BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
Hello all,

Since my last post I ended up having a high side on one of my k100Rs (at 80mph) and sold the other that was crashed.

Now this topic is about the one I sold. I purchased it two years ago and it got stolen then I managed to buy it back. I tried to get it running but had no luck. For some reason no matter what I tried I couldn't find the solution. Apparently though the guy that purchased it off me has got it running engine video included.

This is how it was found..

And how it looks now on the right.

Now hopefully you have stayed with me, I have been offered this back for the pricey sum of £550. I'd be turning it into a rat bike but I'm not sure if it's worth the money. I know it needs front wheel, indicators, mirrors and seat modifying.

I'm just after advice here would you gamble on it knowing that it was stolen and there could be other problems lingering underneath?

Shay if you are on here I need confirmation sorry.

Lexmoto (first bike ever to ride) , CB125 TDC 86 , CG125 89 , GN125 97 , ER5 96 , K100 RS 84

84/01 K100rs 0013627

Snod Blatter

Platinum member
Platinum member
Depends how good/thorough the other guy's fixing is. If the wiring's all stuck together with tape then leave it, if it's been done all proper like (i.e. totally replaced) then it could be a good 'un. Looks like a laugh for £550, I'd be tempted if it didn't look overly bodged inside.

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
Snod Blatter wrote:Depends how good/thorough the other guy's fixing is. If the wiring's all stuck together with tape then leave it, if it's been done all proper like (i.e. totally replaced) then it could be a good 'un. Looks like a laugh for £550, I'd be tempted if it didn't look overly bodged inside.

To be honest it was a really good second hand loom that I purchased from ebay that was from an apparent running bike at the time. Yeah don't think that seller was honest. The problem that stopped it from starting was a dead fuel pump in the new tank and an earth had come loose apparently.

I've messaged the seller to see if we can come to an agreement he is a good guy that knows his k's well. Did you end up getting rid of the one you were on about last year?

Lexmoto (first bike ever to ride) , CB125 TDC 86 , CG125 89 , GN125 97 , ER5 96 , K100 RS 84

84/01 K100rs 0013627

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I would go along with that! The key will be the wiring.

More important is an 80mph high side and you are back here!!!

Snod Blatter

Platinum member
Platinum member
TheJoker wrote:Did you end up getting rid of the one you were on about last year?
Still got it, I suck at selling bikes Laughing

At least I haven't bought any more though, right??

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Have a good hard look at it and just get a general "feel" of the bike.

Look closely and see what it really needs and do a couple of quick calculations in your head. I would assume that you have an idea of the cost of replacement parts.

What would I do? If the price were a bit lower (knowing where it's been and what's happened to it), I'd have a crack at it.

Remember Rule No. 6

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:I would go along with that! The key will be the wiring.

More important is an 80mph high side and you are back here!!!

Yeah the crash wasn't nice at all, it was up in Staffordshire, UK. I came around a roundabout and the road bends to the left onto a dual, I went around and the rear wheel felt like it slid out. Managed to regain that then went into a tank wobble, I know of two ways to get out of a wobble slow down (loads of cars behind no chance) or speed out. So I accelerated lost the fight bike hit the middle reservation bounced off sent me flying 50ft the bike 200ft. Ended coming off with a twisted foot luckily my bike boots saved me. Bike had mashed right hand side, fairing took the brunt and the pannier.

I was back on a bike an xj600 2 weeks later I think it was maximum 3; that was in may bank holiday.

Snod Blatter wrote:
TheJoker wrote:Did you end up getting rid of the one you were on about last year?
Still got it, I suck at selling bikes Laughing

At least I haven't bought any more though, right??

Ooh so does that mean you still have parts, interesting hello friend Twisted Evil 

Good thing you didn't replace it.

blaKey wrote:Have a good hard look at it and just get a general "feel" of the bike.

Look closely and see what it really needs and do a couple of quick calculations in your head. I would assume that you have an idea of the cost of replacement parts.

What would I do? If the price were a bit lower (knowing where it's been and what's happened to it), I'd have a crack at it.

Well it was my bike previous and I had a list of all the parts I needed to get for it but I never managed to get it running. For an extra 100 he has offered a new mudguard, front wheel, seat base as well as clocks and bracket.

Which I've decided to take him up on the offer.

This is what it looked like before it was stolen fyi, encase anyone was interested might remember it from before.

Depending on reactions I might do a thread on here, but ratting a k that has been stolen might not be to everyone's taste considering I haven't decided whether to do it matt black (looking likely) or another colour.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
You can freely rat any bike provided you don't hack up the frame, that way you are riding, and if in the future you decide a resto is in order you good bones to do it on.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
K75cster wrote:You can freely rat any bike provided you don't hack up the frame, that way you are riding, and if in the future you decide a resto is in order you good bones to do it on.

True It's tempting to chop the frame as I'm seriously tempted to put a spring saddle seat on the bike and then put some kind of home made panniers on the tail. Not sure about the saddle seat at the moment never tried one before.

Not sure if the saddle seat would even work anyway I'd have put a plate down and then the seat on top I think. Still leaves me with a chunky tail to sort out.  Either way I'll be getting it on Friday all being well.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
If you take all the plastic off the rear frame it looks a lot like a rack, so I'd copy it in half round chromed pipe and make it a proper rack for carrying anything you choose. Just me though.

Sprung saddle sounds choice.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Gaz

Life time member
Life time member
Here's a photo of a "racked up" K100 - maybe something like K75cster was suggesting.

and here's my K75 with rear rack.

Cheers

ainsjac

Life time member
Life time member
Gaz, you may have to explain how unique that seat is and where to get one.

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
Gaz80 wrote:Here's a photo of a "racked up" K100 - maybe something like K75cster was suggesting.

and here's my K75 with rear rack.

Cheers

Nice and very interesting, I'm guessing that is a police seat or I could be mistaken, seen them on motorworks for £30 upwards. The rack is an interesting idea. Not sure how it would work with my seat idea that I'm planning but who knows we will see.

I got the bike back yesterday missing a few parts; image and more information below.

Right then the person who I sold it to has removed the mudguard bolts, coils cover and tail light. Since having a look over it I've also found that the tail lighting is broken and has been cut. So I've got to try and get on the hunt for parts. The wiring is going to be annoying again as when I had the bike I labelled up everything. However the person I sold it to has removed all of the labels and most of the bullet connectors have gone.

Also found out that they have removed the switch cover on the throttle side and have messed with that even loosing the nipple that was on it even more unnecessary expense. At least it's back in my possession. Luckily I've got a new mudguard to go on as well as clocks and waiting on indicators which will go on and clear some wiring problems hopefully.

Would it be worthwhile asking on here regarding the mudguard bolts, coils cover and tail light (lense and wiring) ?

84/01 K100rs 0013627

Gaz

Life time member
Life time member
Joker you're right about the police seat, the grey K100 is a standard issue police seat.

The grey seat on my K75 is a custom made seat built for me on the base of a police seat by a guy in the home town of ainsjac, hence his comment above. Ainsjac has a seat made by that guy as well.

Cheers

TheJoker

Silver member
Silver member
Gaz wrote:Joker you're right about the police seat, the grey K100 is a standard issue police seat.

The grey seat on my K75 is a custom made seat built for me on the base of a police seat by a guy in the home town of ainsjac, hence his comment above. Ainsjac has a seat made by that guy as well.

Cheers

Nice I was tempted to get one but apparently they have a weird fitting kit that was priced up at £150 this was via motorworks when I contacted them before. To be honest I might just cut down the seat I have and re foam it, just not sure at the moment.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum