BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Drive shaft universal joint on Tue 8 Jun 2010 - 19:45

robinm

Silver member
Silver member
Has any body replaced the universal joint on a K driveshaft?, if so what is the size of the universal joint? I have a shaft here that I intend to put a new spline on, but the UJ is not too good and I would like to replace that at the same time.

2Back to top Go down    Re: Drive shaft universal joint on Tue 13 May 2014 - 1:09

Fliggy

Did you ever get e reply to your post? I need to do the UJ on my drive shaft; can you give any pointers?

Many thanks.

3Back to top Go down    Re: Drive shaft universal joint on Tue 13 May 2014 - 10:21

RicK G

VIP
VIP
You need the right jig to centre the joint and at least a 10 tonne press

4Back to top Go down    Re: Drive shaft universal joint on Sat 28 Jun 2014 - 5:26

Fliggy

Right, I haven't got one of those at the mo. Thanks anyhow.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Drive shaft universal joint on Sat 28 Jun 2014 - 7:36

billtr96sn

Silver member
Silver member
Having lookedat pictures of the UJ it looks no different to a standard car type on the propshaft. I have changed hundreds of those with nothing more than a drift, large hammer, a good vice and some circlip pliers. No jigs etc.

6Back to top Go down    Re: Drive shaft universal joint on Sat 28 Jun 2014 - 8:12

AL-58

Life time member
Life time member
Its not held in by a circlip, BMW in their desire for spare parts revenue designed it to be non-replaceable.

Instead it's crimped in at the yokes.

The replacement process I've heard is:

1. grind away the crimping
  2. press out the old UJ
  3. Press the new UJ into place being careful to centre it (you have no circlip grooves to use as a guide.
  4. place suitable sized flat washers over the end of the UJ caps
  5. Tack the flat washers into place with a MIG welder (welding direct to the UJ caps would put too much heat into them and probably damage them)

I only know this from R100GS circles where the front UJ is expected to fail from about 60,000kms onwards.

Al

'87 K100RT with Paralever backend

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum