BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

duck

Life time member
Life time member
I got my K100 out of storage earlier this week. It wouldn't start and I figured it was just bad gas or something so I trailered it home. This afternoon I removed the gas cap and it was much worse than I thought. It was a typical neglected K bike nightmare - dead fuel pump, vibration dampener turned to goo, etc... I'm sure there are many here who know the drill.

After a couple of hours and many paper towels, I finally got it cleaned out and replaced everything inside except for the rusted fuel level sender which, fortunately, still powers the fuel pump.

Now I have this crappy black goo "permanently" stuck to my hands. affraid (If I'd known what a mess it was going to be I would've worn gloves.)

On the bright side, once I got things sorted out, it fired right up instantly. cheers

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
93 K1100RS
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Try some orange citrus oil or a hand cleaner with orange oil in it.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

kennybob

Silver member
Silver member
mineral oil will cut goo and wax also. Good work on getting it running, hopefully no pinholes in the tank.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Hey duck, how long was it sitting in storage?

...and thanks for the "glove" tip too!

Remember Rule No. 6

duck

Life time member
Life time member
@blaKey wrote:Hey duck, how long was it sitting in storage?

...and thanks for the "glove" tip too!

It sat out in the rain under a cover for a little over a year, then went into storage. I think it was sitting out under the cover that allowed the water to get absorbed into the gas because none of my bikes that were in the garage prior to being moved to storage at the same time had such issues.

Now I have a bigger garage at my new place so don't have to leave any bikes outside.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
93 K1100RS
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum