BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Sourcing front engine mounts rubber Empty Sourcing front engine mounts rubber Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:45 pm

FreyZI

FreyZI
Silver member
Silver member
So, thanks again for the welcome a couple of weeks ago.  As you won't remember, I am now the proud owner of a 1985 K100RT with good bones (I think) that had been abused of late.  It ("Alda", I believe she will be called; joining her sisters "Ada" (R1200R) and "Amalda" (R1100RL hack)) has been disassembled, my new parts have been flowing in (clip-ons, Ranchero fork boots, new rear disc rotor, pads, grips, etc.), and I have been loving how cheap all the aftermarket parts are.

My custom seat came in from Vietnam yesterday and I promptly blew off work to cut about 7" out of the tail of the frame and braze weld the loop back on at the end.  Maybe I'll get around to posting a mock up pic over the weekend.

So anyway, I'm getting the frame ready to go to the powder coater and pulling off anything rubber.  With some difficulty, I was able to knock out the rubber engine mounts at the front of the frame.  I also had to drill out and extract the rubber mounts for the ignition module.

Up I come to the computer to source new rubber and holy @%#&!, the engine mounts are $49.89 (EACH!) and the module mounts are $25 (EACH!).  It was easy enough to find the module mounts (at least as long as I am safe in assuming they're the same as the battery tray mounts) for $5 each on Fleabay.  Now, I haven't yet found the engine mounts at a reasonable price.  Any ideas?  I saw a post from three years ago between Erman and Inge (where the engine mounts were a mere $28 each).  So, now I know that OEM parts for these bikes are ridiculously priced.

As always, I am a tightwad, so I'm trying to figure out an alternative -- and I have to say, I think I've come up with THE elegant solution.  I go to the liquor store and buy a (fittingly) cheap bottle of wine with a dense rubber cork, head back to the grotto, pop the top, drink half, drill a hole lengthwise in the cork, cut it in half, drink remaining wine, and happily install the new engine mounts.

Hope this works. Sourcing front engine mounts rubber 22936  Meanwhile, I'm happy for your other suggestions.

Cheers,

Frey

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Nice work finding new mounts!  The only thing more appalling than the cost of rubber bits from the fatherland is the price gouging increases that BMW cranks into the system on a regular basis. 

Looking at 5-6 year old posts that mention price and when I compare to present the old price is often only half to 2/3 of what it is today.  Currency exchange rates have a great deal of influence on prices, but come on!  Is the dollar really worth half of what it was 6 years ago compared to the Euro?

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote: Is the dollar really worth half of what it was 6 years ago compared to the Euro?
No, but demand for parts is probably less than half—outside the tiny province that is K-landia.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
You're okay with the ignition module/battery tray mounts. I can't speak for the frame mounts as I've got an earlier solid-mount frame.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum