BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Final Drive spline lubrication issue Empty Final Drive spline lubrication issue Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Larry Myers

Larry Myers
After seemingly completing a final drive spline inspection, lubrication, and reassembly,  I moved a rag and found a small rubber donut.  I can't seem to find any pictures or diagrams that clarify where that donut belongs.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Final Drive spline lubrication issue Img_2010

Thanks

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Some aftermarket shock absorbers—Progressive, for one—have o-rings similar to that one that fit within the lower mounts and tend to fall out when the shocks are dismounted. 

Consider putting your bike's model and year in your profile so it will show up with each post you make.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It isn't a part of the final drive that can come out when the drive is removed for lubricating.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Final Drive spline lubrication issue Empty Final Drive spline lubrication issue Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:55 pm

Larry Myers

Larry Myers
Thanks for the responses.  I am relieved to hear that the mystery donut does not appear to belong in the actual drive shaft/final drive assembly.  I would like to return it to it's proper placement and would appreciate any clarification as to where, exactly, it belongs.  At this point, I am thinking that it may belong on the inside of the lower shock mount.  The bushing at the bottom of the shock appears to cracked (not through).  I would like to replace it, if I can locate the proper part.  Should I expect to find a manufacturer's name/description on the shock?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The easiest way to identify it maybe to post a picture of it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Final Drive spline lubrication issue Empty Rear shock images (1986 K100 RS) Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Larry Myers

Larry Myers
If any Forum member can identify the rear shock on my K100, please contact me.  I would like to find replacement rubber bushing for the shock.

Final Drive spline lubrication issue Img_2013
Final Drive spline lubrication issue Img_2014

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Larry Myers wrote:If any Forum member can identify the rear shock on my K100, please contact me.  I would like to find replacement rubber bushing for the shock.
It looks like an old Fox Clicker. Are you certain it had o-rings (rubber bushings) to begin with? The canister attached to the hose at the top of the shock has no identification on it?

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
+1 on the Fox twin clicker identification.  The blue knurled knob on the bottom is the rebound damping adjustment.  The red knob on the reservoir is the compression damping adjustment.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
If the shock mounts are anything like the OEM Ikons fitted to my Cali 1100ie then the O-rings fit in a groove either side of the main metal bush mount. They're there to try and prevent water ingress into the bush and so to stop the bush corroding to the mounting spigot on the bike. Take the nut off the bottom shock mount and check for a groove or an O-ring. If they're there, refit the O-ring with some water-resistant grease (OEM is quite frequently a white marine-grade grease).

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
Wilbers have the same arrangement on their bottom shock mount. Two O rings keep dirt out of the grease that lubricates the sleeve inside the mounting eye.
Inspect the bottom mount, if an O ring is missing replace it ASAP.

Good luck.

11Back to top Go down   Final Drive spline lubrication issue Empty Final Drive spline lubrication issue Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:04 pm

Larry Myers

Larry Myers
Thanks for the good suggestions.  The O-ring that was still hanging around after my spline lube was, in fact, intended to keep dirt and moisture out of the lower shock mount.  It was from the back side of the bottom of the shock.  Thanks to your advice, it is back where it belongs.

Larry

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum