BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Despite advertising and awareness campaigns, drivers still continue to use their mobile phones while driving. Police in the city here in Sydney have stepped up their campaign against drivers using phones. I've seen quite a few being booked as I walk thru the city on a regular basis.... but they still don't get it. I regularly honk my horn and wag my finger at drivers using their phone. Most ignore me, give me the finger or shout back abuse.

This 6 car pile-up, just up the road from me on the Pacific Highway happened around midday today. The driver ploughed at full speed into the back of cars stopped at the lights. I spoke to the police on the scene and they said it appears she may have been texting.

The unfortunate thing here is that it was the person in the car in front that was transported to hospital by ambulance. I shudder to think what would've happened if it was a motorcyclist sitting at those lights, like my daughter who rides nearly every day around the city, rain or shine. This is not only a city problem. I've seen drivers in the country using mob ph as well.

As a group of dedicated motorcyclists, we need to be aware that this sort of behavior has a greater impact on our safety than other vehicle users on the road and be a part of the solution. Here are things we can do...
• Honk your horn at drivers when you see them on a phone.
• You can even report them to police if you can remember their license plate number when you stop. In Australia we have a Police Assist line specifically set up to handle complaints like this.
• Talk to people about this problem, especially young drivers.

Cagers are just too complacent about how they use the road.

Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

brickrider2

Silver member
Silver member
Well said!  This is a menace that seems to be underestimated by the majority of drivers.  It's as big a threat to public safety as driving under the influence of alcohol, yet....
I encountered such a driver about one month ago.  She pulled out from a stop immediately into my path.  I would have t-boned the car had I not been riding very slowly.  The driver and her trusty cellphone, trying to kill me.   affraid

Last edited by brickrider2 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
We get all sorts round these parts, yapping away (or worse, texting) on their hand held mobile phones - both in the city and around town. I often see drivers of Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs), over sized tractors with even bigger trailer loads (should be in their fields not on the road!), vans (the dreaded white van man sect), cars and cyclists. I've never actually seen a motorcyclist using a mobile phone while riding - but I guess we've got to be included otherwise some eejit would do it and get away with it. It's been illegal in the UK for sometime now, but has recently has seen an increase in the penalty.

It’s illegal to use a hand-held phone or similar device while driving, or riding a motorcycle.
The rules are the same if you’re stopped at traffic lights or queuing in traffic.
It’s also illegal to use a hand-held phone or similar device when supervising a learner driver or rider.
Penalties for using your phone while driving
You could get 6 penalty points on your licence and a fine of £200.
Your case could also go to court and you could be disqualified from driving or riding and get a maximum fine of £1,000. Drivers of buses or goods vehicles could get a maximum fine of £2,500.

However, the increased penalty doesn't seem to have deterred the usual offenders...too few getting caught in the act. Next time I see an HGV offender (there are a couple of depots near me)...and catch them on camera, I won't go to the police...I'll provide the footage direct to the HGV company and hopefully the a-hole will get the sack.

Paul  

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donner" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
I got UNDERtaken at a set of traffic lights yesterday by a woman doing her mascara....

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Eleven or twelve years ago my wife and I were waiting at a narrow bridge which had traffic flow controlled by standard traffic lights. The local school bus appeared, the driver traversing the bridge with one hand and a mobile phone in the other.

We noted the bus number and reported it to the bus company. Some weeks later we get a letter (yes an old fashioned paper letter!) from the company to say that the driver had been sacked (fired for those that don't know the term 'sacked')

Mike

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Yep, you see this kind of ignorant behavior all the time.
I honked at a bloke driving in the overtaking (3rd) lane on a Motorway a few weeks back-he was texting! affraid

The thing that has always annoyed me is that it's cheaper to get a hands free kit in the car than it is to pay the fine.
These drivers deserve large fines and everything that coming to them, their victims don't.

RT

Life time member
Life time member
Is it just me or do motorcyclists drive cars in a safer manner. Maybe new drivers should have to do a few months commuting on a bike to scare the pants off them.
I reckon almost every time I go out on 2 wheels I have to avoid a potentially serious encounter with a car let alone worrying about hairy marsupials and falling branches.
Back to my Bonox and slippers.
RT

flea

that's why its a laugh (sarcasm) when you see utube photos of cops driving while using their phs ... matter of do as we say not do as we do ... there is a video on utube of a bike rider steering with his feet while texting with both hands on his ph , hopefully a 1 off as a joke ... personally hate the bloody things  (m/phs that is) and wont own one.....they should double the peniltys for using them /or disqualify them from owning a ph as it doesn't seem to be getting through to the idiots at the moment... by they way one of the idiots almost collected me last week

charlie99

VIP
VIP
@Motorbike Mike wrote:Yep, you see this kind of ignorant behavior all the time.
I honked at a bloke driving in the overtaking (3rd) lane on a Motorway a few weeks back-he was texting! affraid

The thing that has always annoyed me is that it's cheaper to get a hands free kit in the car than it is to pay the fine.
These drivers deserve large fines and everything that coming to them, their victims don't.

yep agree  with this.... big time
but these users aren't known for being smart at all... are they ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

Bumblebee

Silver member
Silver member
My phone has a mode that will suppress texting not alerting the user it's come in.  After the phone disconnects from bluetooth it will sound a signal a text has been received.

IMHO -

Why not extend this to the telephone portion on an nonvolunteer  basis. Most phones have GPS receivers, all of them have a location function and can tell when they are moving.  Once in motion over 5 MPH the phone shuts off, once it's been under 5 MPH for 5 minutes back on?  Any phone call, even on the speaker phone is considered "immersive" and should not be allowed in a car.

I wonder why this hasn't been done yet?

Need to make a call when driving?  Get off the road and stop, THEN make you call.

- John

http://Bugsmashers.org/phpbb

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum