BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Battery isolation switch Empty Battery isolation switch Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:37 pm

pond snail

pond snail
Hello all,

I have a battery isolator switch to fit to my K75 basic, I think its rated at 300 amps, you turn a knob and a cam/spring allows the terminal connecting plate to lift away from the two terminals.

Its not too big, should be able to fit it somewhere around the right hand side of the battery area.

My question, I seem to recall reading somewhere, it was specific to K bikes, to isolate the negative battery terminal, would this be correct?,

Thanks in advance,

John

2Back to top Go down   Battery isolation switch Empty Re: Battery isolation switch Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It's not specific to Ks, you should always isolate the ground not the positive.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Battery isolation switch Empty Re: Battery isolation switch Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:29 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
And it will also cut power to the clock in the instrument cluster.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Battery isolation switch Empty Re: Battery isolation switch Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:11 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
duck wrote:And it will also cut power to the clock in the instrument cluster.
You are right duck.

I have a similar switch on my bikes (only rated for 30 amps and installed on the ground) and the clock is the most annoying problem.

If this annoys you too much, you could always run a separate wire in the instrument cluster and permanently ground your clock directly to the negative of the battery.
Warning:
If you go this route, you must cut the original common ground wire/trace going the clock otherwise if you start the bike with the additional ground switch turned off, all the powered equipment will get the ground from the instrument cluster/clock and you may see the speedo Battery isolation switch Vil-fuumeand indicating 800km/h. You will have to call the Battery isolation switch Fire-c11

The ability to switch the ground off has a big advantage that if you ever have a welded starter relay you will be able to turn the power off.

5Back to top Go down   Battery isolation switch Empty Re: Battery isolation switch Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:58 pm

pond snail

pond snail
Thank you for the replies,

I did think about the clock, very good advice on the separate earthing for the clock!!, for now I will just re adjust each time and see how that goes once I have the K75 back on the road, am nearly there!....

The switch is rated at 300 amps, which does seem a bit extreme, but hopefully will be well up to the job, the possibility of a welded starter relay is the main factor for fitting the battery isolation switch.

Its the smallest switch I could find, here is an ebay link, in case anyone is interested,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300A-Battery-Isolator-Disconnect-Power-Cut-Off-Kill-Switch-Boat-Car-Van-Truck-/311478926947?hash=item4885973e63:g:BkAAAOSwT5tWOlOz

Fits in nicely on the right hand side, just in front of the radiator expansion tank, will post a photo when its installed.

John

Last edited by pond snail on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added information)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum