BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Thu May 19, 2016 11:17 am

JAFMTL

Just wanted to share a bit of a success story...
So I recently picked up a 1987 k100 that had been sitting around for about 4 years. We have real issues in North America with Ethanol in our gas. Not sure if this is what specifically causes everything to corrode but…what a freaking mess! After cleaning out the big clumps of what looked and felt like sand – I then vacuumed the inside which took out a big part of the “bits”. However there was still stuff stuck in places I couldn’t reach and I didn’t want to put my new fuel pump into anything less than pristine. After trolling the forums – one note caught my eye. Using OXICLEAN to remove Gas Varnish. All this to say I tried it and MAN did it do a GREAT job! The tank looks like NEW!
Steps: 1. Cleaned big chunks as well as I could 2. Vacuumed bits that were reachable 3. Filled pail with hottest water possible – added generous amount of OXICLEAN (actually a no name brand) stirred it up until completely dissolved. 4. Filled the tank to the top (blocking any leaks from hose lines) and let it sit for 12 hours.

Results… like NEW!

Cheers

Not a lime and calcium remover. Used in laundry - to get stains out. 

Preen OxyAction, available in any store around Australia.

Last edited by JAFMTL on Fri May 20, 2016 7:32 am; edited 3 times in total

2Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Fri May 20, 2016 1:22 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the info.

Oxyclean...do you mean a product similar to the calcium, lime, rust removers?

Remember Rule No. 6

3Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Fri May 20, 2016 4:34 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
possibly overthinking it Blakey

how about

Preen OxyAction, available in any store around Australia.
It comes in a 375ml spray bottle ($4.89 - Coles).

Vanish Preen pre-treat range for convenient and easy spot stain removal.

VANISH PREEN OXI ACTION TRIGGER
Use Vanish Preen Oxi Action for tough set-in stains. Use Vanish Preen Oxi Action on stains such as dirt, grass, coffee, tea, juice and red wine. Vanish Preen Oxi Action gives you the power of active oxygen at your fingertips. Stains will start to disappear right before your eyes. Also available in Refills.

something like this ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

4Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Fri May 20, 2016 5:08 am

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
May only be available in Canada. But so far I don't know what oxyclean is, other then a powder put in hot water.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Fri May 20, 2016 5:27 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
This is from wikipedia...

One of the active ingredients in OxiClean is sodium percarbonate (Na2CO3•H2O2), an adduct of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). This breaks down into hydrogen peroxide when dissolved in water.

There has to be a similar product in other countries.

Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

6Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Fri May 20, 2016 5:43 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP

Homebrand Laundry Soaker & Inwash Booster
1kg

main ingredient is sodium percarbonate                      

so many bands for so little difference  
cheap as chips

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

7Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Fri May 20, 2016 5:45 am

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
You're on to it Kaptain, Sodium Percarbonate is either PH up or PH down in the pool shops. Good stuff, made it sound like nappysan by the OP's post,

Thanks Charlie it is a derivative of nappysan nappy soak.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

8Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:17 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Tom and I tried this out in a tank off my recent purchase, that was gunked up with old fuel and a pump vibe damper that had gone to jello and had coated the insides.
Used the DiSan soaker from Aldi in the purple label. Its a lot stronger than the regular stuff. We used about 250g in about 5 lit of hot water. Soaked it overnight twice and gave it a good rinse out and she's come up like new. Works a treat! cheers Yay.

9Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:41 am

duck

Life time member
Life time member
Ethanol itself does not cause issues.  What it does though, over time, is attract water from the ambient air and that is what causes the aluminum to corrode and the fuel pump mounting rubber to turn to mush.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
93 K1100RS
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

10Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 pm

swamp2

Ok, this looked like a relatively current discussion on the "tank cleaning" topic.  I'm trying to resurrect a '90 K100LT that was sitting for several years.  Not bad shape overall, only 16.3 k miles, but first thing I noticed after sticking a battery in and cranking was - no fuel pump noise.  Verified voltage on the fuel pump connector while cranking.  Well took the filler cap off and guess what... all hoses, rubber etc was pretty much decomposed to goo.  So I went ahead and ordered the "replace everything in the fuel tank kit" from EuroMotoElectrics (pretty fair price I thought...).  Anyway, dumped all the decade old gas out (boy, that smelled great!) and now have to clean it.  

So, are folks still good with this OxyClean treatment?  Will it attack anything (only concerned about the fuel gauge sender)?  There's a lot of scudge (rubber goo and ancient gas hard sludge) in here I don't know how I'll get out otherwise...

Thanks,
Steve

11Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
Vinegar, acetone, OxyClean, et al.—people have been satisfied with any of them, apparently. Just don't use a vacuum cleaner to suck debris from a fuel tank. The motor can ignite fumes and make things untidy.

12Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:50 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Steve. I've used Oxy cleaner with good success and I removed everything from the tank including the sender and blocked the holes. Find the strongest Oxy cleaner with a high concentration of sodium percarbonate. The products you find in the supermarket vary but something around 350g/kg concentration. I used 250g of cleaner (about a cup) in half a bucket of hot water. Pour it in and give it a good slosh every hour or so and leave it over night. Repeat if necessary. I had to give mine a second treatment and a bit of a scrub inside to get the stubborn lumps out.
Rinse really well.

The sender will probably need special attention as it's a little delicate. I had to replace mine. Best to replace the O-ring for the sender as well.

With the tank in that sort of condition it'd be a good bet that the injectors need a clean as well.

13Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:14 pm

swamp2

Well, I took this thread as a call to action... the tank is filled with some OxyClean clone from the dollar store, we'll see what happens.  I filled the tank all the way (hey, why not?) - left the sender in as it was covered in crud so figured it wouldn't hurt...  Anyway will leave it in overnight, and probably repeat the treatment.  The stuff I bought doesn't state the concentration, but does list sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate as ingredients.  Will report back...

Steve

14Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:25 pm

GF Wollongong

Silver member
Silver member
Bat's piss works. 

Burned a hole through the bonnet of my car. 

Use sparingly and store in a glass bottle

15Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 pm

swamp2

Should'a tried that... oxyclean technique has been working ok, but not without a lot of scrubbing and chipping of soldified gunge...

I'm a bit PO'd at the project at the moment... EVERYTHING inside the gas tank needed replacement (pump, filters, screens, hoses, damper, etc) and now I found the sender is knackered - having a hard time finding a serviceable replacement so that will be another $200+ assuming I'll have to shell out for a new one.  Grrrr....

Better to buy a good runner I guess.  Hopefully this will be the end of the expensive problems.

16Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Carb and throttle body cleaner will make a lot of it easier but I just finished cleaning 2 tanks and they were a long process.

17Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
@swamp2 wrote:Should'a tried that... oxyclean technique has been working ok, but not without a lot of scrubbing and chipping of soldified gunge...
That doesn't surprise me. I used 250g of the strong Oxycleaner in half a bucket (5 litres) of hot water. In your post above you said you filled the tank right up (about 20 litres) with water and used the cheap Oxy cleaner. For a full tank using the lower concentrated Oxycleaner you'd need to put in about 1.5 to 2 kilos of the stuff. I think you've ended up with a weak solution of Oxy that's done bugger all to remove the crap from your tank.

My guess also is that if the sender wasn't cactus to start with, the Oxycleaner probably finished it off.

18Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:33 am

swamp2

@Holister wrote:
@swamp2 wrote:Should'a tried that... oxyclean technique has been working ok, but not without a lot of scrubbing and chipping of soldified gunge...
That doesn't surprise me. I used 250g of the strong Oxycleaner in half a bucket (5 litres) of hot water. In your post above you said you filled the tank right up (about 20 litres) with water and used the cheap Oxy cleaner. For a full tank using the lower concentrated Oxycleaner you'd need to put in about 1.5 to 2 kilos of the stuff. I think you've ended up with a weak solution of Oxy that's done bugger all to remove the crap from your tank.

My guess also is that if the sender wasn't cactus to start with, the Oxycleaner probably finished it off.
Yes, you're likely correct on both points.  I've done the overnight soak a few times now with progressively stronger solutions, and it's now pretty good.  I was naively expecting it to be spotless after 1 or 2 soaks.  And the sender was so corroded and gooped up, the wires are rotted off/disconnected etc - that there probably was never any hope for it.

I guess I'm just very annoyed I can't find a serviceable used sender and am going to end up spending over $400 on parts INSIDE THE GAS TANK, and I don't know what else I'll find trying to bring this LT back to life. BMW gets no kudos from me on this part of the K bike design!

19Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:38 pm

club_c

Life time member
Life time member
swamp, you may want to send an email to beemerboneyard and have them put you on their list.  Seems like they sell a used one for $70 when they have one.  You can afford to wait, it'll run without the sender unit for now.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

20Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 pm

swamp2

@club_c wrote:swamp, you may want to send an email to beemerboneyard and have them put you on their list.  Seems like they sell a used one for $70 when they have one.  You can afford to wait, it'll run without the sender unit for now.
Yeah, I did check with them (and a bunch of other places...) and currently they don't have one.  Problem is the wires that go from the outside harness to the fuel pump have broken/rotted off at the sender so I'll have to concoct some leak free connection if I want to put the crap sender back in.  Think I might just put the project aside for a while and see what comes up - I have other bikes to use...

21Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:04 pm

yamaguzzi

@swamp2 wrote:Ok, this looked like a relatively current discussion on the "tank cleaning" topic.  I'm trying to resurrect a '90 K100LT that was sitting for several years.  Not bad shape overall, only 16.3 k miles, but first thing I noticed after sticking a battery in and cranking was - no fuel pump noise.  Verified voltage on the fuel pump connector while cranking.  Well took the filler cap off and guess what... all hoses, rubber etc was pretty much decomposed to goo.  So I went ahead and ordered the "replace everything in the fuel tank kit" from EuroMotoElectrics (pretty fair price I thought...).  Anyway, dumped all the decade old gas out (boy, that smelled great!) and now have to clean it.  

So, are folks still good with this OxyClean treatment?  Will it attack anything (only concerned about the fuel gauge sender)?  There's a lot of scudge (rubber goo and ancient gas hard sludge) in here I don't know how I'll get out otherwise...

Thanks,
Steve
I just did my tank using a phosphoric acid solution.There are lots of them out there that can be had from your local hardware store.Concrete cleaners ,truck wash,metal etching solution for auto body work all have this in it.I cleaned mine out with Kerosene first then washed it with Mr Clean. It came sort of clean but there was that rust colored film.I put in about a half qt.of this truck wash stuff ,sloshed it around, used a small paint brush to work it some and in under 5 minutes my tank looked like brand new and this stuff is gentile enough not to hurt the paint.I dumped it out into a container for future use then washed out the tank with the hose. Here is the result.

https://facebkfugitive.blogspot.com/

22Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
@swamp2 wrote:Yeah, I did check with them (and a bunch of other places...) and currently they don't have one.
You contacted this outfit about their sender and it wasn't in stock?

23Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:26 pm

swamp2

@Laitch wrote:
@swamp2 wrote:Yeah, I did check with them (and a bunch of other places...) and currently they don't have one.
Their website said it was out of stock (since they sell used stuff presumably from breaking bikes...) but you could register your email address with them to let you know when they had one available...no clue how long that could take...

24Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
@swamp2 wrote:
@Laitch wrote:
Their website said it was out of stock (since they sell used stuff presumably from breaking bikes...) but you could register your email address with them to let you know when they had one available...no clue how long that could take...
If you click on the words "this outfit about their sender" in my previous post, swamp2, it should take you to a vendor that is selling them.

25Back to top Go down    Re: Varnish removal from Gas Tank on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:09 pm

swamp2

@Laitch wrote:
@swamp2 wrote:
@Laitch wrote:
If you click on the words "this outfit about their sender" in my previous post, swamp2, it should take you to a vendor that is selling them.
Oh, sorry didn't catch that... yeah, I just got my "replace every thing else in the fuel tank" kit from them.  I was just not too thrilled to drop another couple hundred and was hoping to save some bucks by finding a good used one somewhere...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum