BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You can now order the forum stickers. Login and go to the "members only" forum. This is not available for guests yet....

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Smoothing the handlebar buzz on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:36 am

audibob

Silver member
Silver member
Has anyone noticed that by closing the throttle very slightly, without losing speed, can eliminate the buzzing through the handlebars , or is this common knowledge ?

When I bought my first K100LT, I noticed that around most cruising speeds, I would get a very slight buzz through the bars..

During one ride out I was getting a bit fed up with the buzz, it was beginning to lessen the enjoyment of riding my first K bike.

I closed the throttle slightly, whether on purpose, or involuntary, not sure , but suddenly the buzz disappeared and the bars were super smooth.

Tried it again at different speeds, and the same happened..

I later talked to the previous owner, and he was both amazed and annoyed, as that was the only reason he sold it .

My current K100 LT did the same when I first got her, albeit to a lesser degree.

After balancing the throttle bodies on my current K, and rechecking again after 1000 miles, I have no buzz , and closing the throttle slightly as before has no effect..

She is the smoothest bike I have ever had.

Love her to bits....

The obvious question...

What makes the buzz go away when de throttling slightly.

Is it a case of the throttle bodies being in better " harmony" when de throttling, perhaps not being synchronized properly before.

My first K was taken to BMW for a throttle balance test, which came back as " its okay mate " read from that what you will, though it cost me enough....

I do it myself now thanks to the forum...

Bob

Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

2Back to top Go down    Re: Smoothing the handlebar buzz on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:53 am

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
I have sold bikes because of a high pitched vibration through the handlebar, the worst being a BMW R1100S that I bought new. The wife had one the same at the same time and that was as smooth as silk. My right hand used to go dead after 30 miles. I tried all sorts of things to get rid, without success.
I have never ridden a K100 with any sort of buzz through the bars.

3Back to top Go down    Smoothing the handlebar buzz on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:12 am

audibob

Silver member
Silver member
I had the use of a gs1200 many years ago, brilliant around town, but vibey at motorway speeds. was glad to get back on my K

Norton had isolastics many years ago.

Who would buy a car with out the engine being rubber mounted.

Motorcycle manufacturers could a lot more than ignoring reports of handlebar vibrations, for me, it is the most intrusive aspect of motorcycling..even on a very short trip..

I accept that some engine configurations produce more vibrations than others, but saying it is part of the character of the bike is nonsense, and only a very few riders would accept that.

I am glad my bike is smooth, plus having had two carpal tunnel ops..

Bob

Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: