BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hazard lights on?? Empty Hazard lights on?? Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
HI Guys,

K100RS (1983) been sat for about 2 weeks (holiday) Went to turn it over this evening as needed for commute to work in the morning and as I turned the key all 4 indicators started flashing like hazard lights. As I don't have the switch for hazards I was a bit confused. Turn key off and removed it but they carried on flashing! So I thought I would see if she would start and she did, first time and seemed to tick over fine, fair bit of smoke (but on the side stand as centre stand broken) so not uncommon. After a couple of seconds (20-30) they stopped, all lights work as they should!

Just a bit worried about taking it in tomorrow as don't want to get half way and then be stuck. 

Any ideas anyone, problem? or should I just put it down to the gremlins?

Many thanks

Dave

Last edited by Davep on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : year added)

2Back to top Go down   Hazard lights on?? Empty Re: Hazard lights on?? Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:09 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no idea dave

but could thee cable for the switch still be sitting somewhere ?

perhaps if it had a short to ground (that's how they work ) the system would have done the flashing stuff that it does ?
might be a good idea to have a bit of a look around the steering head and dash pad ?

I can only offer a suggestion that I would do

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Hazard lights on?? Empty Re: Hazard lights on?? Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:36 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check fuse #7. Use a meter don't just have a look and the starter brushes they give an earth path for the load shed relay and are well known for all sorts of weird issues.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Hazard lights on?? Empty Re: Hazard lights on?? Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:45 am

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
I'm with Rick (Guru) G....Worn starter motor brushes and/or carbon dust encrusted starter motor can cause all sorts weird issues!!

5Back to top Go down   Hazard lights on?? Empty Re: Hazard lights on?? Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:22 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Davep wrote:HI Guys,

.... as I turned the key all 4 indicators started flashing like hazard lights. As I don't have the switch for hazards I was a bit confused. Turn key off and removed it but they carried on flashing! 
They were flashing like hazard lights probably because the hazard light function may have been activated. As charlie said, it could be a short from the old switch wire around the head stock but its also possible you could have an old security system installed. They tend to malfunction when they get neglected and then they get ripped out. All four flashing for around 20 to 30 seconds as you said, sounds to me like a security system may have set them off.
IF this is the case, there's a connector for the security system in the electrical box. Disconnect it and terminate the power to the system.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Hazard lights on?? Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

6Back to top Go down   Hazard lights on?? Empty Re: Hazard lights on?? Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for all the help guys! When the weather gets a bit warmer I'll have a proper look but at the moment there's no problems! Weird!!

I'll let you all know what I find!

Thanks again! Dave

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum