BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Antique registration on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:39 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
As Nova Scotia permits registration as an Antique for vehicle over 30 years old, I took the opportunity and applied for the 3 Ks.
Avantage: It cost only $20 a year for the registration (for each bike) and the safety inspection is valid for life.
Insurances will apply antique rates only to bikes built before 1970 Sad
This is not a big problem as the insurance cost me only (CAD)$110 a year per bike.

Today I received my plates and I am good for life.
The choice of which bike I will use will be more difficult. Twisted Evil

2Back to top Go down    Re: Antique registration on Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Two Wheels Better

Score! Any restrictions as to their use, or distance from home?

I have recently checked into what the WA state rego cost is and in many ways it's the same as Nova Scotia. One difference is that the one-time fee for number plates for a 'Collector Vehicle' is $50.75. No insurance is required (at all, unless your bank has a lien) on motorbikes in Washington State. Here are their requirements:

Collector Vehicle plates

1. Plate requirements

• You must be a WA state vehicle owner to get these plates.
  • They can only be used on the vehicle they were purchased for.
  • The plates are displayed on the rear of the vehicle. If you provide a set of restored plates, they may be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle.
  • You donít need to display month/year tabs on the plates.

2. Vehicle requirements

Vehicles with these plates:

• Must have a current registration.
  • Must be more than 30 years old.
  • Be capable of operating on the highway.
  • Be owned and operated as collector vehicles.
  • May be driven:

• To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
    • For testing purposes.
    • For the pleasure of others without compensation.

• May not be used for:

• Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.
    • Commercial purposes or to carry a load.

Note: These plates are not available for trailers.

-RESTORED VEHICLE PLATES
You can use it on your vehicle instead of a getting a Collector Vehicle plate through us. The restored plate must be from the same year that the vehicle was manufactured. The plates must be restored to their original design. You canít use reproductions.

As you can see the main issue is if you're 'caught' not attending a parade or function, the coppers could ticket you. But the fact that they allow for old style plates that you find and they're not currently attached to any registered vehicle, can be used to keep the vintage look.

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT
Two Airheads, three Bricks, an Oilhead and a trio of new K's.

3Back to top Go down    Re: Antique registration on Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:49 pm

duck

Life time member
Life time member
In WA, unless you're using the bike as a regular commuter and seen often by the same cop then they'd be hard-pressed to prove you're using the bike regularly. †

I have them and if I ever get ticketed for it I will just take all of my bike titles to court to prove that I am not using that one bike as "Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle."

Besides, if a cop really WANTS to ticket you because they don't like MCs or whatever then they can always find something to ticket you for.

I see them now and then at ferry docks on old HDs.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down    Re: Antique registration on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:53 am

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
NS restrictions:
You still have to pay $20 a year for your plate and insurance is mandatory (I would never use a vehicle without it) .

The plate authorizes the limited use of the vehicle at reduced registration fee, and exempts the vehicle from safety inspection requirements. It does not, however, permit the operation of an unsafe vehicle.
The owner of an antique vehicle who wishes to obtain antique licence plates must meet the following eligibility criteria:

• the owner must be a resident of Nova Scotia;
  • the owner must have another registered motor vehicle in his/her name;
  • the owner must provide proof of insurance, and must maintain valid insurance at all times;
  • the vehicle cannot be used for business or usual family purposes;
  • the owner is a member of an antique club, and the secretary of the club has signed the application form indicating that the vehicle has been tested for originality, running order and safety.

Note: If the owner is not a member of an antique auto club, a Certificate of Mechanical Fitness form must be completed by a certified mechanic in lieu of an antique auto club membership.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Antique registration on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:20 am

duck

Life time member
Life time member
The having another registered vehicle requirement makes sense.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

6Back to top Go down    Re: Antique registration on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:35 am

AL-58

Life time member
Life time member
In NSW its a logbook ( to be kept with the vehicle). †You can be pulled over at any time to show your logbook and it should be filled in using a pen if you are riding. Use a pencil so you can erase it at the end of the day or ride without the log filled in and you will get fined. †60 days use plus use on published club events.

Al

'87 K100RT with Paralever backend

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

7Back to top Go down    collector in BC on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:50 pm

nvboy

Silver member
Silver member
I have a "collector" plate on my bike in British Columbia, Canada. †It has to be at least 25 years old and be in excellent original condition † Rolling Eyes. †The only restriction is that you can't ride it to work or school. †That's a bit of a bummer for me as my 25 km route to work could be along a fabulous curvy country road that I ride for fun anyway. †With registration and full 12 month insurance it's only about $200/year (Canadian!) so it's a pretty good deal for me. †Other bikes pay about $1000 for the same.

Darrin "driving a cage to work" nvboy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum