BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
Well that was an eventful day!
Having ridden in to work in the worst weather of the winter so far (windy, heavy rain and sleet with temperature sitting at just 1 deg C) I finished work early as per a normal Friday and rode home in beautiful sunshine. About 2 miles from home, I was low on gas, so deviated towards the local supermarket petrol station to fill Gretel up ready for whatever the weekend offered.

Approaching a mini roundabout, where I was going straight across, I noted two cars stopped waiting to enter from the junction on my right - they were yielding to cars going straight over in the opposite direction to me, just as they are required to. There was also a silver car approaching the roundabout from the road to my left, but as he was required to yield to me, that was not a concern. Wrong! As I accelerated back up to 30mph, out came the silver car and right into my path, without him even pausing at all. Polish driver in Polish car...but at least he had valid insurance and a driving licence.

The rest, as they say is history, I slammed into the side of him at 27mph...and stopped very quickly. Through the bike screen I went and I bounced of his side panels before ending up sitting in the road next to poor old Gretel. Straight away I knew that I had busted my left wrist. Bugger!

Ambulance car and police were soon on the scene thanks to a helpful passerby. Details taken and exchanged and road cleared. 

Gretel is destroyed - front fairing and headlight smashed, front fender snapped at back where it was pushed into the engine block, puddle of oil on the road and my K100LT with a much shorter wheelbase due to the forks bent backwards. Back end of the bike is OK though!! I noted with grim satisfaction that, when they tried to move the silver car (peugeot 307), it was also f*@ked - front door bashed in, steering broken and side air bags deployed. Wished i'd had the benefit of an airbag though!

One ambulance ride to hospital later, and x-rays showed that I'd broken both wrists in the impact. Left hand worst by far. Double bugger - how quick do arm bones heal? Might get in the way of coming to the eccentrics Christmas brunch too...
After several hours hanging about, eventually discharged, but got to go back tomorrow to get a plate screwed into my left wrist - thank goodness its not my throttle and Guinness drinking hand!

Got home about 8pm and then had to walk down to the bike to await the recovery truck.
Still it could have been worse.

Enjoy the video - pity about heading straight into the sun though...

Few pics too - it's great what you can do while waiting on the emergency services to arrive, even with two broken wings!!
Down but not out....

Ride safe y'all and leave the cars alone!

Paul  

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donner" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Bugger, as for healing bones 6 weeks from lots of experience unless its a scaphoid in your right wrist and that is 3 months.
I wont tell any horror stories as I am sure you will hear plenty.
DONT let your kids talk you out of riding and take the stupid driver for as much as you can and have no mercy upon them.

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
"Enjoy the video" ?? Laughing ..... That's every rider's worst nightmare. Luck it was a relatively low speed collision.
Bad luck Paul. Hope you heal quickly mate. I'd imagine 2 hands out of action will present some very awkward and frustrating moments. I can't believe you have a smile on your face while displaying two broken wrists.... oh, maybe the anesthetic hasn't worn off.

Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Gaz

Life time member
Life time member
Bugger! hardly describes it but at least it's good to still see that smile despite the damage to you and bike. Paul you're obviously a "glass is half full" kind of guy.

It's a pity the Krew are so far away from you as I'm sure we would swing into action if you were close by and attend to Gretel in relatively short order.

Cheers

charlie99

VIP
VIP
awww commiserations paul

get well soon mate ..

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

Laitch

Platinum member
Platinum member
@Born Again Eccentric wrote:Well that was an eventful day! . . . Still it could have been worse.
Down but not out....
Yours is an admirable response to such an event, Paul, and it can help with both coping and healing. May you move on with the healing at full throttle and be back in action sooner than expected.

ainsjac

Life time member
Life time member
What a way to go! Do hope that firstly you get better quickly and secondly a replacement bike eventually comes your way. Does this mean that not only you can't ride, you also can't drive? She who must be listened to did not want to see that wrist of yours before you got plastered.
Get better soon.

Forgot to ask... will some of your photos appear in the photo competition... sure to be unique!

Shep

Silver member
Silver member
What a bummer! Wish you the best and a quick road to recovery.
In our small Canadian city we now have a few new roundabouts where you can't go through the center of the intersection. We don't have the mini roundabout where you could actually drive straight through!
Always learning on this forum.
Shep

Tom Grabau

Life time member
Life time member
Paul so sorry to hear about your accident. What was the culprits excuse?. Probably the usual one.  ,I did not see him....,.hope you recover well.Cheers Tom

David Nimrod

Silver member
Silver member
So sorry to hear that, at least you're in one piece.

As bikers, we live by our wits, and that's for sure!

And, we live to fight another day

Chocolate

Life time member
Life time member
Oh man, wish you all the best!!!

Besides, I never have seen a better documentation of a crash.
How do you write, with both hands injured?

Be well
Cheers

Rickmeister

Life time member
Life time member
Paul!! All the best for speedy recovery! Bummer. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Get well soon, mate!

Rickmeister.

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Sad to hear about this Paul.
You really have a bond with Gretel: She broke both forks, you broke both wrist. Embarassed
The dash cam movie is quite impressive and I think it will be my next addition on the bikes.

As it must be difficult to type, you will have to use the famous phrase: "OK Google", "type for me". Voice to text is working quite right now (even on the phones when you want to text)
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Bert

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Paul

Gutted to see that. But so glad to see you are ok and smiling enough to tell the story.

12 days of November left plus 28 in December = 40 days almost 6 weeks for the cure. BUT it's the physiotherapy that is the key to getting them back in service. Been there with fractures and imperative to get the muscles back up and running. Wrists can be tricky but a websites like www. prettygirls . com might help make it more interesting.... Leprachaun

I couldn't find one with a straw but since you caught the most delicious fish over in Doolin last year and fed the hungry masses I thought you deserved one.

Life time member
Life time member
Paul, that's not easy to watch, especially when it's a mate. I'm disappointed for you that it happened (and Gretel was such a clean bike). Despite the amount of Hi viz, reflectors etc you were i, it just shows you can't be careful enough. Hope the car had proper insurance too. 

I'm also delighted for you that you had the camera rolling with the GPS on. I used to wonder about the wisdom of this (self incriminating evidence and all ) but now your case is copper fastened before its begun. 

Heal well mate!....oh! Can I have your slice of pudding? lol!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick!
Mods: k1100 screen and stands

K1100rs 1995, Remus exhaust.

playlikewedream

Silver member
Silver member
Hi Paul,
Horrible to watch, gives you that sick feeling in the pit of the stomach. Glad to see you weren't too seriously injured, although even at 30 mph or less it shows the damage that can be done to body and bike.
I think you should get the patch now you certainly deserve it.
P.M. me your address and it's on its way.

Get well soon and still hope to see you on the 28th.

Cheers
Pat.

;BMW; K1 1990 Laguna Blue and Yellow ;BMW;

Its not about the journey or the destination, it's about the friends you make on the way.

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Paul can we write on your plaster?

Makes me wonder about practicalities and the odd trip to the bathroom since I have been there too many years back, but due to living on my own at the time I was kept in hospital.

I had this thing taped inside my hand and if I needed a bathroom visit I squeezed it and bells rang somewhere. The effect was that an elderly nurse battleaxe came with a bedpan and with some pleasant if she were a young one fiddling on her part and **ddling on my part the necessary business was done.

I suppose now with modern NHS technology they just leave you a blue pill and tell you 'aim it through the bathroom door'?

Ringfad

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Paul

This was a bit of a shock to read on a Saturday but good to see your smiling face at the end.

Get well soon and offer still stands for a stay in Dublin. (With or without Bike - I live close to the airport).

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 99K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 42K Km     ;BMW; K1100RS Red 1993 50k miles

smithy

Life time member
Life time member
Like everybody else has said. Bugger
I hope your on the mend soon mate.
The sun was in your eyes, but there's no excuse for the tin top. Some just don't bloody look.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

Waz

Life time member
Life time member
Get well soon Mate. Gretel looks like she can be saved.

Maybe a few more reflective stickers are needed or flashing lights so people see you before they take you out. affraid

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
@Waz wrote:Maybe a few more reflective stickers are needed or flashing lights so people see you before they take you out. affraid
In Britain in 1865, the legislative response to the increasing introduction of self-propelled vehicles on the roads was the Locomotive Act. It stipulated that self-propelled vehicles needed to be proceeded with a man walking 60 yards ahead carrying a red flag to warn other road users of the vehicles approach. (I like to see a person running at 27Miles/hr in front of a K bike. Very Happy )

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Both wrists? Yup, been there - but I was only sixteen at the time and it was my first day on the road where I was fully legal!!! I like the 'oh shit not again...' rueful smile Very Happy

I can only echo what Olaf says - when you can, exercise your wrists because that's part of the reason I've lost half the movement in mine. Didn't do the physio because I knew better. Actually, you could spell that as l-a-z-y.

If I assume that your fully-comp, I guess that insurance-wise you'll call on that and let your underwriter have it out with his underwriter?

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

Nigel T

Silver member
Silver member
Hi Paul
Sorry to read your posting and I am glad you are OK.  I cannot really bring myself to watch the video but like others am now thinking maybe I need to fit one to my bike.
Hope your wrists and bruises mend soon.
Regards
Nigel

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Painkiller Prescription.

Take one every two hours. To be taken after food.

WARNING: May cause drowsiness. Exercise care when working with machinery.

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
Firstly, thank you all for the messages -really means a lot to me and has helped keep the smile on my face. 

Got the call to go back into hospital for 13:00 on 19th for operation on left wrist. Gave just enough time in the morning to talk to my insurance people and the legal protection lot and get things in motion. Never a quick process though and will drag on for the next few months.

Docs got the dremel out and I went under a general anaesthetic. Dislocation and fracture of distil (apparently) left radius, so fixed me up with plate and pins. X-rayed right wrist again, but not sure whether scaphoid fractured or not. Hopefully, just soft tissue damage. Operation took about 2.5 hours and I returned to the world at 20:00. Stayed in over night to let the anaesthetic wear off. Finally discharged at lunch time on 20th after being seen by the consultant and physio. Glad to get home, although both hands in splints. At least my fingers work still, so can type (but slower than my usual slow).

Due back to hospital in 12 days to see how healing going and have stitches out.

@RicK G wrote:I wont tell any horror stories as I am sure you will hear plenty.
DONT let your kids talk you out of riding
Always the opportunity for horror stories...but hopefully no complications for me. Family have been very supportive, I guess they know trying to talk me out of riding would be futile...but might be a bit harder to persuade the kids to ride pillion.

@Holister wrote:I'd imagine 2 hands out of action will present some very awkward and frustrating moments. I can't believe you have a smile on your face while displaying two broken wrists.... oh, maybe the anesthetic hasn't worn off.
Yeah, its amazing how useful hands are for doing things. The simplest things suddenly become a challenge - might have to put off working on Gretel for a few weeks. Smiling - I suppose the oral morphine administered in A&E helped a little on that score!!

@Gaz wrote:Bugger! hardly describes it but at least it's good to still see that smile despite the damage to you and bike. Paul you're obviously a "glass is half full" kind of guy.

It's a pity the Krew are so far away from you as I'm sure we would swing into action if you were close by and attend to Gretel in relatively short order.
My glass is always full - even if it is mostly full of air (hot air?). Thought about Gretel optimistically last night, I've got a spare top fairing which came with her and a headlight, fairing mounts and forks etc from my donor bike. Not going to be quick, but good winter project once I can wield a spanner again, so all not lost. The krew would always be welcome over to help!

@Charlie99 wrote:awww commiserations paul
get well soon mate ..
Cheers Charlie - I just did it to upstage you, but bet I won't get her fixed up as quick as you did Gerty! Going to do my best to be fit to ride as soon as I can.

@Laitch wrote:Yours is an admirable response to such an event, Paul, and it can help with both coping and healing. May you move on with the healing at full throttle and be back in action sooner than expected.
Well, once it's happened, there's no point wishing it hadn't. Talking about it and getting support from people that understand and care is exactly the therapy I need - better than any drugs or professional counsellor and definitely the helps with the healing.

@ainsjac wrote:Do hope that firstly you get better quickly and secondly a replacement bike eventually comes your way. Does this mean that not only you can't ride, you also can't drive?
Get better soon.
Forgot to ask... will some of your photos appear in the photo competition... sure to be unique!
Thanks Stan - kind of buggered for riding and driving for a few weeks, but will cope somehow. Photo - already done - going for the sympathy vote this year!!!!!

@Shep wrote:Wish you the best and a quick road to recovery.
In our small Canadian city we now have a few new roundabouts where you can't go through the center of the intersection. We don't have the mini roundabout where you could actually drive straight through!
Thanks Shep. We have both sorts of roundabout here - the safest ones have solid middles. Most mini-roundabouts are usually very small - the one I picked to have my accident though, is quite big, with the white splodge in the middle almost an after thought. The important bit is that you always yield to traffic approaching on your right (as we drive on the left) - most people adhere to this rule, but some obviously don't!

@Tom Grabau wrote:Paul so sorry to hear about your accident. What was the culprits excuse?. Probably the usual one.  ,I did not see him....,.hope you recover well.Cheers Tom
Thanks Tom. He just kept blaming my speed - even though I wasn't (fortunately) speeding. I guess his reasoning is that he saw me but judged I was speeding, so reckoned that it was fair game to pull out in front of me. Truth is, he just never looked.

@David Nimrod wrote:So sorry to hear that, at least you're in one piece.
Thanks David - having proclaimed that I ride all year round, first sign of wintery weather and I go and have an off! 
Mostly in one piece, and with the plate & pins, at least my scrap value has gone up.

@Chocolate wrote:Oh man, wish you all the best!!!
Besides, I never have seen a better documentation of a crash.
How do you write, with both hands injured?
Thanks mate...once the evidence has been moved, it can become your word against theirs, so I always carry a camera to capture the scene. Helps make sense of everything later too - one your self doubts start playing in your mind.How do I write - one fingered slow jabbing of the keyboard! Helps getting the fingers moving again too.

@Rickmeister wrote:All the best for speedy recovery! Bummer. If it's not one thing, it's another.
Get well soon, mate!
Cheers Ulli, just when you start having fun, there's always some sod that goes and spoils it.

@Crazy Frog wrote:Sad to hear about this Paul.
You really have a bond with Gretel: She broke both forks, you broke both wrist.  
The dash cam movie is quite impressive and I think it will be my next addition on the bikes.
Thanks Bert - I think she came off worst though and took the brunt of the impact. I have always ridden with a camera on the bike since my last off, always too easy to blame the biker. Pity about the low sun though, perhaps I should go for a re-enactment with better light conditions?

@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Gutted to see that. But so glad to see you are ok and smiling enough to tell the story.
12 days of November left plus 28 in December = 40 days almost 6 weeks for the cure.
Thanks Olaf, I like your thinking! Mobility as quickly as possible is critical to a fast recovery - made the mistake last time of keeping joint immobile and found that it just gives the physioterrorist more pleasure. Web link didn't work for me - perhaps just as well or it might just have added to the frustration!

@88 wrote:Paul, that's not easy to watch, especially when it's a mate. I'm disappointed for you that it happened (and Gretel was such a clean bike). Despite the amount of Hi viz, reflectors etc you were i, it just shows you can't be careful enough. Hope the car had proper insurance too. 
I'm also delighted for you that you had the camera rolling with the GPS on. I used to wonder about the wisdom of this (self incriminating evidence and all ) but now your case is copper fastened before its begun. 
Heal well mate!....oh! Can I have your slice of pudding?
Cheers Will for your generous offer to help - but no you can't have my slice of pudding! I'm still hoping to be there.
High Viz, headlight on, additional riding lights on, festooned in reflective stickers...all count for nowt if the buggers don't look! Self incriminating evidence - always an issue, but I'm sure that if it hadn't supported my version of events, it would have mysteriously have not been recording at the time. Pity it was mounted so low on the bike though - no shots of me bouncing off the side of the car.

@playlikewedream wrote:Horrible to watch, gives you that sick feeling in the pit of the stomach. Glad to see you weren't too seriously injured, although even at 30 mph or less it shows the damage that can be done to body and bike.I think you should get the patch now you certainly deserve it.
Thanks Pat, not suppose to be a video nasty, but thought it suitable for sharing the clip as the explosion of glass and plastic is quite artistic in its own way

@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Paul can we write on your plaster?
Makes me wonder about practicalities and the odd trip to the bathroom since I have been there too many years back, but due to living on my own at the time I was kept in hospital.
Nope - the plaster cast was only put there in A&E to stabilise the injury so I could go home and then come back for the Op. As they explained, weekends are reduced staff and more serious cases that come in will rightly take priority. Luckily I was re-admitted the following day and I wasn't bumped down the list. Cast was chopped off to do the op and just got splints on both hands now. I think I resemble a lobster - left hand very pink and swollen and right hand skinnier and claw like!

Bathroom was something of a challenge - but no offers of help! Just left with a cardboard bottle to use overnight - couldn't even get out of bed as they shackled me to it to stop me running away in the night  with some air driven massage collars around my calfs (to stop DVT I presume). 

@Ringfad wrote:This was a bit of a shock to read on a Saturday but good to see your smiling face at the end. Get well soon and offer still stands for a stay in Dublin. (With or without Bike - I live close to the airport).
Thanks Simon - bit of a shock to me too.."Oh Shiiiiiiit...Bang!" Got to smile though, as it could have been a whole lot worse.
Still hoping to be fit to ride by 28 Dec...always got to have a positive goal to look forward to.

@smithy wrote:I hope your on the mend soon mate.
The sun was in your eyes, but there's no excuse for the tin top. Some just don't bloody look.
Cheers Smithy - sun was low, but had sun visor down, so not blinded. Saw him approaching, just didn't realise that he hadn't stopped until it was too late. As you say, he just didn't look - probably didn't help that he was a foreign left hand drive car.

@Waz wrote:Get well soon Mate. Gretel looks like she can be saved. 
Cheers Waz - the insurance people will definitely write her off, but hopefully I can buy the salvage and get her back on the road. I've got enough spare bits to give her a chance.

@Dai wrote:I can only echo what Olaf says - when you can, exercise your wrists because that's part of the reason I've lost half the movement in mine. Didn't do the physio because I knew better. Actually, you could spell that as l-a-z-y.
 I assume that your fully-comp, I guess that insurance-wise you'll call on that and let your underwriter have it out with his underwriter?
You're right there Dai - I made that mistake before too and it took much longer to get things working again. Already wiggling the fingers as much as possible (and typing does help!). Can't exercise my wrists at moment though due to splints and don't want to tear stitches! Insurance wise, only TPF&T - if my insurers agree that it was the drivers fault, then I'll get paid for bike, helmet and other losses. If they go bump for bump, then I'm out of pocket. Reason I didn't go full comp was because the accident excess was nearly half the price of the bike! I did pay the extra for breakdown cover and legal protection. Breakdown recovered the bike for me and legal team will go for losses and injury - no win no fee and 100% payout to me if we win. Hopefully, with the camera footage and pictures, I will be in a stronger position.

@Nigel T wrote:Sorry to read your posting and I am glad you are OK.  I cannot really bring myself to watch the video but like others am now thinking maybe I need to fit one to my bike.
Hope your wrists and bruises mend soon.
Thanks Nigel - the video is not everyone cup of tea. At least I didn't glamourise it with a funky sound track! Feeling better already, but it will take a while to get fully fit again

Anyway, enough typing for one session. Thanks again to you all for your comments and best wishes. I'm looking forward to the rebuild of Gretel.

Cheers mates!

Paul  

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donner" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
I watched but I no see you make a cameo appearance, Paul

Seems a bit odd to say nice video but it was good to see first hand what happens.

3mths is a long time to wear splints, I do look forward to pics of the rebuild though.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

sidecar paul

Life time member
Life time member
Oh dear, Paul, that's the last thing I wanted to read after returning from my camping trip to Derbyshire this weekend, but it's good to see that you are being positive with your outlook.

I remember cracking a bone in my left wrist (I fell over whilst playing tig with a bunch of kids at a sidecar rally  Embarassed) and they put a massive plaster on it that wouldn't go down the sleeve of my riding jacket! Fortunately, I dug out an old jacket that had wide sleeves and, although I couldn't operate the left hand switches, I did manage to ride before the 6 weeks of being plastered were up.

Hope you and Gretel are rolling again before too long,
best wishes,
Paul.

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@K75cster wrote:I watched but I no see you make a cameo appearance, Paul
Seems a bit odd to say nice video but it was good to see first hand what happens.
3mths is a long time to wear splints, I do look forward to pics of the rebuild though.
I was disappointed that I didn't appear either...thought I might of had a little part as an extra, but no. Probably something to do with the camera getting very up close and personal with the door panel - I certainly would not have wanted to have been caught between the two though! 

Yeah, interesting to watch the video and it's a little eye opening to see just how much ground you cover at even moderately low speed (27 mph is about 12 metres per second). Watching it back, it makes me wonder why I didn't manage to stop but even with modern(ish) brakes, that's a lot of ground to be covered every second...and I didn't have that much ground free in front of me.

Hopefully won't be in splints for 3 months - hopefully I'll shed them in the next month and get on with physio.

Last edited by Born Again Eccentric on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paul  

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@sidecar paul wrote:I remember cracking a bone in my left wrist (I fell over whilst playing tig with a bunch of kids at a sidecar rally  Embarassed) and they put a massive plaster on it that wouldn't go down the sleeve of my riding jacket! Fortunately, I dug out an old jacket that had wide sleeves and, although I couldn't operate the left hand switches, I did manage to ride before the 6 weeks of being plastered were up.
Thanks Paul - got to stay positive otherwise life gets a bit too serious and where's the fun in that?

Now theres a great idea...don't reduce the size of the cast/splint but increase it and get back on the bike with it aiding me rather than hindering. Best give it a few weeks though to let the swelling go down first, so I can bend my fingers and bit more to be able to operate the clutch.

Paul  

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
Haha next time you are looking in the bathroom mirror have a word to the editor and see if he deliberately left you out mate (check the floor for outtakes)

Ah well, 6 week will pass eventually, cheers and beers if all else fails

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

ainsjac

Life time member
Life time member
If you end up getting plastered Paul ( not that type) do not follow in the footsteps of a mate of mine. He broke his arm about this time of year and had to contend with mid 30s to mid 40s temperature through to the middle of January. Well plaster and heat leads to sweat and it leads to itchy skin. What to do ? He took the easy step first, plastic ruler down between the skin and plaster. Doesn't quite get that evasive spot, steel ruler, then a wire, still no joy.
Plan B....he got an electric drill from Santa with a variable speed. Slowly he worked out the thickness of the plaster and drilled a hole close to that itchy spot and then a wire, bent that special way to finally get it. One thing leads to another and he presented himself to the doctor to get the plaster off.... with 47 holes!. Termites was his explanation to the doctor. Bullshit was the response. Unfortunately when the plaster came off his arm was red raw, infected because of the scratching and was then placed into bandages for another six weeks. Santa also brought him some beer... that was plan C.

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Leprachaun

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@K75cster wrote:Haha next time you are looking in the bathroom mirror have a word to the editor and see if he deliberately left you out mate (check the floor for outtakes)
Ah well, 6 week will pass eventually, cheers and beers if all else fails
Haha indeed! I haven't had any job offers as a stunt extra yet either...guess I need a better agent - I'll give him a good scowl in the bathroom mirror later!

Paul  

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@ainsjac wrote:If you end up getting plastered Paul ( not that type) do not follow in the footsteps of a mate of mine...Santa also brought him some beer... that was plan C.
Thanks Stan,
 lol!
I'm glad to say no plaster at all for me now, just splints...and when nobody is around, I can take them off and give the fingers a good wiggle, the wrists a very gentle move and (oh the indescribable pleasure...) gently scratch those itchy spots with out needing the hammer drill. Took the splints off earlier today and my forearms look like I've been playing with black printer toner!! 

I do like the sound of plan C though!

Paul  

Ringfad

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Paul

I just saw this on Facebook and thought you might consider it affraid affraid affraid

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 99K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 42K Km     ;BMW; K1100RS Red 1993 50k miles

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member

Thanks Simon, looks much better than the short wheel base version!

Paul  

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
@Born Again Eccentric wrote:  
Thanks Simon, looks much better than the short wheel base version!
At least there is a large gap between the front tire and the engine. Very Happy

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@playlikewedream wrote:P.M. me your address and it's on its way.
Cheers Pat - patches arrive safely today and looking fabulous. Plenty of time for me to get out my sowing kit.
Much appreciated - along with the humour "one for each arm"!

Paul  

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote: Wrists can be tricky but a websites like www. prettygirls . com might help make it more interesting....
I just got this one by Email (A bit off color but funny)
A recent survey indicates that the Smartphone is now the number one hand held device.
Penis has slipped to second spot
Can you believe it!

Dai

Life time member
Life time member

Paul - I think you need to be looking at your insurer. I'm not sure how old Gretel is, but LFB is (actually) 1983 and (officially) 1984. I'm insured with Carole Nash fully comp on a multibike policy, of which the Brick component is £128 with NO excess.

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@Dai wrote:Paul - I think you need to be looking at your insurer. I'm not sure how old Gretel is, but LFB is (actually) 1983 and (officially) 1984. I'm insured with Carole Nash fully comp on a multibike policy, of which the Brick component is £128 with NO excess.
Dai - even the same insurers are very individual when it comes to quotes...and I don't want to upset mine right now as they are currently looking after me very well (although I do have to hold my own smartphone, they don't look after me that well!). 

For my 2xLTs multi bike policy (inc breakdown, legal protection and £100 excess per bike) it cost £170 TPF&T. At time of renewal, the fully comp quote was £334 with a £500 excess per bike. I would have been happyish with the premium, but not the excess as we all know it doesn't take much for the damage assessors to write these bikes off. Always a bit of a gamble though.

Thanks Bert for another giggle!! Humour and Healing go firmly hand in hand in my head.

Paul  

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Comprehensive is not worth it. Extra premium £160 plus £500 excess means you lose the first £660 plus an increase due to loss of no claims discount. You would do better buying another K and selling the good parts off what's left.

Glad Bert saw the fun side. I felt sad for the guys who owned the business Pen Island, for most the internet is a boon but.......

I work in the construction industry and on line searches for concrete vibrators and hardcore specifications is a bit of a nightmare.

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
I beg to disagree. It really does depend on your insurance; as I said above, LFB attracts a zero excess on the policy. Carole Nash paid out the full cost of repair and most of the cost of replacing my kit in under three weeks for January's accident. Also, the difference in premium between TPFT and fully comp is a whole £20-odd. I think you need to move up north Very Happy

Paul - quite often the amount of excess vs the cost of the premium is negotiable. When the Bandit was on a separate 'modern' package, I negotiated a drop in excess from £400 to £100 for an increase in premium of about £30 (I think it was).

ainsjac

Life time member
Life time member
Insurance is quite different if you are an old bloke with an old bike. Here in NSW you can insure with veteran bike insurance and the company believes that if you treasure that old girl, then you will take less risks. My two bikes have comprehensive cover for $75 each. If the bike is written off, you get the leftovers for free...without a doggy bag!

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
@ainsjac wrote:If the bike is written off, you get the leftovers for free...without a doggy bag!
Wot - even if it's an old dog?

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
Yes Paul, a good scowl will sort him.

Love the chopper pic.

Mate duck tape can fix most of whats shifted on your bike. However those pics of your wrist show a need for a flattening iron, bugger

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Paul,

When the time comes for renewal, try Peter James (he broke away from Footman James). I insure four bikes with him and get a very competitive deal.

I followed your video, and felt the pain as your K hit the car. It could have been much worse. Lets hope your wrists heal quickly and you get the bike back on the road.

Mike

ainsjac

Life time member
Life time member
Paul, before I had an operation to repair my left shoulder I asked the surgeon whether I would be able to play the violin after the operation. He said he saw no reason why not. Bloody hell he is good, can't play before the op! He then reminded me of who has the knife during the procedure. I kept quiet.

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@K75cster wrote:Yes Paul, a good scowl will sort him.
Bugger just scowled back! Tried staring him out but he just stared back and eventually, I turned away - just as the other bugger did...if only I'd waiting a few more moments, I'd have beaten him!

Paul  

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
@mike d wrote:When the time comes for renewal, try Peter James (he broke away from Footman James). I insure four bikes with him and get a very competitive deal.
I followed your video, and felt the pain as your K hit the car. It could have been much worse. Lets hope your wrists heal quickly and you get the bike back on the road.
Mike
Thanks for the tip Mike, I'll make a note for next year.

Yeah, could have been much worse - the accident could have come after the fuel stop instead of just before it and I'd have wasted £20!

Paul  

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum