BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

TAK100

Here's a quick pic of yours truly with the RT I purchased recently. I'm enjoying the bike very much and I'm glad that I bought it when I did. The bikes was just to nice to pass up for the condition, mileage and price. Although, it is feeling a bit lonely in that big old garage all by itself. A stablemate may be in it's near future. We'll just have to see what Santa brings for Christmas!

brickrider2

Silver member
Silver member
That's a beauty! I can see how it could win your heart. Allow me one question (or maybe two). Do you find the engine surges or hunts when you cruise at a steady throttle opening? That was quite an issue on the early oil head models. Secondly, I'm curious about the comment made above regarding the cure possibly being related to valve lash or end float was it? Don't recall that ever being associated with surging....
Never owned an oilhead... just curious.

TAK100

@brickrider2 wrote:That's a beauty! I can see how it could win your heart. Allow me one question (or maybe two). Do you find the engine surges or hunts when you cruise at a steady throttle opening? That was quite an issue on the early oil head models. Secondly, I'm curious about the comment made above regarding the cure possibly being related to valve lash or end float was it? Don't recall that ever being associated with surging....
Never owned an oilhead... just curious.
Thanks! I personally prefer this body style over the current offerings from BMW. The new RT looks bloated to me and somewhat resemble a Transformer robot. They may grow on me in time, but I believe the more narrow, less bloated and less "techy" look has aged more gracefully. Styling aside...I like the motor on this bike. It revs nicely and has good useable torque across the power band. My only slight niggle of a complaint is the gearing. The 6th gear truly is an OD gear. It's not useable unless you're maintaining a steady head of steam of at least 60 mph. BMW refers to it as "E" (economy) mode. Anyhoo...this bike could literally just cruise at 75-80 mph constantly, all day everyday until reaching the ends of the earth. It's a great highway bike and it just loves to be up in that higher speed range. It's very stable and predictable on the highway. I truly love that aspect about the bike. At a more reasonable highway speed, it just lumbers along happily. To be honest, it's a bike that really is harder to ride at slower speeds. I always have to be extra mindful and keep an eye on my speedo because sometimes I don't even realize how fast I'm going. It just loves to go go go! Even with a passenger aboard, it has good passing power and plenty of oomph where it's needed. Granted, on a hill or grade, I always need to drop down a gear or maybe two, depending on speed and how steep the hill is, but that's going to be true with most bikes anyway.

As far as the surging goes, I haven't noticed it that much. It was more of a problem on the R1100RT from what I've read and some of that issue was worked out when BMW went to the 1150 with twin spark in '04. There were some improvements made when BMW went from 1100 to 1150 cc also. Some R1150RT owners still experience some surging, but I just don't think it's as much of an issue as the earlier bikes. I can't say what exactly what the cause is. That said, I've been pretty lucky with my bike. Haven't had really much surging to speak of, except at very low speeds with a constant throttle speed. It happened once recently and I made a mental note of it as being the "surging issue" that I had read about. To me it wasn't much of an issue. I just adjusted my speed and it went away. My situation may be simply because of the current state of tune on my bike (throttle bodies are synced).

All in all, I'm very happy I made the purchase and have no plans of selling it. I hope to log 100k miles on it.

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Anyhoo...this bike could literally just cruise at 75-80 mph constantly, all day everyday until reaching the ends of the earth. It's a great highway bike and it just loves to be up in that higher speed range. It's very stable and predictable on the highway. I truly love that aspect about the bike. At a more reasonable highway speed, it just lumbers along happily. To be honest, it's a bike that really is harder to ride at slower speeds. I always have to be extra mindful and keep an eye on my speedo because sometimes I don't even realize how fast I'm going. It just loves to go go go! Even with a passenger aboard, it has good passing power and plenty of oomph where it's needed. Granted, on a hill or grade, I always need to drop down a gear or maybe two, depending on speed and how steep the hill is, but that's going to be true with most bikes anyway.
Sounds like you're talking about a K1100, except for the bit about being harder to ride a slower speeds. Very Happy

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

TAK100

@Holister wrote:
Anyhoo...this bike could literally just cruise at 75-80 mph constantly, all day everyday until reaching the ends of the earth. It's a great highway bike and it just loves to be up in that higher speed range. It's very stable and predictable on the highway. I truly love that aspect about the bike. At a more reasonable highway speed, it just lumbers along happily. To be honest, it's a bike that really is harder to ride at slower speeds. I always have to be extra mindful and keep an eye on my speedo because sometimes I don't even realize how fast I'm going. It just loves to go go go! Even with a passenger aboard, it has good passing power and plenty of oomph where it's needed. Granted, on a hill or grade, I always need to drop down a gear or maybe two, depending on speed and how steep the hill is, but that's going to be true with most bikes anyway.
Sounds like you're talking about a K1100, except for the bit about being harder to ride a slower speeds. Very Happy

Ha! Ha! I'm sure the K1100 is no slouch and could easily outrun my RT. The RT gearing is very different than what I'm accustomed to. Seems like I'm always looking for a higher gear to drop the RPM's because the bike higher revs higher at speeds that I feel the engine should be turning at. My Harley for example would cruise the highway at 65-70 mph at around 2,500 RPM. The RT is closer to 3,500, until I drop it in to 6th. Then it falls to just above 3,000 RPM. The thing is, that is just right below or at the very beginning of the power band. Below 65 MPH, I have to drop down in to 5th gear, then my revs are back up again. It's a constant game between 5th and 6th. 6th gear really is just an OD, so unless I'm on a flat highway ad can maintain the higher speeds, 6th gear is useless to me. That said, it loves to be in that 75-80 MPH range. I'm convinced BMW engineered this bike for the autobahn and not for US roads.

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Having done a same day trip as a straight run in under 6 hours from one end of Ireland to the other on the K100RT I have to say they just eat miles and miles in comfort. 5pm ice cream in Ballycastle, 11pm drinking tea in west Cork. Admittedly its got about 280 miles of motorway in that.

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:
What you really need to do is buy both. Sooner or later you will have a second K anyway.
....or a 3rd or even a 4th!!

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
TAK100, after a while you will acclimate to the way these bikes like to rev. The best way to do that is to take some long trips on the interstate at 85mph.

You will quickly become accustomed to the smooth hum of these engines at 6k rpm, and along with some time spent learning to ride around town in 3rd you will find yourself running down the road at 60mph in 4th gear. Took me about a year to get there, but IMO that's when you become a real Beemer rider.

And yes, Olaf, these machines are incredible at consuming miles. Last July i did an Iron Butt run of 1540 miles(Colorado to New York) in 24 hours on a K75RT. Outside of fatigue from being awake for over 26 hours at the finish it was not all that bad. Can't think of another brand of bike that would make that trip as easy.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
I went from a 1000cc boxer to a K1100, and initially was always seeking a higher gear. After getting used to it, I settled down and just enjoyed the ride. Roll on eight years and I bought an R1150RT. When I stared riding that I had to learn all over again the different engine characteristics. I kept riding one then the other trying to settle my mind on which was best, but just kept them both anyway and accepted them for what they offered!

My wife still prefers the pillion seat of the K1100LT over either the standard R1150RT seat or the Corbin seat when fitted.

Mike

TAK100

@Point-Seven-five wrote:TAK100, after a while you will acclimate to the way these bikes like to rev. The best way to do that is to take some long trips on the interstate at 85mph.

You will quickly become accustomed to the smooth hum of these engines at 6k rpm, and along with some time spent learning to ride around town in 3rd you will find yourself running down the road at 60mph in 4th gear. Took me about a year to get there, but IMO that's when you become a real Beemer rider.

And yes, Olaf, these machines are incredible at consuming miles. Last July i did an Iron Butt run of 1540 miles(Colorado to New York) in 24 hours on a K75RT. Outside of fatigue from being awake for over 26 hours at the finish it was not all that bad. Can't think of another brand of bike that would make that trip as easy.

So true. Very different indeed. After posting this I had to run an errand on the other side of the county, about 30 mins from where I live. I decided to take the bike and conduct a moto-experiment. So factoring in that my speedo is off by 5 MPH calculating my true speed, I determined that at 65 MPH in 5th gear I'm turning 3,500 RPM. 6th gear...3,000 RPM. Pretty much, no matter what speed I'm at, 6th gear only shaves off 500 RPM. So as I was saying previously the bike just loves, loves, loves to be up at those higher speeds and at 4,000 RPM it scoots along nicely at 75 MPH (6th/OD) The crazy thing is the redline is around 7,000 RPM. I usually never get anywhere close to that, except in rare cases. 5-5,500 RPM in just about any gear is more than enough juice to get me where I'm going. The bike has plenty of oomph to get me up on to the freeway and if I just pinned it every time, I'd run out of road or go flying through somebody's rear window. The bike is surprisingly quick for a little 2 cylinder.

Using my Harley as a reference, I think the max redline was about 5,500 RPM. So you can imagine my surprise and somewhat of a concern that my casually spins at 4K RPM. Whereas on my Harley, I got to really be gunning it and just wringing it out for all it's worth to hit 5,500 RPM and at that, the bike feels like it's gonna rattle apart. So yes....there is a definite learning curve with Das Bimmer.

TAK100

@mike d wrote:I went from a 1000cc boxer to a K1100, and initially was always seeking a higher gear. After getting used to it, I settled down and just enjoyed the ride. Roll on eight years and I bought an R1150RT. When I stared riding that I had to learn all over again the different engine characteristics. I kept riding one then the other trying to settle my mind on which was best, but just kept them both anyway and accepted them for what they offered!

My wife still prefers the pillion seat of the K1100LT over either the standard R1150RT seat or the Corbin seat when fitted.

Mike
You're right about the K bikes. They're amazing. Wish I kept my K75S. That motor was smooth as silk. Loved it.

This morning on my drive to work a guy passed me on a K100LT (grey). Super nice looking bike. I would like to have one of those too, but only after I nab a K100RS. I still lust after one of those. Be still my beating heart! roundel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum