BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   towbars on outfits Empty towbars on outfits Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:59 am

Packo

Packo
Silver member
Silver member
When setting up a towbar to tow a trailer behind an outfit should the tow bar be located so the right hand side wheel of the trailer be in line with the bike wheels (in Aust) or should it be so the trailer sits midway between the bike and the chair.

83 K100 HRD Outfit
1992 K1100 Outfit
2003 R1150 GSA Outfit
1983 K100 Basic

2Back to top Go down   towbars on outfits Empty Re: towbars on outfits Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
sounds like you are needing more luggage space Mike . 
Al has been down the track a few times with his outfit and trailer , I'm guessing he will be the best to ask .

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
towbars on outfits 10_x_110

3Back to top Go down   towbars on outfits Empty Re: towbars on outfits Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:09 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
The way legislation is worded, the towbar should be attached to the bike and have a compliance plate attached(as do all towbars).  But of course that means a very wide vehicle in the end.  Any towbar I've had has been mounted in the same line as the inside (right side) sidecar Chassis rail and nothing has ever been said by rego people, police etc. Some of my towbars ahve been commercial (custom built) and some self built because you cant buy one of the shelf anyway. My trailer sits completely inside the outer extremities of the bike/sidecar using roughly 2 wheels tracks plus a bit.

Not quite the middle but fairly close.   In theory this means extra weight pulling the outfit to the left as the weight of the trailer pulls the chair back.  In practice you don't notice any steering difference whether you have a trailer behind you or not. 

Pretty well every sidecar towbar I've seen has been in line with the right edge of the sidecar also.

Ask away

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

towbars on outfits K-dogs10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum