BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    The good, the bad and the ugly on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:49 am

duck

Life time member
Life time member
THE GOOD: I had a couple of tail racks hanging around with a bunch of paint chips out of them. For $30 each, I had the guys at Performance Coatings refinish them in Chromex ceramic. That price includes a media blast to get all of the old paint off first and they come out looking like this. I like the ceramic stuff because it is a lot more durable than powder coating.

THE BAD: On the K1100RS I picked up for parts the other day, the rear tire is worn all of the way through the cords:

THE UGLY: I've seen some weird stuff on old beaters I've parted out but sometimes I run into total WTF stuff like this RS mirror. It's taped to the bike because somebody couldn't master the mirror clips, covered in red tape and who knows how this turn signal lens got all melted up like this,

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

2Back to top Go down    Re: The good, the bad and the ugly on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:04 pm

David Nimrod

Silver member
Silver member
@duck wrote:THE GOOD: I had a couple of tail racks hanging around with a bunch of paint chips out of them. For $30 each, I had the guys at Performance Coatings refinish them in Chromex ceramic. That price includes a media blast to get all of the old paint off first and they come out looking like this. I like the ceramic stuff because it is a lot more durable than powder coating

The rack looks fantastic... and durable too.

That particular coating is a new one on me!

3Back to top Go down    Re: The good, the bad and the ugly on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:13 pm

duck

Life time member
Life time member
It's good for engine covers too!

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down    Re: The good, the bad and the ugly on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:22 pm

David Nimrod

Silver member
Silver member
@duck wrote:It's good for engine covers too!

Now there's a thought... looking good!!

5Back to top Go down    Re: The good, the bad and the ugly on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:22 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
That Chromex stuff does look good!

At least the PO matched the duct tape on the mirror to the bike's colour. It could have been a lot worse if he used zip ties...

Remember Rule No. 6

6Back to top Go down    Re: The good, the bad and the ugly on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:59 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Oi! What's wrong with zip ties I ask?

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

7Back to top Go down    Re: The good, the bad and the ugly on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:40 am

Curley

Silver member
Silver member
The chromex stuff does look good alright!!!

Have not heard of it. Will have to investigate further

cheersWhite K100RS 1991 cheersBlue K75RT 1992 cheersGreen K75RT 1995 cheers

8Back to top Go down    Re: The good, the bad and the ugly on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:28 am

TAK100

Duct tape is amazing because of it's strength. It's like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum