BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Who knows What This Is Please! on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:48 am

ditcha

High new on here after some of your great knowledge!

I purchased my 87 K100 LT partly stripped from a guy so I am trying to pick up the pieces, there is what I believe to be a small sensor with 2 wires of some kind on the water pump where I believe the drain plug should be could identify this for me? do I need it as the wire go nowhere could i just replace with a drain plug?

Thanks
Dave

2Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:09 am

AL-58

Life time member
Life time member
There should be 2 sensors on the water/oil pump. One is for the oil pressure, the other is a water temp sensor. Each sensor takes one wire only. There is no drain plug.

Al

'87 K100RT with Paralever backend

"money cannot buy happiness, but it can buy another K and that's the same thing"

3Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:48 am

ditcha

Hi Al thanks much appreciated which one is the oil pressure and which one the water temperature am i right in thinking the larger one of the two is the oil? The smaller one the two wires are not joined to anything she started okay like this

4Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:55 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Brown/green is the oil pressure switch and violet/black is the temperature sensor. Give what you think is a drain plug a good clean; I'm guessing that the terminal post has rotted away and cleaning it should either show up a green gungy mess or a shiny brass bit in the middle. If this is the case, Motorworks are your friend (if they aren't already!).

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

5Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:06 am

ditcha

Cheers Dai must be temp sensor it seems to have like a hard crud / bodge type material stuck around it I will give it a clean at see what's what thanks, do you know where the other end is terminated?

Thanks
Dave

6Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:31 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Somewhere in the main wiring loom. I do recall that the oil pressure sensor lead is a single-pin connector under the right-forward side of the fuel tank... mmm... I think the temperature lead has a single-pin connector there too. Don't think about running new wires yet - to do that you'll need to remove the front T-cover (over the Hall-effect sensors (ignition pickups)) and they can be a complete bastard to thread.

7Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:34 pm

ditcha

Cheers, the smaller temp sensor wires just run up the side of the engine cable tied to the hoses then the air intake then just stop there I intend to do a full strip down to paint casing etc so hopefully with find the connection then

8Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:37 pm

td5

Silver member
Silver member
If you have to thread it, use a broken clutch cable if you have one as it is perfect to thread in then tie the wire to it and pull. Cheers Mike

1988 / K100RS
2003 / R1150R
2003 / K1200RS

9Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:42 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
@ditcha wrote:Cheers Dai must be temp sensor it seems to have like a hard crud / bodge type material stuck around it I will give it a clean at see what's what thanks, do you know where the other end is terminated?

Thanks
Dave
The coolant temp sensor wire should enter the cavity in the pump housing thru a small finger sized hole just a few cm to the side of the sensor. It then finds its way thru a cavity in the timing chain cover and emerges behind the the T-shaped timing cover at the bottom. Threading it thru that route requires a little patience (good tip from td5). It then follows the HES wiring up the R/H forward frame strut EDITand connects into the fuel injection harness at a connector under the tank. (#6 - See the diagram below which is on the Trouble shooting page linked off the Portal tab. Note: the diagram is upside-down. The front is at the bottom so connector #6 is on the left as you sit on the bike)

EDIT: That wire could also possibly be the oil pressure sensor.

Last edited by Holister on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : incorrect information due to too much beer and JD on Boxing Day)

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

10Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for following that up Holister. Some of us were working unexpectedly - on Christmas Day, dammit. Alright, it didn't really matter because my wife was working also. Chrissy dinner was had today instead.

11Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:13 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Glad you eventually managed to get your Christmas dinner Dai. santa

I've corrected my post above. Too much beer and JD on Boxing Day drunken . The wiring from the water pump sensors finds its way up to the under tank connections but doesn't connect with the fuel injection harness connector.... that's the wire from the coolant sensor just below the radiator. Cheers

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

12Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Laitch

Platinum member
Platinum member
@AL-58 wrote:There should be 2 sensors on the water/oil pump. . . . There is no drain plug.
There is a drain screw though.Laughing

13Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Drain screw? Ignore it - pull the hose off and stand back. Shocked Very Happy

14Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Bumblebee

Silver member
Silver member
@Dai wrote:Drain screw? Ignore it - pull the hose off and stand back. Shocked Very Happy

Coolant Coolant everywhere! What an unholy mess!

I like the drain plug, much neater. Bumblebee likes neat when working on the bike.
Just undo the radiator cap before you drain.

- John

http://Bugsmashers.org/phpbb

15Back to top Go down    Re: Who knows What This Is Please! on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:08 pm

japuentes

Life time member
Life time member
@Laitch wrote:
@AL-58 wrote:There should be 2 sensors on the water/oil pump. . . . There is no drain plug.
There is a drain screw though.Laughing
Hi there, the original design had drain but no coolant temp indicator, so BMW put the temp indicator sensor in the drain hole.
So if want to keep the sensor and not risking damaging it, go for the hose removal method and clean the mess
Best regards
JAP

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum