

@ Chocolate, you were right Marcus (Maru Labs) did a great solution with BEP 2.0 I guess I will better ask him directly but he is now on holidays and may be more people founded same problems that me so I decided to share them. I certainly write Marcus on Monday... if nobody can help me before.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomlife/albums
    

6Back to top Go down    Re: Electrical issues on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Chocolate

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Ja, maybe somebody here knows more.
I think Maru is with his daughter and his girl on a italien island.
If nobody answers contact him.

Cheers and a sunny weekend here :-)
My bike is ready to ride


__________________________________________________
Only a few activities make me experience my senses in a way motorcycle riding does, it is like swimming in the nude in a river.
K75 BA/1992 ABS, K75 BA/1991 noABS, Ducati, Mobylette M1/1973
    

7Back to top Go down    Re: Electrical issues on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:44 pm

robmack

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@AmaiaUSC wrote:Blinkers blinking frequency depends on motorbike speed.
Weird. When the motorbike is stopped everything works fine. When I ride in the road / highway (>90 km/h) the frequency changes till fixe (high frequency).
That's weird. Did you also replace the indicators front and back with LEDS? If yes, did you do the modification to the flasher relay in the relay box to stop hyperflashing? The Acewell turn indicator(s) are just LEDs and should not cause a load on the circuit that would vary the blink frequency. The indicator circuit is also outside the scope of BEP's control.

@AmaiaUSC wrote:RPM signal
Do you know if I can use original cluster RPM pin with my Acewell speedo ?
You should be able to tap into that signal. If it does not work, then use the external wire wrapped around spark plug wire #1.

@AmaiaUSC wrote:Coolant temperature sensor
I use the BMW original coolant temperature sensor with the Acewell speedo but it shows a different resistance value. Do you know how can I correct this value ?
Does this mean you have parallel wired the Acewell to the temp sensor on the block? Can you add a compatible temp sensor in place of the water pump drain plug?

@AmaiaUSC wrote:Speed value
I installed the universal magnet speedo but the measured speed is false. Does anybody has a photo of how this should be installed ? Instructions doesn't see very clear to me...
You can pick up speed from the BMW OEM sensor built into the final drive. Take your speed signal off of Pin 2-11 "Geschwindigkeitssignal" on the BEP. Program the Acewell to recognize 6 pulses per revolution and the corresponding circumference of your tire. Fine tune the circumference by comparing the actual speed indicated with a speedometer app that runs on your smart phone.


__________________________________________________
Robert
1987 K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/
    

8Back to top Go down    Re: Electrical issues on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:45 pm

AmaiaUSC

avatar
active member
active member
Hi Robmack !

Thank you for your post. So,

Blinkers
No, I did not replace front & back blinkers with LED's one. So if the problem is not inside the BEP and if I suppose that I wired right could be any fuse ?

RPM signal
Cool, I will try to use the signal and see if will work.

Coolant temperature sensor
I actually bought a BMW coolant temperature sensor and replace the coolant drain plug. I did not used the coolant temperature Acewell supplied cause the size was not the good one, I thought both resistance were compatible but apparently no. May I buy a Acewell with the right size ?

Speed value
Nice, I did not know that I could use the original signal. However, Acewell diagram show two signals "Speed +" and "Speed -" and you only suggest to use pin 2-11 from BEP. Sorry but I do not understand how this could be possible ?

Thank again for your help !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomlife/albums
    

9Back to top Go down    Re: Electrical issues on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:53 pm

robmack

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@AmaiaUSC wrote:Blinkers
No, I did not replace front & back blinkers with LED's one. So if the problem is not inside the BEP and if I suppose that I wired right could be any fuse ?
Can't see this problem of varying frequency being a fuse problem. I haven't ever heard of this symptom if you haven't rewired the indicator circuit, so I'm not sure what could be causing it. Can you confirm that you've left all the signal wiring alone and intact as it came from the factory?

@AmaiaUSC wrote:Coolant temperature sensor
I actually bought a BMW coolant temperature sensor and replace the coolant drain plug. I did not used the coolant temperature Acewell supplied cause the size was not the good one, I thought both resistance were compatible but apparently no. May I buy a Acewell with the right size ?
You'll have to find an Acewell sender that is compatible with the threading in the water pump. One possibility is to find an male-female thread adapter that will go between the sender and the pump.

@AmaiaUSC wrote:Speed value
Nice, I did not know that I could use the original signal. However, Acewell diagram show two signals "Speed +" and "Speed -" and you only suggest to use pin 2-11 from BEP. Sorry but I do not understand how this could be possible ?
"Speed -" connects to ground, "Speed +" goes to BEP Pin 2-11.


__________________________________________________
Robert
1987 K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/
    

10Back to top Go down    Re: Electrical issues on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:00 pm

AmaiaUSC

avatar
active member
active member
Blinkers
"Intact as it came from factory" Not really, I actually cut both harness before I got the solution of BEP. So I soldered the harness back and use the BEP.
I think I did it properly but may be this could be the origin. I should check this point. However, this doesn't explain why only happens at high speed, am I right ?

Coolant temperature sensor
Thank's I will buy the Acewell sensor.

Speed value
Easy Wink

Thanks !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomlife/albums
    

11Back to top Go down    Re: Electrical issues on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:33 pm

jjs1234

avatar
active member
active member
I was asking maru about the BEP as I had also bought one. My main questions were the Speed sensor.

This is his/her reply:
**********

Hoi Micha

the customer does not need a separate speed sensor. He needs
just connect the BEP and the speed signal there
tap.

in '84 K100 he has no float and thus no
Level indicator. Only one spare light when 4L. That is the only
Restriction to later models.

Gruss Maru
************

Random question:

So I never knew what 4L was. I have seen it on the original dash. Does this mean "you have 4 litres of fuel left (aka 1 gallon)?"
Also based on his reply I am guessing I need to come up with a light that is Separate from the acewell- that Illuminates when the 4L light comes on.

I am trying to figure out if the Acewell can read the fuel resistance another way...?

Any help here.


AmaiaUSChow is your build progressing? Have you figured out your issues?


__________________________________________________
1984 K100
    

12Back to top Go down    Almost done... on Sun May 08, 2016 4:22 pm

AmaiaUSC

avatar
active member
active member
@jjs1234 wrote:I was asking maru about the BEP as I had also bought one. My main questions were the Speed sensor.

This is his/her reply:
**********

Hoi Micha

the customer does not need a separate speed sensor. He needs
just connect the BEP and the speed signal there
tap.

in '84 K100 he has no float and thus no
Level indicator. Only one spare light when 4L. That is the only
Restriction to later models.

Gruss Maru
************

Random question:

So I never knew what 4L was. I have seen it on the original dash. Does this mean "you have 4 litres of fuel left (aka 1 gallon)?"
Also based on his reply I am guessing I need to come up with a light that is Separate from the acewell- that Illuminates when the 4L light comes on.

I am trying to figure out if the Acewell can read the fuel resistance another way...?

Any help here.


AmaiaUSChow is your build progressing? Have you figured out your issues?
Hi therejjs1234,

So I did the different modifications and I everything works except the blinkers.
You can use for the speed the signal of your K and also the rpm signal. Just don't forget to configure your Acewell speedo. I can give you my settings If this will help you.

Regarding the fuel gauge, you should first know what kind of sender you have. This post will be help you to know that :

http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/download/electrical/fuel%20sensors/fuel%20level%20sensors.htm

If your bike has a float arm sender, I can help you to handle with the wirings.

Cheers,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomlife/albums
    

Sponsored content


    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum