BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
As a few of you may have read I've just been out in Spain for 2 months. I gave a very low mileage K100 Naked a bit of love and we towed it down there with the intention of leaving it there and bringing home my R1200R which I think the world of.
I pulled the K out of the trailer and we had a good three weeks of cool and sunny winter riding. I was amazed at the engine-way in front of the chassis. On the twisty mountain roads the K was smooth, torquey and surprisingly lively. The smooth suited the bike perfectly but while adequate I did find the brakes hard work with both of us on board-never unsafe though.
Eventually I put the battery back on the R12 and we went for a ride affraid  and that's what 24 years of development gets you. Light, very responsive handling, killer breaks and stunning economy-always 55mpg and sometimes +
I got chatting over net and the chap offered me a good price for the K, offered a deposit so I've sold it. EEK! That's my confession over and done with.
After I'd agreed the sale I rode the K again and immediately noticed a huge difference between the two bikes. The K changed gear so smooth ans was smooth on and off the throttle. I jumped back on the R and it was really unpleasant to ride, jerky, clanky and an embarrassment if I'm honest. I decided to have a look at the shaft assembly with the few tools I have out there to find the gearbox end of the drive completely knackered but the bevel end in perfect condition-go figure! The bike has only covered 13800 miles too!!!

At this point I'm feeling smug with these 2 lovely bike to choose from...

....to no bikes to choose from. One sold and the other worn out.

I've brought the K back with me and I'm having the R12 transported back home so no bike in Spain-for now.
I've bought this 2004 one owner 12000 mile K1200RS to help with the grieving process. I'll ride it over to Spain later this year.

Why did I sell the K100?  Because all day at this pace tired us both out and as we ride most days it was taking the fun out of it which isn't the point of riding bikes is it?

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
You heretic!
Know where You're coming from, Mike. While I still have a soft spot for K's, as you say, a quarter of a century's development does show.
I find that I can go much further on the GS with less effort. It's just easier to ride.
I do take a notion of picking up another brick every now and again, but as they move into classic status, prices are getting a bit silly, plus, I can't be bothered working at them anymore. 
See Sherlock has a few very low mile Japanese imported K's and have been tempted, but to have a bike and not use it, seems pointless to me.
Those K1200's are still good value with a modern chassis but a bit on the lardy side for me. Make sure you get the brake fluid changed regularly or you'll need deep pockets!
Here's mine out last Saturday near Kells, doing the first Irish Photo Rally point for this year. Over 40k miles on it now.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Looking good there John.
Narrow 'bars don't help when riding a K on twisty roads all day, I get tired.
I still have 2 Bricks and I'm collecting another one on Tuesday that I bought off eBay for £16-no kidding. I'm planning on a bit of a build in the coming months if the Motor's OK so I still have K's in the herd.  Very Happy

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
After starting my life working in mechanical engineering, I switched to information technology (IT).
IT is constantly evolving and I enjoy the challenge of this ever changing world. But..... when it comes to bikes, I am not ready to switch to a more modern bike. The old K bike is a good balance of performances and reliability. Newer bikes are to complicated to thinker with them and it's taking the fun away.

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
Having spent nearly 4 years now working on three bricks I see them as relatively simple, incredibly reliable machines.  I feel perfectly comfortable hopping on any one of them and leaving for the West Coast 2500 miles away.  With a few tools and a rescue package I can have posted to wherever I need it, I am sure I can get these bikes home with minimum inconvenience.

Looking at the models past the K1100 I am somewhat intimidated by the quantum leap BMW has made in the complexity of these machines.  When I look at things like servo assist ABS it becomes clear to me that these are not machines to be repaired at the side of the road.   It means almost every problem requires a trip to the dealer to be connected to some piece of diagnostic hardware accompanied by a large amount of cash. 

I suppose for someone with the expendable resources they are a good choice, especially if they can trade in for a new ride before the warranty runs out.  I know several riders who have this situation, but none of them use their bikes like I do.  Where I ride solo for long distances, they commute to the office and meet up for Sunday morning breakfast runs or a 250 mile weekend trip. 

I have yet to see the K bikes reach real classic status with rising prices.  Prices are still dropping as far as I can see.  The silver lining is that prices for spares are dropping or steady as well.  The good news is that I can't imagine a more economical machine to get what I get in my bricks.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
@Crazy Frog wrote:After starting my life working in mechanical engineering, I switched to information technology (IT).
IT is constantly evolving and I enjoy the challenge of this ever changing world. But..... when it comes to bikes, I am not ready to switch to a more modern bike. The old K bike is a good balance of performances and reliability. Newer bikes are to complicated to thinker with them and it's taking the fun away.
I totally agree with you about the tinkering. I like a modern bike in the garage but always have something that I can get involved in. That's why I've just bought this, my £16 eBay purchase.

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
@Point-Seven-five wrote:Having spent nearly 4 years now working on three bricks I see them as relatively simple, incredibly reliable machines.  I feel perfectly comfortable hopping on any one of them and leaving for the West Coast 2500 miles away.  With a few tools and a rescue package I can have posted to wherever I need it, I am sure I can get these bikes home with minimum inconvenience.

Looking at the models past the K1100 I am somewhat intimidated by the quantum leap BMW has made in the complexity of these machines.  When I look at things like servo assist ABS it becomes clear to me that these are not machines to be repaired at the side of the road.   It means almost every problem requires a trip to the dealer to be connected to some piece of diagnostic hardware accompanied by a large amount of cash. 

I suppose for someone with the expendable resources they are a good choice, especially if they can trade in for a new ride before the warranty runs out.  I know several riders who have this situation, but none of them use their bikes like I do.  Where I ride solo for long distances, they commute to the office and meet up for Sunday morning breakfast runs or a 250 mile weekend trip. 

I have yet to see the K bikes reach real classic status with rising prices.  Prices are still dropping as far as I can see.  The silver lining is that prices for spares are dropping or steady as well.  The good news is that I can't imagine a more economical machine to get what I get in my bricks.
The prices of bikes and spares have levelled out here. The fact that people chop a good one up at every opportunity means that good bikes are thinning out a little. On the plus side there are stacks of fairings and seats for sale.

charlie99

VIP
VIP
@Motorbike Mike wrote:
@Crazy Frog wrote:After starting my life working in mechanical engineering, I switched to information technology (IT).
I totally agree with you about the tinkering. I like a modern bike in the garage but always have something that I can get involved in. That's why I've just bought this, my £16 eBay purchase.

damn  ...what a buy ...woohoo !

sooo envious ....giggles

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
@charlie99 wrote:
@Motorbike Mike wrote:

damn  ...what a buy ...woohoo !

sooo envious ....giggles
Hee hee. We'll see if its a good buy next week when I collect it.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum