BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Throttle cable on Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:32 pm

smoll1

Silver member
Silver member
Hi all

I have a 1987 k100rs 8v with k100rs 16v handlebars fitted. I'm having problem with the throttle cable having too much free play. I purchased an adjuster from motor works as the cable did not have one fitted at all to fit at handlebars but cannot get it to fit.

I have read a lot of the recalls etc on the forum and the net and appear to be going round in circles.

Does anyone think I will have to use a k100rs 16v cable?

The other thing is the throttle cable support at the throttle bodies would this need changing?

Has anyone else done this swap?

Hope someone else can help Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks

From smoll

2Back to top Go down    Re: Throttle cable on Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:59 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
If you have only changed the handlebars the cable should be OK but if you have all the 16v controls then you need the 16v cable.

3Back to top Go down    Re: Throttle cable on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:42 pm

brickrider2

Silver member
Silver member
I own a 1985 K100RS with a K1100 handlebar, as I wanted the increased leverage of the wider bar on that heavy beast. I fitted a new throttle cable for a K100RS; no issues at all.

4Back to top Go down    Throttle cable on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:32 am

smoll1

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for reply. I thought that might be the case . I'm wondering whether the bracket that holds the cable at bottom end might be the wrong one maybe it was one of the old ones before the recall for the cable change was introduced. I might buy complete set up fromy local dealer.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Throttle cable on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:10 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
I've identified at least three different types of cable mount on the throttlebodies. There's an obvious one in that some throttlebodies (1100 only? - don't know) have a half-circle where the cable fits. Most K100s seem to have a quarter-circle there, so if you have a cable for the half-circle type it will be far too long for the quarter-circle type (hope that made sense). In addition, the locator where the bottom end of the cable sits can be either 6mm in diameter or 10mm in diameter. I found that one yesterday after I'd made a throttle cable for Brick 2; it was perfect in the throttlebodies on the bench but would not fit on the bike. I had to remove the entire airbox/plenum chamber assembly before that problem revealed itself. Not pleased. Mad

My guess is that you've been sold the 'long' throttle cable when you need the 'short' one.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

6Back to top Go down    Throttle cable on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:28 am

smoll1

Silver member
Silver member
Yes I had the original cable support which was about 6mm and the other support which I have now fitted is 10mm and the cable is bit loose now. Should I have the 6mm one.

7Back to top Go down    Re: Throttle cable on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:30 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
That sounds like it could be your problem. A (not so easy) way to check is to kneel down on the leftside of the bike and take a look up under the plenum chamber to where the cable locates. If it isn't sitting in there correctly (i.e. it may have slid through) then you've definately identified your problem. Swapping the cable supports isn't difficult (read: I know because I've just done it Very Happy ) - you don't even need to disconnect the throttle cable from the quadrant.

Remove the airbox and filter
Lift the throttle cable out of the cable support
With a reasonably long screwdriver, undo the two Philips screws holding the cable support on. Push hard against them when turning the screwdriver
Replace it with the correct one
Drop the throttle cable back into place
Replace the airbox.

Time required: if the screws don't play you up then about 20-40 minutes.

8Back to top Go down    Throttle cable on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:59 am

smoll1

Silver member
Silver member
What's the part number of the support I would need?😃😃

9Back to top Go down    Re: Throttle cable on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
OEM don't show it as a separate part. Can anyone else help? Alternatively, a picture of the current cable support and that end of the throttle cable would be a great help before you go any further.

10Back to top Go down    Throttle cable on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:00 pm

smoll1

Silver member
Silver member
That would be great. I have made a temporary fix for
now to get it working. But needs to be put right. Hopefully then I can order all bits and put them on as had right hassle get air box etc out of the way. At least the screws on support were not rusted solid. I think the cable support I used was off an early bike say 84 hence the 10mm hole where cable fits engine side. Thanks all help so far. Very Happy Very Happy

11Back to top Go down    Throttle cable on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:43 pm

smoll1

Silver member
Silver member
Am going to be dealer to see what parts on fiche try work out what I need. It works but idling bit high due to cable not being able to hit stop. I will let everyone know how it goes. Very Happy

12Back to top Go down    Re: Throttle cable on Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Trywww.realoem.com
Enter the last 7 digits of your VIN and you can search all parts for your model. This is all your dealer will do. Then you can order parts from an independent supplier at much cheaper cost.

I had this problem with my K100. Found Ihad the wrong adjuster part at the handlebar and the cable was slightly tensioned more than it should've. I just cut it down a few mm. The cable adjusting screw at the TBs then came down to the stop and she idled at the correct rpm.

Another thing to consider is how the bevel gear on the twist grip is set up. There is an alignment mark on each gear. If you have it positioned a tooth or two out you will need more cable at the handlebar which will pull on the TBs. If this is the case, firstly it will be hard to get the cable into the handlebar mechanism and secondly it will increase idle rpm. There will be a slight gap at the throttle stop down on the TBs.

Another consideration is whether your choke cable is releasing properly when shut off. This doesn'tfunction like a normal choke but is simpley a fast idle setting.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

13Back to top Go down    Throttle cable on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:39 pm

smoll1

Silver member
Silver member
Hi all

Finally went to BMW dealer.

These are part no. he gave me.

Cable 32731457377
Bush 32731457017
Adjuster 32731457101
Hex nut 32731236644
Holder 13541461136

Does this seem right for anyone who has done this before?
Where does the adjuster part go?

Speaking to dealer did not give much information.

Thanks 😃

14Back to top Go down    Re: Throttle cable on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:45 pm

Inge K.

VIP
VIP
@smoll1 wrote:Where does the adjuster part go?

Bush,adjuster and nut should all be mounted at the upper end of the cable.

15Back to top Go down    Throttle cable on Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:29 pm

smoll1

Silver member
Silver member
Ah I see. I will order from Motorworks or bins as dealer is more expensive. Thanks for heads up.😃😃

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum