BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
Have you ever wondered what's inside that bulge in the centre section of a 16v K exhaust? I have.
I bought a large proportion of a K1100RS last week from Devon to help me get all my spare K parts into/onto one bike-more of this project later...at least the wife bought that story anyway. Very Happy
Once I'd got the exhaust off the engine I thought I'd investigate the innards because I had an idle hour on my hands. Twisted Evil

Weirdly the branch that mates 1 & 4 doesn't mate into a continuous pipe like 2 & 3. It turns into the bulge under the gearbox, into it's own chamber then onward into the silencer.

All the gasses go up into the silencer then back down into this chamber where they exit out through the open ended pipe at the back. The exercise for me will be to join the two pipes I've cut, shorten the outlet pipe and I'll then weld a plate over the side. I should sound nice but look stock.

More to follow. Laughing

Ringfad

Life time member
Life time member
I have wondered and thanks for posting

Was anything connected to the pipe marked with a star ?

;BMW;K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 51KKm ;BMW;K1100RSRed 1993 70k miles ;BMW; K100 16V Black (ex ElectricMonk)

Motorbike Mike

Life time member
Life time member
@Ringfad wrote:I have wondered and thanks for posting

Was anything connected to the pipe marked with a star ?

No. The gasses come back down into this chamber from the silencer and exit out through that pipe. I looked into the end of the silencer and you can see straight down to the other end of the "star" pipe.

I hope this crude diagram shows the flow paths a little better.

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
@Motorbike Mike wrote:should sound nice but look stock.
Thanks Mike - you've confirmed what I've long suspected in that the colostomy bag was nothing more than a damping chamber.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I bought a large proportion of a K1100RS last week from Devon to help me get all my spare K parts into/onto one bike-more of this project later...at least the wife bought that story anyway.

That's an interesting way of tidying the bike shed.....food for thought........Iam looking at enough stuff in my shed that needs tidyingto make 2 non runningKsinto one running LTtoo. Even have colour matched bits thanks to Will.

Only thing needed would be a tank, tyres, time and tinkling. But that would mean parking the RT instead of riding it.

Last edited by 92KK 84WW Olaf on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : BobT)

BobT

Life time member
Life time member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:
Only thing needed would be a tank tyres time and tinkling. But that would mean parking the RT instead of riding it.
Olaf why would you fit tank tyres to your bike? Don't tell me that you now have 8 sets of panniers fitted and the standard tyres can't cope with the weight.

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Bob,

Original post edited!

Now that you mention it Ido seem to have quite a few panniers.....and they aren't all little black numbers.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum