BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jonas Bodin

Hello!

I'm changing the original cluster for an aftermarket "all in one"-speedometer.

My first question is if the lamp monitoring needs to be connected to anything? I don't feel the need of the luxury of lamp monitoringbut of course want the bike to work properly Cool

The second question is if the cancel relay signal(blue/green, no21) needs to be connected? I'm guessing it has something to do with theautomatic cancelling of the turn signals? Doesn't feel the need of this luxury either, but againwant's to know if it will affect the bike in any way to justleave it out?

Third and last I wonder ifit's possible to use the speedometer illumination(grey/blue, no24) as a +12V source to indicate that the lights are on? I.e. will there be +12Von thiscablewhen the lights are turned on?(And no feed when the lights are off?)

/Jonas

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
The Bulb monitoring unit can be completely bypassed, something that you need to do when you fit LED rear light bulbs. The diagram for doing it is on this forum somewhere as it has been covered many times. Mine has been eliminated and has been working fine for years now.

Jonas Bodin

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
This may be simpler to follow.
Remove the BMU and insert jumper wires as per the diagram below. You'll just need some spade connectors from an auto or electronics store to crimp on the ends.
Don't throw the BMU away. Pass it on to someone in need or sell it on ebay.

@Jonas Bodin wrote:Third and last I wonder ifit's possible to use the speedometer illumination(grey/blue, no24) as a +12V source to indicate that the lights are on? I.e. will there be +12Von thiscablewhen the lights are turned on?(And no feed when the lights are off?)
Yes. Instrument lights are switched off the main R/H light switch. In some parts of the world (like the US) this switch was later removed and lights remained on all the time. All later (16v ??) K-bikes were the same.
IMO tho... its very annoying to have a dash light glaring in your eyes constantly while you're riding at night and it can affect your vision of the road ahead. The instrument lights are just a dim glow. I would leave it out.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Jonas Bodin

@Holister wrote:This may be simpler to follow.
Remove the BMU and insert jumper wires as per the diagram below. You'll just need some spade connectors from an auto or electronics store to crimp on the ends.
Don't throw the BMU away. Pass it on to someone in need or sell it on ebay.

@Jonas Bodin wrote:Third and last I wonder ifit's possible to use the speedometer illumination(grey/blue, no24) as a +12V source to indicate that the lights are on? I.e. will there be +12Von thiscablewhen the lights are turned on?(And no feed when the lights are off?)
Yes. Instrument lights are switched off the main R/H light switch. In some parts of the world (like the US) this switch was later removed and lights remained on all the time. All later (16v ??) K-bikes were the same.
IMO tho... its very annoying to have a dash light glaring in your eyes constantly while you're riding at night and it can affect your vision of the road ahead. The instrument lights are just a dim glow. I would leave it out.

Thank's for your help!

Getting closer to sorting the Electrics out Smile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum