BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Wanted RS brake hose on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:38 am

werewasi

werewasi
Platinum member
Platinum member
I need to replace the rigid brake pipe (blocked) that goes in the head stem of the RS and connects to the two hoses going to the front discs. Any one got a spare they wish to sell?
Maybe the same an RT, I don't know

K100RS  1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay)  Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

2Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Re: Wanted RS brake hose on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 am

blaKey

blaKey
Life time member
Life time member
Can't clear the blockage?

Maybe try to unblock it using an ultrasonic cleaner?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Re: Wanted RS brake hose on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

4Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Re: Wanted RS brake hose on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
FFS! I've just thrown 2 full sets away thinking that no one will ever want them-BUGGER, Crying or Very sad

5Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Re: Wanted RS brake hose on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:11 pm

blaKey

blaKey
Life time member
Life time member
Evil or Very Mad

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Re: Wanted RS brake hose on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:29 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Dave - if you fail to get one in Anzacland, PM me. I have one here which you can have FOC.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

7Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Re: Wanted RS brake hose on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:28 am

werewasi

werewasi
Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks dai, but I've stuffed up a bit on this one.

RS we are getting ready for sale had a blocked line to front discs. I've had a detached retina problem so my mate has been doing the work and i misunderstood what part it was, that was required.
Turns out that it was actually the short section with banjos on both ends between front master cylinder and the rigid pipe.

Found a local brake shop that made one up for me and i opted for rubber hose rather than stainless pipe -$44, which seemed OK. Stainless is twice that price.

I'm puzzled though why when i look at the hose on my 83 RS the hose seems longer - say 180mm, whereas this one is only 120mm centre to centre of banjo.

any ideas ?

K100RS  1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay)  Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

8Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Re: Wanted RS brake hose on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:38 am

werewasi

werewasi
Platinum member
Platinum member
@blaKey wrote:Evil or Very Mad

sorry, just seen your post.. As you'll see the problem wasn't quite what i thought it was.. The rubber bit is blocked - not surprising after 30 years - couldn't be blown .. easier to buy a new a new one .

Halray, here in Lismore can do all the brakelines for a K.

9Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Re: Wanted RS brake hose on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:32 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
@werewasi wrote:I'm puzzled though why when i look at the hose on my 83 RS the hose seems longer - say 180mm, whereas this one is only 120mm centre to centre of banjo.

any ideas ?
Nooo... Inge? Maybe BMW switched to a one-size-fits-all policy at some point? I made my own brakelines to eliminate the centre tube. It looks neat but IMHO it's a complete PITA; being forced to dismantle the hydraulic system to grease the headstock bearings is not on.

10Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Re: Wanted RS brake hose on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:23 am

werewasi

werewasi
Platinum member
Platinum member
Good idea Dai,

I'll do this when i have to do something brakewise with my other 83 RS. Obviously you did the pipe in rubber?
Since i haven't attempted to grease the bearings, can you explain how this mod alters the procedure. Don't you have to disconnect at some point?

11Back to top Go down   Wanted RS brake hose Empty Re: Wanted RS brake hose on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I use braided hose... a raid on ebay netted thirty metres of the stuff in blue, black and translucent for about £2.50 (AU$5.0) a metre. I also got a whole load of -3 (dash three) olives at a silly price (10 pence each) , but I have yet to score silly prices on banjos. I live in hope... and keep looking.

The problem is finding somewhere to fit the brake hose splitter. On LFB I bolted it to a bracket welded to the fork brace (yes... I made my own fork brace bridge (sigh) Razz ) but on Brick2 I mounted a plate on the bottom fork yoke. In hindsight that was not a good idea because I had to chop up the fairing chin piece to allow clearance for the plate. OTOH Brick2 wasn't originally going to have a fairing on it. The splitter on LFB came off a Kawasaki 1100 Spectre and the one on Brick2 came off an Aprilia Atlantic.

I think what I'd do now is a bit counter-intuitive. I'd mount the splitter on a plate placed under the headstock where the standard tube exits. I'd use a long through-bolt to the top of the headstock to hold the plate and use the opportunity to tidy up the hole left by removing the OEM hydraulic system by covering it with a bloody big washer or similar. When you need to grease the headstock bearings it's a case of remove the bolt and the splitter drops free, then unbolt the master cylinder and the calipers and the whole hydraulic system should come off in one piece.

A whole lot easier than having to split the system and then on reassembly, go searching for the copper banjo washers you haven't got and spend hours re-bleeding the system when you finally buy some.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum