BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    K100rs starting on two cylinders ? on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:32 am

Peterk100rs

So been riding my bike now a couple of weeks and loving it . But its getting more difficult to start.
So Normally i don't touch the throttle and just hit the button and it starts.
If I touch the throttle when starting the bike will flood and never start.

What Ive had to do is jump it off my car battery as me trying to start it seems to run battery down.
My thoughts are that it aint starting on all cylinders but I may be wrong.
Took the plugs out and they where wet and black so bugger that .

Anyway when i do get it started it sounds lumpy until it runs for a while then you could drive it all day without any problems.

I don't think its a fuel problem ,unless its too rich but i think I may have a electric issue .
Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

2Back to top Go down    Re: K100rs starting on two cylinders ? on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:16 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Sounds like it may have plug, leads or coil problems

3Back to top Go down    Re: K100rs starting on two cylinders ? on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Peterk100rs

@RicK G wrote:Sounds like it may have plug, leads or coil problems
yeah Im gonna try to replace leads and plug caps if i can get others rather than the crazy expensive BMW ones.
Just had it on a 30 mile trip to MOT centre, passed the test, never missed a beat and idled perfect at all stops .
So its just cold start is the issue.

4Back to top Go down    Re: K100rs starting on two cylinders ? on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:46 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
I have found that if the battery is weak , starting can be a bugga

put the battery on a small charger 4 amp type for a good 8 hours at least

don't forget to clean the battery to gearbox connecting cable ...or even better get a new bigger cable for this

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

5Back to top Go down    Re: K100rs starting on two cylinders ? on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Laitch

Platinum member
Platinum member
@Peterk100rs wrote:yeah Im gonna try to replace leads and plug caps if i can get others rather than the crazy expensive BMW ones.
Here are a couple of interesting post about leads and caps, Peterk. There is this one and then there is this other one.

6Back to top Go down    Re: K100rs starting on two cylinders ? on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:34 am

Peterk100rs

New plug leads fitted and bike started first time , still sound lumpy though . Took it for a spin and it was fine . Gonna go valve clearances next .

7Back to top Go down    Re: K100rs starting on two cylinders ? on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:09 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
good plan

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum