BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Forward footpegs & Back/Wide bars Empty Forward footpegs & Back/Wide bars Fri May 27, 2016 2:33 am

FatRakoon

FatRakoon
I have a 1983 K100RS that I have or am in the process of converting to a trike.

The trike converrsion is done, the entire back end is now finished and I have yet to sort the front end out, and move the footpegs forward.

I have to move the footpegs forward about a foot or so. The actual distance is not too important, but the position they are in, is simply not possible for my legs to be able to use them. ( Im disabled - hence the need to trike it ) my knees simply dont bend enough.

Is there a kit or anything similar that will allow me to do this, or does it need to be a custom job?

If custom, then can anyone offer me any idea on how best to approach the job?

As for the handlebars, I am currently stuck with the useless RS bars and for a trike, the only advantage they give me, is a huge workout every time I try to use the trike, and so I am in the need of bars that will allow me to sit in a more upright position, and get a bit of extra leverage and so the bars are not a worry, I can get any number of ideas on that, but the issue I am facing, is really the cables etc... I need to find some cables to help me extend the bars.

Again, any suggestions on this?

The wiring can be done in a horrid and cheesy way of simply snipping and soldering ( or crimping ) a small length of wire to accomodate the extra few inches that the bars will need, but the clutch, choke, throttle cables etc, now they are different.
I had thought of just getting hold of the RT cables, but how much extra does this give me? Would it just be worth sourcing entirely new cables from somewhere? where?

Any ideas on any of this, would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance!

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
On the bars I would suggest first trying RT/LT bars. That will be the easiest (and probably least expensive) route.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
rt lt cables should be easy to find from, all the usual places.
youll probably need the slightly longer intermediate hydraulic line from master cylinder to top of forks as well

have you looked at any of the rearset variations for brake and gearchange ...there may be a solution to getting the pegs further forward   but at about a foot in front gets you in an awkward place as far as mounting points ..

perhaps you could mount a small subframe around the motor for this ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
If you're up in Colwyn Bay, do you know any of the Conwy & District MCC? They're a decent bunch and eyes on the ground may produce some good ideas for the forward sets.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

5Back to top Go down   Forward footpegs & Back/Wide bars Empty Re: Forward footpegs & Back/Wide bars Fri May 27, 2016 10:18 pm

FatRakoon

FatRakoon
Yes, the RT option is by far the cheapest way to do it.

I am almost definitely going to have to go this route, not only because it will be the easiest and cheapest, but because I wont need any custom cabling will I - just stock RT stuff!

Conwy MCC?

No, but I do often go to the Whistlestop and I have not had the chance to go for quite a while now because I have been in and out of hospital with the latest round of operations on my leg and bum.

I will definitely ask them there for some info on it for sure.

Cheers guys.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum