BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Which Battery on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:13 pm

Johnny kidd

Johnny kidd
active member
active member
Hi lads can anyone recomend a battery for my 91 k75, Im fairly sure the one in it is gone as bike refused to start after a ten mile run today.  Im fairly sure it is the battery as it was barely turning over the engine for the past couple of weeks. Cheers

    

2Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:00 pm

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
For starters do you have ABS. I ask because I have seen faulty ABS destroy a battery because it was leaking current and causing the battery to go flat in about a week.
I have used the Motobatt MBTx30U from memory and it lasted 7 1/2 years and have had good reports from others. Not saying it's the only one as there are many others that are good. Oddessy 680 has a good reputation. Try to get an AGM type as they don't leak acid and will give good value because they last much longer than a lead/acid wet cell type.
The Ks came with either the larger 27AH which usually was fitted to the authorities bikes and LTs and the 18AH which was the usual battery fitted to the RS. Mostly the 75 was fitted with the smaller version.
I use the large size because I use a CPAP for sleeping and run it from the 12v when camping.
They all start quite well with the smaller so long as the CCA is around 250.
Now if that dont confuse you more will be along soon with their ideas Laughing


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

3Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:48 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
+1 that. Just look for something around 20Ah will be all you need for a K75.
Maintenance free AGM or Gel battery is the best option as prices are very competitive these days.
Also, make sure you get the right physical size so it fits. Shouldn't be an issue with a 20Ah bat.
And the orientation of the terminals is important.

MBTX20U  
21 Ah
310 cca

There are cheaper AGM batteries. Look around for something with around the same specs.


__________________________________________________

1989 K100RT     VIN No.  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN No.  0451808
  Which Battery Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90
    

4Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:09 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Physical size and terminal orientation should also be considered.  OEM battery is L x W x H (mm): 186 x 130 x 171. Battery terminal type and orientation is as below (ignore the dimensions in the blue box):
Which Battery Ytx20l-bs-spec


__________________________________________________
Robert
1987 K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca
http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/
    

5Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:44 am

Johnny kidd

Johnny kidd
active member
active member
Thanks lads loads of useful info there. Laughing 
I took old battery out today and Im doubting it is the correct type for my bike to begin with, there was always a hesitation when starting as if the battery was struggling, heres a pic of what was powering my bike.


Which Battery Dsc_0210
Which Battery Dsc_0211

    

6Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:54 am

RicK G

RicK G
VIP
VIP
Woefully underpowered  That is an 11AH battery, the size used in small twins like 250cc max


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

7Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:28 am

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Also CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) at 120 is way way too low for a K. Probably the main reason for the starting issues. Potentially could also lead to starter relay contacts welding together. 

Bill


__________________________________________________
1985 K100RT  VIN 0028991  My original Very Happy   (Historic rego)
1985 K100RT  VIN 0029036  BOB the Blue Old Bike  (Historic rego)
1990 K100LT  VIN 0190452  Work in progress
1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Newest toy, slightly non-original
    

8Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:44 am

Johnny kidd

Johnny kidd
active member
active member
@indian036 wrote:Also CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) at 120 is way way too low for a K. Probably the main reason for the starting issues. Potentially could also lead to starter relay contacts welding together. 

Bill
Cheers Bill whatkind of CCA should I be looking for in my new battery? Mylocal dealer says he has a battery rated at 22AH for a very good price, would this be powerful enough provided CCA as you say is high enough

    

9Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:51 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

92KK 84WW Olaf
Life time member
Life time member
When my K1100LT battery failed up in Westport on a Friday of a bank holiday weekend I was devastated.

A visit to a lawnmower shop produced an identical dimension battery for €50 which served me perfectly. Was 21Ah as far as I recall. Its still going.

KH has you covered there.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Alaska Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 102,50 miles
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell No 34,600 miles
    

10Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:40 pm

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
@Johnny kidd wrote:
@indian036 wrote:Also CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) at 120 is way way too low for a K. Probably the main reason for the starting issues. Potentially could also lead to starter relay contacts welding together. 

Bill
Cheers Bill whatkind of CCA should I be looking for in my new battery? Mylocal dealer says he has a battery rated at 22AH for a very good price, would this be powerful enough provided CCA as you say is high enough
I'm away from home and resources, but I think I'd be looking at a minimum of ~250CCA. Most of the recommended batteries are over 300,including the one KH recommended. 

Bill


__________________________________________________
1985 K100RT  VIN 0028991  My original Very Happy   (Historic rego)
1985 K100RT  VIN 0029036  BOB the Blue Old Bike  (Historic rego)
1990 K100LT  VIN 0190452  Work in progress
1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Newest toy, slightly non-original
    

11Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:02 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
I find the SSB XR series RB30CL-B  very good, with 30 Ah and 460 CCA


__________________________________________________
87 K100rs : Vin 9462 
86 K100rt : Vin 9901
Naked
98 K1100lt: Vin 8044
    

12Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:20 pm

Johnny kidd

Johnny kidd
active member
active member
@RicK G wrote:For starters do you have ABS. I ask because I have seen faulty ABS destroy a battery because it was leaking current and causing the battery to go flat in about a week.
I have used the Motobatt MBTx30U from memory and it lasted 7 1/2 years and have had good reports from others. Not saying it's the only one as there are many others that are good. Oddessy 680 has a good reputation. Try to get an AGM type as they don't leak acid and will give good value because they last much longer than a lead/acid wet cell type.
The Ks came with either the larger 27AH which usually was fitted to the authorities bikes and LTs and the 18AH which was the usual battery fitted to the RS. Mostly the 75 was fitted with the smaller version.
I use the large size because I use a CPAP for sleeping and run it from the 12v when camping.
They all start quite well with the smaller so long as the CCA is around 250.
Now if that dont confuse you more will be along soon with their ideas Laughing
I don't have ABS Rick

    

13Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:21 pm

Johnny kidd

Johnny kidd
active member
active member
@indian036 wrote:
@Johnny kidd wrote:
@indian036 wrote:Also CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) at 120 is way way too low for a K. Probably the main reason for the starting issues. Potentially could also lead to starter relay contacts welding together. 

Bill
Cheers Bill whatkind of CCA should I be looking for in my new battery? Mylocal dealer says he has a battery rated at 22AH for a very good price, would this be powerful enough provided CCA as you say is high enough
I'm away from home and resources, but I think I'd be looking at a minimum of ~250CCA. Most of the recommended batteries are over 300,including the one KH recommended. 

Bill

Cheers Bill Which Battery 112350

    

14Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Re: Which Battery on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:30 am

Johnny kidd

Johnny kidd
active member
active member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:When my K1100LT battery failed up in Westport on a Friday of a bank holiday weekend I was devastated.

A visit to a lawnmower shop produced an identical dimension battery for €50 which served me perfectly. Was 21Ah as far as I recall. Its still going.

KH has you covered there.
Sound Olaf thats good to hear, from the replies I have gotten so far Im assuming AH is the key as what was powering the bike was woefully inadequate like my front tyre ! I Have a good front tyre just need to fit it.  Cheers for replies lads its a work in progress Surprised--o:

    

15Back to top Go down   Which Battery Empty Enough Power? on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:46 am

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Gold member
Gold member
I'd be wary of your starter motor if that 11Ah battery has been used a lot.

I stuffed a starter motor on my car (Nissan Pintara 450,000 kms and still going strong when sold) because the battery was dying. Starting the car was a fingers crossed episode. When on trip to country Victoria the starter motor went. The auto electrician said that failing to supply enough power to the starter motor can burn them out (brushes I guess - it was a very blackened item when removed at the side of the road).

Hopefully all is well with yours ... but just in case.

My battery is a Motobatt 21amp $160 MB51814. Has two years warranty. However, I either have an underperforming alternator or a leak somewhere. I have had to recharge it a few times. they are on ebay for around $140 plus.


Make sure if you use a C-Tek trickle charger to use the car setting (read the manual for 14.4 Ah or higher). Otherwise you are not charging the battery properly. 
And don't leave it in the back seat of the car with the dog - mine is kaput at the moment.


Regards


GF

    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum