BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Removing new road surface stuff from tyres on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:47 am

Reg

Silver member
Silver member
Long and short of it, took the K11 out for a little blast last week, However the road home ( Galway to Cliften road) was been re-surfaced. Got to the stop/go traffic light system ( ie one side of road was blocked) and the Guy told me to race on and catch up with the traffic. So I did untill I came across a tractor with trailer, going VVV slow. So and the K11 does I nip passed only to see to workers waving their hands at me, so I pulled over. They pointed down the road, thats were I saw the lovely Line I took...... Then looked at me tyres to see the Road stuck to them Sad

Is there an easy way to remove tar and feathers from the tyres, or is it a scaple job...

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Reg

Knowing what those guys use over there that stuff is hot bitumen. When it cools its lethal. Solvent of some sortwill work, as in white spirit or petrol or normal car paint tar remover. That's how I get it off the car.You should get most of it off but treat the tyres as if they were new.

Other less preferred option is scrub it off as in ride it off but very very carefully. Wet and cold are something that don't go well with it.

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Reg wrote:Is there an easy way to remove tar and feathers from the tyres, or is it a scaple job...
No, no, no. Don't remove it. Find a good dirt track and enjoy the fact that you've got your own personal bit of blacktop to ride on
Twisted Evil

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

Kando

Silver member
Silver member
Lucky you didn't have an 'off' .It's never happened that bad to me, but I remember somewhere reading that once it had set, the amount of solvent required to 'dissolve' itincreased a lot, and larger pieces of it could be removed by getting the tyre really cold so that the tar becomes brittle and crumbles when tapped with a small hammer.

I must say that I've never tried this and I for one wound not risk stuffing a tar covered tyre in The Management's frozen food, I would get an awful lot more than 'a cold shoulder' !

Auto Glym sell a tar removing product that I have used but only on small blobs from the lower fairings, the amount need for a tyre might cost more than a new tyre perhaps?

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:No, no, no. Don't remove it. Find a good dirt track and enjoy the fact that you've got your own personal bit of blacktop to ride on
Twisted Evil
cheers

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
What would I do?

I probably wouldn't use any solvent type stuff on the tyre unless I tried it out on an old tyre first. Use it and check for oily, greasy, slippery residue?

You may have to spring for a new tyre?!?

Remember Rule No. 6

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
blaKey wrote:What would I do?

I probably wouldn't use any solvent type stuff on the tyre unless I tried it out on an old tyre first. Use it and check for oily, greasy, slippery residue?

Blakey

You are right with that, I had it happen before and white spirit shifts it. Much easier when its soft and hot. Problem is the residue and when you get it off you have to scrub the tyre in again. Cold wet weather here just now and the combination is fairly scarey. Not sure I would be happy on the twisties around Reg's way

David Nimrod

Silver member
Silver member
blaKey wrote:

I probably wouldn't use any solvent type stuff on the tyre unless I tried it out on an old tyre first.

Agree on both counts!

I certainly wouldn't be using any solvents (or similar) on a tyre.

Just buy a new set of boots, and forget it

Life time member
Life time member
Reg....buy a pound of ordinary butter and massage it into a section...it dissolves tar! Seriously! Depending on how thick the tar is depends on whether the butter or a new tyre will cost more.

I ran onto some fresh stuff years ago with a jeep. The bodywork was badly spattered. Stuff from the auto factors was partially effective and after a suggestion from a mate I tried the butter which was 100% effective with less rubbing...it took only 2 1/2 lbs to clean the body work...I would have used 3 but the dog ate it !!! Laughing

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick! Mods: k1100 screen and stands.
K1: 1990. 6374189. Custom Stealth Black paint.

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
Cloth soaked in acetone.

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
88 wrote:Reg....buy a pound of ordinary butter and massage it into a section...it dissolves tar! Seriously! Depending on how thick the tar is depends on whether the butter or a new tyre will cost more.

I ran onto some fresh stuff years ago with a jeep. The bodywork was badly spattered. Stuff from the auto factors was partially effective and after a suggestion from a mate I tried the butter which was 100% effective with less rubbing...it took only 2 1/2 lbs to clean the body work...I would have used 3 but the dog ate it !!! Laughing

Make sure its Kerrygold.

And yes it does work. Less elbow grease. But heed the dog warning. The buggers will be chasing after you like mad.

Chocolate

Life time member
Life time member
Hey!

Shit happens :-)

I wouldn't use any cleaner, instead I would freeze the wheels or wait for could/freeze weather. You will see how the stuff breaks of with a little help.

Cheers

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Doesn't get that cold here. It just p!sses down all year round.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Try kerosene or diesel. Apply liberally and brush. Think about where you do it because the run-off will soak into concrete, destroy grass and melt you bitumen roadway. I think anyway you do it, its going to be a tedious process. I've not heard of any adverse effect on tyres.

many years ago I worked in a bitumen hotmix plant as a lab tech. We used to wash samples for analysis with carbon tetrachloride and we used kero to clean bitumen off stuff including our hands. We also made a bagged product called 'Cold Mix' which was sold thru hardware store for DIYers to repair holes in their driveways etc. This was the same as 'Hot Mix' but diesel was added to keep the bitumenn wet till the bag was opened and applied to the ground where the diesel evaporated and the mix then set.
I've also heard that acetone will dissolve tar/bitumen but its going to be pretty expensive.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Reg

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the feed back, I am currently gutting my shed to make room. and will let ye know how it goes. Not going to post any pictures, still dont trust the site after the nasty virus I got last time:)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum