BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Long time away - Long post on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:16 pm

George R

Hi all - Sorry its been a long time since I posted mainly due to illness but got back to firing on all cylinders last month. The problem as it originally surfaced was the motor would usually start then about 15 miles later it would cut out and refuse to start for about 10 minutes. This procedure would continue over the whole journey. Iown another K75 and on the advice of Forum members, (thanks everyone)switched over everything remotely connected with the ignition and fuel system but the problem continued. From forum members I noted that they thought that the power wires to/from the ignition switch were not working, soI reasoned that the power was not reaching the ignition switch harnessbefore its multiplug. I thought that there may be more than a single wire damagedin the wiring harness so obtained another, then stripped out the old one.I cut the grey wire covering back about 15 inchesfrom the switch multiplug. This was about the location of the frame earth. This wireruns from the ignition switchto the fuse box (Permanent Live)and I found italmost totally severed at this point. So it would appear that the wire was making intermittent contact butless and less current passing through and possibly heating up as well.Other cables were stuck together in the loom.Could have had a dead short or a fire there!!
Anyway eventually got all the bits found (where they had been discarded!) and fitted. After a couple of false starts she fired up and ran well. To date, after four trips totalling 1800 miles without a hiccup, I hope this will be a result.

I think this might be one of the most improbable faults on a Brick but I feel that it cannot be discounted when you are dealing with a 20 plusyears old wiring harness !!

Anyway glad to be back with some good news and no doubt I will be trying to get help from your collective knowledge in the future.

George

2Back to top Go down    Re: Long time away - Long post on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:16 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Good to hear George, one more success story. Well found

3Back to top Go down    Re: Long time away - Long post on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:53 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Good catch. There's enough bits sitting in that area to put pressure on the loom if it's not seated 'just so'. It's rare to get that type of pressure-induced failure but I have seen a very few on different bikes over the last thirty years.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

4Back to top Go down    Re: Long time away - Long post on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:01 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
George

Its good that you are back and I hope all will be well with you.

Health is a scary thing and does need looking after.

Maybe now we will see more of you and maybe a few well earned travels for you??

Olaf

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum