BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Exhaust help Empty Exhaust help Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:05 am

Baur TC

Baur TC
Three weeks ago I purchased a 1985 K100 and I have logged about 8 or 900 miles on it, on my long highway trip the baffle and tip on the aftermarket blew out at 90 mph and since it was 3am I didn't stop and pick it up....  ( DUH ) so I ran the highway for 30 more minutes with a streight megaphone pipe wooo hoo, my hearing might never get back to normal.
 The exhaust system is perhaps a Luftmeister or maybe a Mac.... or who knows what, so here's my delima I don't have a tip nor baffle so what do I do?
 Here are the pipe dimensions.

At the 4 into one collector the diameter ( O/D ) is roughly 3 inches or 75mm 
 From the collector to the end of the pipe ( Exit end ) is 24 inches
The Megaphone end is 4 inches in diameter.

What are my repair options, I have searched baffles and tips and I cant seem to find anything that matches. 

Will post pics tomorrow

2Back to top Go down   Exhaust help Empty Re: Exhaust help Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:27 am

kennybob

kennybob
Silver member
Silver member
i had a luftshister on a bike years ago--it was annoyingly loud even with the baffle and tip in place.  Always backfired on overrun and fuel mileage was in the 30's mpg. 

i found a nice slightly used OEM system, headers and pipe, and put it back stock--wonderful quiet, pulls stronger with linear torque, no more popping and mileage went up to over 50 mpg.  Best unmod ever.

3Back to top Go down   Exhaust help Empty Re: Exhaust help Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:55 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
kennybob's right - no aftermarket manufacturer has really beaten the OEM exhaust system except in the noise stakes.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

4Back to top Go down   Exhaust help Empty Re: Exhaust help Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am

Roland5

Roland5
Baur TC wrote:Three weeks ago I purchased a 1985 K100 and I have logged about 8 or 900 miles on it, on my long highway trip the baffle and tip on the aftermarket blew out at 90 mph and since it was 3am I didn't stop and pick it up....  ( DUH ) so I ran the highway for 30 more minutes with a streight megaphone pipe wooo hoo, my hearing might never get back to normal.
 The exhaust system is perhaps a Luftmeister or maybe a Mac.... or who knows what, so here's my delima I don't have a tip nor baffle so what do I do?
 Here are the pipe dimensions.

At the 4 into one collector the diameter ( O/D ) is roughly 3 inches or 75mm 
 From the collector to the end of the pipe ( Exit end ) is 24 inches
The Megaphone end is 4 inches in diameter.

What are my repair options, I have searched baffles and tips and I cant seem to find anything that matches. 

Will post pics tomorrow

We have a place here in Little Rock (AR) that does high temp coatings so I shaved off the heat shield supports on my OEM exhaust and had it coated.  It looks great.  I've got a spare OEM exhaust (I think I have two actually...), if you're interested in going back to stock send me a message and we can discuss.

5Back to top Go down   Exhaust help Empty Re: Exhaust help Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:59 am

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rola... or should I say...HI ROLAND5!! Exhaust help 8157.

If you have 75mm (3in) outlet on the collector you could fit an aftermarket can/silence on the end.

I just picked up a Remus one with 75mm inlet it came off a k100 on a local wantads site. The only bit you'd have to figure is attaching it to the footpeg/mount with a silence P clip or such.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

6Back to top Go down   Exhaust help Empty Re: Exhaust help Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:34 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Exhaust help Imag0810

Get one of these from Malcolm in En Zed (New Zealand) and with some luck you can locate the much more common 50mm (2") inlet can from the likes of Delkevic US, Two Bros, Dominator (excellent pipes cheap from Poland) etc. Malcolm may accommodate a request for the upswing of his collector of you need a stock sweep due to use of panniers, for example.

Exhaust help Img_2010
Here's the 330mm long (13") Delkevic I'm using.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum