BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Drive shaft universal joint Empty Drive shaft universal joint Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:45 am

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
Has any body replaced the universal joint on a K driveshaft?, if so what is the size of the universal joint? I have a shaft here that I intend to put a new spline on, but the UJ is not too good and I would like to replace that at the same time.

2Back to top Go down   Drive shaft universal joint Empty Re: Drive shaft universal joint Mon May 12, 2014 12:09 pm

Fliggy

Fliggy
Did you ever get e reply to your post? I need to do the UJ on my drive shaft; can you give any pointers?

Many thanks.

3Back to top Go down   Drive shaft universal joint Empty Re: Drive shaft universal joint Mon May 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You need the right jig to centre the joint and at least a 10 tonne press

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Drive shaft universal joint Empty Re: Drive shaft universal joint Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Fliggy

Fliggy
Right, I haven't got one of those at the mo. Thanks anyhow.

5Back to top Go down   Drive shaft universal joint Empty Re: Drive shaft universal joint Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:36 pm

billtr96sn

billtr96sn
Silver member
Silver member
Having lookedat pictures of the UJ it looks no different to a standard car type on the propshaft. I have changed hundreds of those with nothing more than a drift, large hammer, a good vice and some circlip pliers. No jigs etc.

6Back to top Go down   Drive shaft universal joint Empty Re: Drive shaft universal joint Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:12 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Its not held in by a circlip, BMW in their desire for spare parts revenue designed it to be non-replaceable.

Instead it's crimped in at the yokes.  

The replacement process I've heard is:

1. grind away the crimping
  2. press out the old UJ
  3. Press the new UJ into place being careful to centre it (you have no circlip grooves to use as a guide.
  4. place suitable sized flat washers over the end of the UJ caps
  5. Tack the flat washers into place with a MIG welder (welding direct to the UJ caps would put too much heat into them and probably damage them)

I only know this from R100GS circles where the front UJ is expected to fail from about 60,000kms onwards.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Drive shaft universal joint K-dogs10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum