BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Ignition switch removal on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:37 am

Bmwk1100ltrider

Good afternoon all,
I am looking for a little bit of advice.... I have a 1993 k1100lt and unfortunately due to the steering lock not working properly I find myself having to fit a replacement lock.
After consulting the manual it seemed to be a fairly simple job so I proceeded to remove the tank and managed to find the wiring for the ignition switch so disconnected it and was surprised to find I had Allen key bolts holding the old ignition switch in so I didn't need to drill them out,well I removed the bolts and the switch dropped slightly so it's all free and ready to be replaced....but then I was met with an issue...I couldn't get the switch out no matter how or what way I twisted it ...oOnconsulting the manual it simply said remove the bolts and the switch will come out allowing a new one to be slid into its place....but
I'm finding the way is blocked by the main fairing mounting bracket which on looking seems to suggest a complete top fairing strip down just so I can unbolt the bracket and move it 1/2 inch to enable me to get the old switch past and the new one back in.... Would my thoughts be correct or is there another way of doing it without taking of the complete fairing is what I would like to know.....
thank you

2Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:59 pm

duck

Life time member
Life time member
I haven't messed with one for a while but I think you can take off the upper fork tree to get the ignition switch out instead of removing the fairing.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Bmwk1100ltrider

I had given that a quick look but wasn't 100% sure that I really wanted to interfere with the top yoke as u know they can be a nuisance to get to sit right once they've been moved....but I will have another look at maybe trying that....got to be better than a complete fairing strip down that's for sure...
Very much appreciate the suggestion

4Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:37 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
If the steering is in the locked position you will need to remove the top clamp DAMHIK

5Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:44 pm

duck

Life time member
Life time member
Another thing: Even if you think the steering lock isn't working anymore, you may just need to fiddle with it for a while to get it to work. They can be sticky if never used or not used in a long time. (I once had someone tell me his K1100 didn't have a steering lock. It took me a while to prove him wrong but after several minutes of fiddling around with it I was able to get it working again without taking anything apart.)

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R

6Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:05 am

Bmwk1100ltrider

I've had her since April last year and I've tried to get the steering lock to work on a few occasions but it never has so that was one of the reasons to change the complete switch and then the fault I have now developed with it so defo time to change it.....
I am going to try removing the top fork plate to sort it but I'm always nervous interfering with the forks incase I manage to move something else out of line.... But I suppose it's worth a try rather than taking the complete fairing off

7Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 am

JGT

Gold member
Gold member
I have a copy of the BMW repair manual for the K1100 and it indicates removal without disturbing anything else. It should have shear bolts holding it not cap screws so suggests some one has all ready been at it. Would think you only need to raise the top yolk a little without removing it all the way. John

8Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:31 pm

Bmwk1100ltrider

I went through my manual and I couldn't find anything that said I needed to do anything else other than remove petrol tank and unbolt handle bars and then drill out security bolts and switch would drop straight out....so I was very surprised to find the switch held in with Allen key bolts and not enough room to drop the switch out and I even tried with the steering hard left and right but with no luck. I bought new security bolts to attach it with as well lol
I will try to get the top plate loose and just raise it enough to allow the switch to drop out and slide the new one in so I'm hoping that will allow me to get the job done..... But if I have to totally remove the top yoke plate it should t cause any issues should it? Fingers crossed

9Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:29 pm

Bmwk1100ltrider

*Update*
Today I decided to try and get the top fork plate off or st least lift it maybe 1/2 an inch to allow the ignition switch to drop out...but due to not having the correct size spanner I wasn't able to attempt it..so I decided it would have to be a top fairing strip down and move the fairing support bracket to enable me to gain the space needed....
Well after some knuckle scrapping and muttering of a few choice words I was able to remove the top fairing complete with screen and headlight still attached and then get to the fairing support bracket and unbolt it to gain the room I needed...so now I have replaced the faulty ignition switch and and I have a working steering lock too....and after another hour or two I had all electrics connected and too fairing refitted and ignition switch is working superbly and the steering lock is also working as well...RESULT! Also I was able to tidy up and remove some wiring that wasn't working anymore.
So just a quick thanks to all of you guys that gave me some very sound advice....
Thanks gentlemen

10Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:18 am

Gaz

Life time member
Life time member
Glad you found out the removal of the fairing is a bit awkward but not so scary after all and when done it allows you to have a good look around under there.

Mine has been on and off quite a number of times over the 19 years we have been together.

Cheers

11Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:17 am

duck

Life time member
Life time member
JM02 but removing the windscreen assembly isn't that big of a deal. The hardest part is disconnecting/reconnecting the wiring harness connector.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R

12Back to top Go down    Re: Ignition switch removal on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Bmwk1100ltrider

I honestly thought it was going to be a nightmare taking the top fairing off but I must say I was pleasantly surprised that it was a great deal easier then I thought it was going to be....very very big thanks for all the advice from you guys....👍

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum