BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Microsoft Windows warning on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Today I spent time to try to fix a problem on a friend's computer.
The old HP Presario A900 has been updated to Windows 10 since last July and was working great.
One of the latest update screwed it up. The sound driver doesn't work anymore because it's not signed by Micro$oft and the reply from them was "This computer is too old and is not compatible" Pure Bullshit! It was working fine until a week ago!
My best advise, is for people to disable the updates on Windows 10.
Every updates makes the computer slower and doesn't give you a lot of extras.
The latest scam from Micro$oft is to have the updates downloaded before they are officially published. YEAH! would you like to be a micro$oft beta tester?
How to disable updates:

Last edited by Crazy Frog on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down    Re: Microsoft Windows warning on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:21 am

Point-Seven-five

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the information. I thought it was just my imagination that Microsoft's "updates" were a corporate strategy to slowly kill our machines, forcing us into new hardware and the associated license fees for the new machine's operating system.

I have noticed it with my machines going all the way back to the late 90's, but it got really bad with Windows XP. Every "update" made the machine run slower and have more problems.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down    Re: Microsoft Windows warning on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:05 am

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
I don't run Windoze as all of the computers in this house have Ubuntu Linux on them. Windoze is a commercial OS whereas Ubuntu is free and does not come with any underhand tactics at all.
If you find an old laptop that has Windoze XP on and install Ubuntu instead, you will find the thing flies in comparison due to lack of bloatware.
There is very little that you cannot do on Ubuntu Linux these days the you can on Windoze, and everything is free.

4Back to top Go down    Re: Microsoft Windows warning on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:50 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
I disabled Windows altogether last year and threw it out the window. cheers Hate Win 10 with a passion.
I went and bought a Macbook Pro instead. I'm sad to say that I'm even less impressed.
Over priced, over rated and grossly under featured. I think Apple have all their customers brainwashed. Their operating system is out of the Arc (mmm... just had a visual of Noah checking the rain radar Laughing )
The new Macbook Pro has only three ports. A 3.5mm audio jack and 2 minute USB 'C' ports, one of which is needed to plug the charger in. They will soon have no audio jack at all.
And to top it off, the machine is a total slug.

Its all about the greedy dollar and unfortunately Microsoft have gone the same way over the passed few years.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

5Back to top Go down    Re: Microsoft Windows warning on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:22 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Okay... I'm the dissenting voice here. Let me get my tech-eng soapbox out.

Don't blame Microsoft. Blame the scammers, virus-writers, malware-slingers, spear-phishers and all the rest of the scum who go actively looking for operating system/program errors to part you from your identity and money. If it wasn't for those bastards there would be no need to issue regular O/S updates which wreck the operating system speed on computers of minimal spec.

No, I'm not a Windows 10 fan; I run Windows 7 at home and at work and and won't be moving any time soon, but for testing and problem reproduction purposes I run all current operating systems on a virtual machine cluster. Windows 10 was designed from the ground up to protect users from themselves i.e. if the user won't manually patch the O/S, then the O/S will patch itself. There's no more 'user-is-the-beta-tester' in this than there was in the old manual patch system. It simply is not possible to test all available combinations of hardware and software so someone is going to suffer from an update that cripples their machine. Yes, I've been there... Very Happy

In your case Bert, the problem was not Microsoft but HP who have not provided a Windows 10-compatible sound driver for the Presario A900. 'Not compatible' doesn't mean 'it won't run' as you have found out, until you hit that type of roadblock. Last week we found someone running Windows 7 on a Pentium (speed not known) with 1Gb RAM and was using that PC for GUI testing. Definately 'not compatible' but it was running, albeit with all the speed of a drunken slug but the customer was blaming the GUI test software for spraying errors like wedding confetti.

None of the *nix systems are fully immune either, Apple included, despite what they'd have you believe. The basic core may be as close to bombproof as possible, but it's still possible to get control of the machine through a simple SQL-injection attack or directory traversal as soon as an infected email is opened. There's just not enough *nix systems in home use (Apple excepted) to make it worthwhile for the aforesaid scum to spend their time figuring out an attack vector. Yet. It will happen.

And... if any of you are running internet-connected 'smart' washing machines, 'smart' security cameras etc. on their default settings you're almost certainly a participant in at least one active botnet that's being used to attack someone's website, launch a spam campaign or fire off a ransomware attack. From connection and switch-on to infection the time is as little ninety (90) seconds.

Finally (and after this I'll kick the soapbox back under the bench), your internet security package is actually likely to be a bigger brake on the system than the O/S itself is. It sits there and checks everything that's going on, investigating every executable and dll before it's allowed to run freely (unless the .exe and .dll is already listed as 'safe').

I've no idea whether I've muddied the water or clarified it. However, my final thought for you is that blaming Microsoft for issuing security updates is the equivalent of shooting the messenger.

Big thumb

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

6Back to top Go down    Re: Microsoft Windows warning on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 am

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Until the last round of updates, Microsoft was giving you a warning that a driver was not signed but you had the option to install it. Now, the option is gone and the computer become a paper weight (unless you reload it and stop updating).
This would be the equivalent for Dept.Of Transportation to tell you that since 2017, all cars sold in Canada must be equipped with a backup camera (True), but if you have a 2016 without this option, you cannot use this car anymore. affraid
About the certified drivers:
Each hardware manufacturer have to pay Micro$oft to get their drivers certified. In the case of older computers, manufacturers won't spend the money because it won't bring extra sales for them.

Apple:
I got rid of my Macbook pro for basically for the same reasons as Holister doesn't like his.
I was plugging it on the TV and watching movies. Then an IOS update was installed. Guess what, the expensive Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter stopped working and had never been fixed for the next 6 months.

Linux?... I was running it on my Chromebook, then I installed an update. OOPS, the trackpad stopped working.

Back to the typewriter and I will mail a newsletter every week. lol!

7Back to top Go down    Re: Microsoft Windows warning on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Bumblebee

Silver member
Silver member
My guess is that Microsoft will have Windows 10 working fairly well before we are forced to move it it. We have another three years at least before this happens.

When 10 was first introduced, daily sometimes twice a day there were "updates" - simply Microsoft discovering vulnerabilities and defects and trying to fix them. The update routine is slowing down these days. Windows seven was like this at first, now it's proven to be a good solid operating system.

There is a way to turn Windows 10 updates off, see the video above, but that option hasn't become available until recently.

My suggestion to you is wait a few more years before you upgrade. If you buy a new computer you don't have a choice. It just comes.

- John

http://Bugsmashers.org/phpbb

8Back to top Go down    Re: Microsoft Windows warning on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Think again.... Microsoft have already stopped serving updates to Windows 7 et.al. if it's installed on the latest (7th) generation of processors. Only 'critical security updates' (not 'security updates') will be allowed to install - you have to go to Windows 10 if you want full protection.

Windows 7 is end-of-lifed in three years (2020). Windows 8 and 8.1 are EOL'd next January (2018) and Windows 10 initial release (read this carefully!) on the 23rd of next month.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

9Back to top Go down    Re: Microsoft Windows warning on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
If you are like me experiencing problems with the computer going on sleep after 1 or 2 minutes, here is the solution:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-keeps-going-into-sleep-after-1-minute/787e8cea-32ce-4ea0-a281-13c32a75352d?auth=1

Be careful when editing /modifying the registry.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum