BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100LT non-starter Empty K100LT non-starter Mon May 17, 2010 6:05 pm

SRD

1992 K100LT still won't start. The fuel pump runs, but no sign of life at the starter. However, the starter turns if a direct live feed is applied. Gear position switch and clutch lever switch are working OK. (Fuel pump runs / does not run, as expected).

The bike's just had a new battery and I've replaced the starter relay, (diagnosed faulty by the RAC, but made no difference).

The black and yellow wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay provides a live feed OK, but the brown and red wire from the starter relay to pin 11 of the ignition control unit does not carry any current. A continuity test shows no break in the wire. The brown wire from pin 1 on the ICU also carries no current.

So far last week; Wednesday night, the bike starts first time, runs for about 5 minutes, then cuts out abruptly. Will not restart, (fuel pump runs when in neutral or in gear with clutch pulled in, but not when in gear and clutch out).

Thursday night, bike will not start, fuel pump as above.

Friday night, bike starts first time, runs for about a minute, then cuts out abruptly and will not restart. Fuel pump as above.

Today, bike will not start. Fuel pump as above.

Anyone come across something similar? Suggestions appreciated.

Simon

2Back to top Go down   K100LT non-starter Empty Re: K100LT non-starter Mon May 17, 2010 7:23 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Simon and welcome and you don't have a side stand switch by any chance?

3Back to top Go down   K100LT non-starter Empty Re: K100LT non-starter Mon May 17, 2010 7:45 pm

SRD

Hi Phil,

No, I don't have a side stand switch. The fuel pump runs whether the side stand is up or down.

4Back to top Go down   K100LT non-starter Empty Re: K100LT non-starter Mon May 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I would start by checking the ignition switch. It seems to be a bad connection somewhere, and I personally test the switch with an ohmmeter or voltmeter.
If the bike is not running, try to move the ignition switch wires and see the result.

Bert

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum