BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    You have to be careful don't you? on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
I came across a 1 owner, year 2001, 12000 mile K1200RS for sale on AutoTrader bikes. I thought to myself "I shouldn't but I'll go and look-what harm can it do?" Even better was the fact that it wasn't even going out of my way to see it because I went to see my daughter in Manchester and I passed the chaps house. 
It all seems very easy!
I arrived to look at the bike and it's a beauty,  the mileage seems correct and backed up by all Mot certificates. The 74 year old chap had Arthritis quite badly and struggled to ride the bike. 
It all seems very easy!
The bike ran really well and it was almost unmarked so we worked out a price and I went away quite excited as a 12RS was a box I'd like to tick. I'd collect on Tuesday.....but something nagged at me at the back of my mind, something was wrong.
I came home and started looking on line at the RS's in detail and Hey Presto!! The ABS system had been removed. When I turned the bike on I didn't notice the ABS warning lights flashing but I thought I'd just missed them blinking. Bollocks.
I rang the guy and told him of my findings and he seemed surprised but given the fact that he'd spent the last 20 years shooting big game around the world (grotesque trophy's mounted all over his home) this old gent was well capable of looking you in the eye and telling you exactly what you wanted to hear if you get me. Anyway, he said he didn't know anything about the ABS not being in place but he'd contact he guy who serviced it last and get back to me. 15 minutes later he called back with a story that he'd taken the bike for a service with the warning lights flashing and when it came back everything was "normal" again. He said the service centre had admitted removing the entire ABS system but "he hadn't fucking told me!" Yeah, right.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611139717714?sort=price-asc&postcode=s66rn&radius=1500&model=K1200RS&make=BMW&advertising-location=at_bikes&page=1

2Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:37 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
He's the one with the big mouth and it says ABS so tell him you want it.
I bought a car many years ago and it said Air conditioning and it didn't have it so it cost the big mouth salesman $1500 to install new air he even tried it on for me to pay half so I told him the law and the bad news.

3Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:34 am

David Nimrod

Silver member
Silver member
Buyer Beware...

Remember: it's a jungle out there!

4Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:05 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:He's the one with the big mouth and it says ABS so tell him you want it.
I bought a car many years ago and it said Air conditioning and it didn't have it so it cost the big mouth salesman $1500 to install new air he even tried it on for me to pay half so I told him the law and the bad news.
The problem here Rick is that he's a private seller so what applies to a dealer, doesn't apply to the private individual.
I'm still upset because the bike itself was lovely. Sad

5Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:46 pm

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
Motorbike Mike wrote:The problem here Rick is that he's a private seller so what applies to a dealer, doesn't apply to the private individual.
You can always report the ad at the link you provided. The ad still has "ABS" in the text. You might save somebody else the same trouble.

6Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
Motorbike Mike wrote:The problem here Rick is that he's a private seller so what applies to a dealer, doesn't apply to the private individual.
You can always report the ad at the link you provided. It has "ABS" in the text. You might save somebody else the same trouble.
Hmmm, maybe I will report it.
The mans dishonesty is further compounded by the fact that the ad is still live and claiming ABS-not good eh?

Bumblebee

Silver member
Silver member
So, the thing to do is see if the shop that removed the ABS system still has the bits, if so get them and reinstall them.

That's what I would do.

http://Bugsmashers.org/phpbb

8Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Bumblebee wrote:So, the thing to do is see if the shop that removed the ABS system still has the bits, if so get them and reinstall them.

That's what I would do.
I disagree.
I want nothing further to do with that bike or the current owner. When your trust has gone-it's gone.

Bumblebee

Silver member
Silver member
Let bygones be bygones.  If you got the motorcycle enjoy it, don't fume over it, make a lemon into lemonade. It's a beautiful bike.  
You'll go through life much happier that way.

I did notice the advert is still up.  It says in the advert it has ABS.

- John

10Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:53 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Motorbike Mike wrote:
Bumblebee wrote:So, the thing to do is see if the shop that removed the ABS system still has the bits, if so get them and reinstall them.

That's what I would do.
I disagree.
I want nothing further to do with that bike or the current owner. When your trust has gone-it's gone.
Have to agree with that.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

11Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:00 pm

Bumblebee

Silver member
Silver member
So, I take it you didn't buy the bike?

- John

12Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Bumblebee wrote:So, I take it you didn't buy the bike?

- John
Forgive me John but would you have bought it, what else was the seller lying about? I asked him if it had ever been on it's to which he replied "no" but the rear brake lever was bent in and there were marks on the lower fairing-I guess some people just can't help themselves can they?

Mike.

13Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:10 am

Bumblebee

Silver member
Silver member
Motorbike Mike wrote:

- John
Forgive me John but would you have bought it, what else was the seller lying about? I asked him if it had ever been on it's to which he replied "no" but the rear brake lever was bent in and there were marks on the lower fairing-I guess some people just can't help themselves can they?

Mike.
Perhaps so.  If the price was right.  I would have spotted the missing ABS right off, as the crash damage. But if it ran right and a favorable price negotiated, then perhaps.
I deal with people who bold face lie to me every day, I make sport of it and try (and usually do) catch them at it.  It's great fun.

I am one of these guys who will buy something broken at a ridiculously low price, repair and use it.

If I don't pay a lot, then I don't expect a lot.  If the price is a lot, but the value is not, I do not.

But I am me and you are you and I'll bet we march to the beat of different drummers. Not intended to be derogatory in the least just an observation.

John.

14Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:19 am

Ajays

Life time member
Life time member
ABS is a bloody nuisance...leave it off.

AJAYS

15Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:30 am

David Nimrod

Silver member
Silver member
Bumblebee wrote:

But I am me and you are you and I'll bet we march to the beat of different drummers.

I like a bit of Philosophy, with my morning mug of tea (o)

16Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:03 am

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Bumblebee wrote:
Motorbike Mike wrote:

- John

Mike.
Perhaps so.  If the price was right.  I would have spotted the missing ABS right off, as the crash damage. But if it ran right and a favorable price negotiated, then perhaps.
I deal with people who bold face lie to me every day, I make sport of it and try (and usually do) catch them at it.  It's great fun.

I am one of these guys who will buy something broken at a ridiculously low price, repair and use it.

If I don't pay a lot, then I don't expect a lot.  If the price is a lot, but the value is not, I do not.

But I am me and you are you and I'll bet we march to the beat of different drummers. Not intended to be derogatory in the least just an observation.

John.
Not being familiar with the K12RS, I wasn't sure where the ABS unit sat. It could have been under that vast tank cover for all I knew at the time, infact some of it is. The crash damage it was spotted immediately.
The man still wants the money for a bike with ABS,that's why it's still advertised stating it's there. He would not negotiate any further and you can't negotiate with someone who , A-doesn't want to &  B-doesn't need the money.

You're not the only bloke that buys something cheap and fixes it up, I'm doing that right now so I'll get back to it. Laughing

17Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:54 am

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
Bumblebee wrote: I'll bet we march to the beat of different drummers..
I'm a tambourine man myself.

18Back to top Go down    Your advice please John. on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:09 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
So,  I'm off to look at another K12RS this weekend.
16k miles, one owner from new with luggage and apparently everything works.

Your thoughts gentlemen please.

Listen........I can hear drums beating. lol!

19Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:15 pm

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
Motorbike Mike wrote:Your thoughts gentlemen please.
Deduct for lack of checkerboard trim. Inspect the travel cases for taxidermy residue—reject on general principle if found.

20Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:16 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
Motorbike Mike wrote:Your thoughts gentlemen please.
Deduct for lack of checkerboard trim. Inspect the travel cases for taxidermy residue—reject on general principle if found.
I'm not sure about the chequerboard livery. This version isn't to my liking and why we had to suffer this insipid colour scheme over in the UK is beyond me.

However, this yellow & grey livery is far better .

You'll have to explain the taxidermy reference.

21Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:18 pm

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
Motorbike Mike wrote:You'll have to explain the taxidermy reference.
Maybe the owner of the first one you looked at owned this one, too, but gave up with self-sales.

22Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:21 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Ah, I see. I'm now hoping that's not the case.  Laughing

23Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:25 pm

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
Motorbike Mike wrote:
The oil sight-glass makes this look like an Innuit representation of an Orca

24Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
Motorbike Mike wrote:
The oil sight-glass makes this look like an Innuit representation of an Orca
Which version of the yellow do you get in the States?

25Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
I've seen only the yellow checkered variety and the blue so far. Mostly I'm on the lookout to avoid drivers from Massachusetts crossing the center lines and turning across lanes without indicating as they're bedazzled by the splendor of Vermont, or what's on their Twitterfeed. Smile

26Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
That style of driving my friend is practiced the world over.

27Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Thankfully the bike's disappeared from the site. I hope it's not been sold to an unsuspecting buyer.

28Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:06 pm

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:I've seen only the yellow checkered variety and the blue so far. Mostly I'm on the lookout to avoid drivers from Massachusetts crossing the center lines and turning across lanes without indicating as they're bedazzled by the splendor of Vermont, or what's on their Twitterfeed. Smile

Have you seen a chequered blue one??? We never got them on OZ.
There is a rich blue and a light sky blue, the latter looks magic, but as yet no one has done a chequered  one over here.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

29Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:04 pm

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Mind Mike there are a lot of so called riders that will rip the ABS of as soon as they get it because they know much better and can "outbrake some stupid ABS" any day of the week.

30Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:16 am

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Mind Mike there are a lot of so called riders that will rip the ABS of as soon as they get it because they know much better and can "outbrake some stupid ABS" any day of the week.
Well, that's up to them but when I go to buy a bike that's meant to have it fitted as standard equipment, That's what I expect to find. If however I decide to remove it when I get it home, that's another matter entirely.
I've only ever had ABS come on once in a serious fashion and it felt like a third party had let the brakes off-a horrible feeling so in all honesty I'm not a massive fan myself.
This thread was just a little tale about a sellers dishonesty.

31Back to top Go down    Re: You have to be careful don't you? on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:06 am

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
K75cster wrote:Have you seen a chequered blue one??? We never got them on OZ.
There is a rich blue and a light sky blue, the latter looks magic, but as yet no one has done a chequered  one over here.
I haven't seen one of those yet, either. I just now scanned Craigslist down the east coast and the red ones are the most common for sale so far. There was a black and white, a blue and white, and a silver and red, also. I like the K12 paint schemes. It's a large canvas and those swaths of color do something for it.

It's just more bike than I want to pound over the gravel roads where I live.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum