BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Empty Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:59 am

Cablebeacher

Silver member
Silver member
Hi all

Six months ago I had the dreaded fuel pump black rubber boot goo issue. I cleaned it all up, flushed the tank etc, replaced all the filters, purchased new BMW rubber boot and pump filter. Put it all back together after cleaning the pump and it all worked well.

Have been away on holidays for a month and went to start the bike. Nothing. The tell-tale "no noise after hitting the start button" left me to go through the usual fuse, wiring, etc checks to narrow it all down to fuel pump seized again.

Imaging my shock horror surprise when I removed the fuel pump to find the new rubber boot had disintegrated and put black goo through the tank and into the pump!

I contacted the parts supplier in Perth. They have said the boot is not covered by warranty as it is immersed in fuel. My initial thought is "well yes - that's the whole point of the boot".  I purchased a genuine BMW part (A$150) as I assumed it would be better than a cheap aftermarket item. The parts supplier is recommending a different part for another A$150 which is said to be "less likely" to fail in fuel...

I am not overconfident throwing another amount of money at a potential solution that could also fail in a few months.

I have searched the forums and have gleaned information about making a boot out of fuel resistant materials. Could people out there send me any information relating to this issue only?

Also I have read about ethanol perhaps causing the fault. How do I find out if the local servo has ethanol or other additives in the fuel? I use 91 octane unleaded.

regards

Mal
Broome
Western Australia

2Back to top Go down   Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Empty Re: Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:26 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I always assume 91 has ethanol and don't even use it in my lawn mower. Ethanol is the likely cause, 98 or 95 in a pinch
EME will have the rubber damper http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/1639.htm

The pump for a VL commodore will do the job at a heaps lower price http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EFI-Electric-Fuel-Pump-NEW-Commodore-VL-TURBO-070-Bosch-Skyline-Falcon-V6-V8-BMW-/282338435376?hash=item41bcaea130:g:45EAAOxyrx5TkY3T

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Empty Re: Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:09 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I put only premium 95 oct in the K100. Regulations may be different over in WA but I think they have to state if the fuel has ethanol in it. Maybe hit the fuel company up for the damage.
Also, Australian Consumer Law (ACL) states that "goods must be fit for their intended purpose". Your parts supplier' s excuse that it's not guaranteed is bullshit. Contact your local Fair Trading .wa.gov.au.  .... whatever it's called.

Ive found the $80 Chinese pump off eBay is ok. Just make sure it has the right connections. 
I think I ordered the pump fittings from Motorworks in the UK. My last order from them arrived in 4 days and their prices and freight are cheaper.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

4Back to top Go down   Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Empty Re: Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:03 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
If it was sold to you for a K then the supplier knows it is immersed in fuel. If he sold it to you in the country it is being fitted then it has to suit the fuel being legally sold there and if that includes ethanol then that's covered too unless there is a warning on it. It has to 'be fit for purpose' as in its correct designed use and if it's not its money back time.

You can be kind to him and tell him you want a replacement correct part, or if he doesn't play ball you can throw the book at him and take the K to a main dealer to sort the whole lot out and give you a report and then go legal, which will cost him a lot more.

I had that sort of crap with a Mercedes and by the time I had it sorted it cost the dealer quite a bit more than if he had played fair and honest.

The slight problem is that same fuel pump in the K is used in quite a few other cars, Lancia Thema, Fiat Croma, Alfa, Peugeot and more and I am not sure of they are all in tank applications so the damper part no. has to be the BMW one. But if sold to you for the k then there is no argument.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

5Back to top Go down   Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Empty Re: Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Dinosaur

Dinosaur
I'm guessing you got the part from Munich Motorcycles in Perth. I've had many dealings with them and always had good service. Before you get stuck into them I suggest checking out the fuel supplier.
Doug

;BMW; 1985 K-100RS #0084201 & 2007 K-1200 GTSE

6Back to top Go down   Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Empty Re: Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:45 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
As far as I know all 91 Octane sold by BP has 10% ethanol in it in Oz and the others majors don't.  It will say so on the pump.  

If you buy parts from EME as suggested by Rick, then they use FedEx to get it here and it takes four days to the east coast.  As the postage is expensive, I find it easier to order a few items to ease the cost.  I suggest buying a couple of oil filters and a fuel filter at the same time.  You'll probably get a discount if you buy more than two filters.  It may even work out cheaper than Munich's. 

If you buy the VL fuel pump on ebay then you need to buy a sock filter as the basket one on the pump does not fit.  10mm orifice (IIRC) which is smaller than the BMW later model fuel pump one.  You can get them out of Melbourne for about $9.00.

7Back to top Go down   Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Empty Re: Fuel pump rubber suspension boot Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:52 am

Kafflut

Kafflut
Silver member
Silver member
Cablebeacher wrote: The parts supplier is recommending a different part for another A$150 which is said to be "less likely" to fail in fuel...

I am not overconfident throwing another amount of money at a potential solution that could also fail in a few months.

I have searched the forums and have gleaned information about making a boot out of fuel resistant materials. Could people out there send me any information relating to this issue only?

I've done a modification for the fuel pump arrangement on my K100. It's cheap and it works - I doubt it will cost you more than A$20. I made the damper out of polyurethane. My "answer" to OEM stuff has been in the tank for over 2 years and I've had no problem with it. Details at

http://bmwk100k75.weebly.com/fuel-pump.html

http://bmwk100k75.weebly.com/

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum